86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i need a clutch and throw out bearing, but too many choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow i need a clutch and throw out bearing, but too many choices

been working 20_+_ straight hours, and tired.
tried searching for a clutch.
but
stage 1-7, omy-foggy.brain cells. ive heard of stage 3, but 7.
too many choices.

i would prefer a stock or slightly beefier clutch disc, and t-out bearing kit.

but dont want to spend 300bucks. is it inevitable >>
, you all have been great.
and
i would love to do this proceedure this weekend. (in the parking lot if necessary).

so.
where is a good place, decent prices and good clutch kits to choose from?

thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.marlincrawler.com
Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
x2 cant go wrong with a marlin
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I will vote marlin aswell. Great product.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mmmm.....yeah. They're alright.....

Marlin Crawler....1200lbs of pure clutching power!!!!......
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
We have OEM style and ceramic clutches on the website.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a stock engine (not a 3.4) I would put a stock TOYOTA clutch in it. The 22RE's do not have the power to slip a stock clutch unless you are pushing on a wall and from what I hear a 3slow doesn't either. Stock has the best feel without grabing. IMHO aftermarket clutchs are a gimick and only nessesary for racing applications (ie rock crawing).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM

I would stay stock....But if you want to upgrade then go with Marlin.

Last edited by -ROKTOY-; 11-07-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
If you have a stock engine (not a 3.4) I would put a stock TOYOTA clutch in it. The 22RE's do not have the power to slip a stock clutch unless you are pushing on a wall and from what I hear a 3slow doesn't either. Stock has the best feel without grabing. IMHO aftermarket clutchs are a gimick and only nessesary for racing applications (ie rock crawing).
I can partially agree with that. It does depend on application, but also preference.....all marketing and "gimmick" aside. Try starting out from a dead stop on steep, steep grades......especially with any weight in the back. There a several on my regular routes through town where I live, and I've smoked the stock several times before it went out. Granted, it lasted a good while, but nothing like having a bit stronger of a clutch for my daily driver. The 1200lb'r from Marlin is much better than the stock I had.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 AM

I agree "application" is key. If you have a lot of weight in the truck or are pulling with it then a heavier spring rate would be better. But if you are riding the clutch that much to go up a hill that you are going through clutches, YOU have the problem not the clutch (or you have a heavy load on and have to ride it).
That 1200lb one sounds good though if you want a bit more force.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marlin has two kinds - a 900lb stock"ish" one and a 1200 lb one. Both are basically like the stock disc (not pucked, etc). The disc is SECO and the pressure plate AISIN IIRC. Either one is a better choice (and cheaper) than stock. I went through a lot of reviews and never read one negative about the Marlin clutches.

Lots of mixed reviews on the Centerforce clutches, maybe more negative reviews than positive.

Not many reviews on the ceramic clutches (Marlin and others have them) - sound like they are kinda grabby and only really good offroad with super low gears (ie - you won't ever have to slip it)
Old 11-07-2007, 12:00 PM

all i can say is dont go with a centerfroce, their reliabilty has gone off the deep end and they definately no longer make a quality product. This is from personal experience that literaly took me months to get sorted out just to get my money back...

I remember TC and i discussed this breifly when we were both ordering new clutches, it seems his worked out great, the centerforce one on the other hand... yea jsut stay away from it.

Last edited by apalmer1; 11-07-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Get a transmission jack, and 4 jackstands that can prop the vehicle up.

If this is your first clutch rodeo, plan on two full days....
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Marlin crawler is top of the list.

thanks for the help everyone. i will post pix of it if i remember.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM

I wanted a Marlin Crawler clutch, but they don't cater to the 2RZ, and that is the engine that is going to replace my 3VZE. I did order the 2/3RZ R series bellhousing though from Marlin. The 2RZ has a smaller disc and pressure plate. I ended up ordering a Competition Clutch Stage 4 "6 puck" race clutch from Paradise Racing on the custom tacos forum (www.customtacos.com). Luis on there runs a 2RZ in his AE86 that runs 7.55@181mph. Mine will be mostly stock though. I am currently running a Centerforce Dual Friction and won't be able use it on the 2RZ/R151F with dual cases and 244:1 crawl ratio.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM

my lesson for my clutch was a littile pricey i bought the marlin crawler clutch and this was for my 97 4runner 5spd 3.4 4x4 and the marlinin good but its a stock clutch disk aisin and seco are the same company the pressure plate by aisin is realy good but i went to my local clutch shop for a clutch for my brothers truck and i showed my parts that i bought from marlin and he told me they were really good parts but its not a hevy duty clutch he dosent conisder an organic materials heavy duty he told me ceramic is heavy duty but its to harsh and didnt recomend it then they had a custom clutch disk made of kevelar wich is the one i bought and to this day love it its says to last 5-7 times longer than stock.and it grips great im not taking bad about marlin because it is a relly good clutch kit the only reason iwent with the kevelar clutch was because i knew that i was going to off road ,tow,lift ,and supercharge my runner well there is my two cents hope no one gets mad but just thought i would share my story hope it helps you decide i know that it was hard for me.like stated the marlin clutch is a great clutch kit i jus wantedi littile more heavy duty clutch disk but not the extreme of ceramic
Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mcleranf1
my lesson for my clutch was a littile pricey i bought the marlin crawler clutch and this was for my 97 4runner 5spd 3.4 4x4 and the marlinin good but its a stock clutch disk aisin and seco are the same company the pressure plate by aisin is realy good but i went to my local clutch shop for a clutch for my brothers truck and i showed my parts that i bought from marlin and he told me they were really good parts but its not a hevy duty clutch he dosent conisder an organic materials heavy duty he told me ceramic is heavy duty but its to harsh and didnt recomend it then they had a custom clutch disk made of kevelar wich is the one i bought and to this day love it its says to last 5-7 times longer than stock.and it grips great im not taking bad about marlin because it is a relly good clutch kit the only reason iwent with the kevelar clutch was because i knew that i was going to off road ,tow,lift ,and supercharge my runner well there is my two cents hope no one gets mad but just thought i would share my story hope it helps you decide i know that it was hard for me.like stated the marlin clutch is a great clutch kit i jus wantedi littile more heavy duty clutch disk but not the extreme of ceramic
Punctuation: punc?tu?a?tion [puhngk-choo-ey-shuhn]
?noun 1. the practice or system of using certain conventional marks or characters in writing or printing in order to separate elements and make the meaning clear, as in ending a sentence or separating clauses.
2. the act of punctuating

sorry, but your sentece was SO hard to read
Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Punctuation: punc?tu?a?tion [puhngk-choo-ey-shuhn]
?noun 1. the practice or system of using certain conventional marks or characters in writing or printing in order to separate elements and make the meaning clear, as in ending a sentence or separating clauses.
2. the act of punctuating

sorry, but your sentece was SO hard to read
yea sorry my lap top key board isnt very good it works when it wants to
Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Hey that Kevlar clutch sounds pretty cool. You gotta link or a company name you could drop?