Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I want to build a sleeping platform for my 90 shortbed.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to build a sleeping platform for my 90 shortbed.

I'm going to be heading out west when it warms up a little more and I want to build a sleeping platform so I can store my boxes and a couple back packs underneath. I'm not much of a carpenter but, I'm thinking a 4X8 and then hold it up with a few 2x4's cut to fit. I want to do it on the cheap as I just bought an LCE Header and I need to fix the front brakes and rotors too. I'm open to any and all suggestions from anyone who has built one of these for their shortbed or just anyone who has a better idea than mine.

cheers
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM

subscribed im interested in seeing all the ideas/your progress
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 PM

after using the good old search feature I found this: It looks like a really, cheap ,easy and effective way to go
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=27914

what i really like about his design is the use and layout of the 1X10's, then you just plop some plywood on top of it, put some carpet on and you're good. I will probably do something very similar to his.

Last edited by pruney81; 02-21-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pruney81
after using the good old search feature I found this: It looks like a really, cheap ,easy and effective way to go

what i really like about his design is the use and layout of the 1X10's, then you just plop some plywood on top of it, put some carpet on and you're good. I will probably do something very similar to his.
That's awesome. Looks like you could fit an icechest underneath too, as well as the rest of your stuff. Great for security.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 PM

I like the simplicity of it, it will suit my needs perfectly as I thinking about getting a Thule or Yakima box for the top but they are pricy and I'm already dumping money in my LCE and exhaust, plus I bet a big cargo box on top would kill gas mileage, especially going cross country. Definitely an ice chest and a coleman camping stove with a pot and pan or two

Last edited by pruney81; 02-21-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

I like the simplicity of it, it will suit my needs perfectly as I thinking about getting a Thule or Yakima box for the top but they are pricy and I'm already dumping money in my LCE and exhaust, plus I bet a big cargo box on top would kill gas mileage, especially going cross country. Definitely an ice chest and a coleman camping stove with a pot and pan or two
I bet a roof mount box would take about 2-3 or more MPG, which would really add up if you're driving 1000+ miles. All I need is a truck to put one of those platforms in....
Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 AM

I took a look at the link provided. Nice set up. I had an old van before my Yota and I built a bed platform for it, but I had a different take on it. I bolted four milk crates to my floor. They are lightweight and very strong. My top sheet had small blocks glued and fastened to the bottom so that the top sheet fit into place over the crates and didn't slide around. The advantage of the crates was the lightweight, strength, availability, that they left more open space on the floor for larger non narrow items, and the fact that you could easily look to see the contents inside. Most of the storage area was accessible by just lifting the sheet . If I needed full access the top sheet came right out (it didn't have to form fit to the sides to stay in place so it was easy to remove). I carried a small line that could hook above and hold one side of the sheet up while I was getting stuff out. The whole scheme worked great until I got stuck waaaaay out on a mud/sand flat up near Humboldt. Had to pull the topsheet, cut it in two and use the two sections to drive forward until just off the sheets and then hustle them around front to go eight more feet (only had to dig out a few times). Just one more advantage to a nonfixed topsheet (made a heck of a camp table too). When I used the van without the bed platform I just popped the bolts back into the holes in the bed with a rubber washer to seal. With the crates you will get less headroom and more storage space. Just a suggestion!

Last edited by nobrainsd; 02-22-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to go the same route when I still had my truck. That all changed when I got my 4runner but I still think it's a great freaking idea for a sleeping platform in a pickup.

edit: Also some good ideas here. http://www.bajataco.com/vehicles/vehicles.html

Last edited by Junkers88; 02-22-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
there is any even cheaper way do go. Mine is vary cheap modular and provides even more space. Ill get some pics and post them..
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
there is any even cheaper way do go. Mine is vary cheap modular and provides even more space. Ill get some pics and post them..
I've seen the rest now i want to see the best...

Subscribed
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm interested to see what you come up with as well. I have been working 150 miles from my house for the last few months. The hotel bills rack up pretty fast. Now that the weather is warming up I wouldn't mind just sleeping in the back of the truck once in a while.

My only problem is finding a good priced cap for my shortbed truck. Anyone know a source for truck caps that are less than $1000? I can't find any used ones that will fit my truck.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rustypigeon
I'm interested to see what you come up with as well. I have been working 150 miles from my house for the last few months. The hotel bills rack up pretty fast. Now that the weather is warming up I wouldn't mind just sleeping in the back of the truck once in a while.

My only problem is finding a good priced cap for my shortbed truck. Anyone know a source for truck caps that are less than $1000? I can't find any used ones that will fit my truck.
I've got a couple, but they're a little bit of a drive from PA......
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM

here are the pics, here are the pics, here are the pics.

the platform laid out.

all this gear fits with space to spare

this is the platform folded up and how i drive with it everyday.

this all the gear loaded. notice all the space i have to spare. the blue ice chest is my recovory box, easy to get to and so is the cooler for the drinks and snakes. notice the highlift and com-a-long to the left.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:31 PM

looks like now one is interested now.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM

Here's my camping box. It just clears the wheel arches so its rectangular. Should work in a truck too.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Here's my camping box. It just clears the wheel arches so its rectangular. Should work in a truck too.

any pics of how you have it loaded?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM

'fraid not, but here's a description:

There are 5 compartments.
The first section sits on top of the rear passenger seats. This part is actually removable when I want to use the seats for passengers. There are two compartments that are about 24"x24"x7". Into these, I've loaded non-perishable foods in one, and pots, pans and cutlery in the other.

The second section has three compartments- one long one the width of the cargo area that sits behind the wheel wells to and extends to the tailgate- this houses my HiLift jack, recovery gear, my on board air hose, a BBQ grill, leather gloves etc. Two more compartments sit in between the wheel wells behind the seats. One houses tarps, my stove, propane, lantern etc and the other has my toolbox, some oil, coolant, a spare headlamp, idler arm, tie rod end etc.

Empty, it weighs in at about 50lbs total.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
'fraid not, but here's a description:

There are 5 compartments.
The first section sits on top of the rear passenger seats. This part is actually removable when I want to use the seats for passengers. There are two compartments that are about 24"x24"x7". Into these, I've loaded non-perishable foods in one, and pots, pans and cutlery in the other.

The second section has three compartments- one long one the width of the cargo area that sits behind the wheel wells to and extends to the tailgate- this houses my HiLift jack, recovery gear, my on board air hose, a BBQ grill, leather gloves etc. Two more compartments sit in between the wheel wells behind the seats. One houses tarps, my stove, propane, lantern etc and the other has my toolbox, some oil, coolant, a spare headlamp, idler arm, tie rod end etc.

Empty, it weighs in at about 50lbs total.
sounds vary organized. it cool the forward box is removable.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM

sounds vary organized. it cool the forward box is removable.
Yeah, I like removing that box when I'm on a fishing trip with friends and not camping, as my truck is inevitably the most reliable and capable being the only Toyota, the dishes and non-perishable foods aren't necessary for these trips anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want to build a sleeping platform for my 90 shortbed.