Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I know injectors tick BUT

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know injectors tick BUT

I can hear my injectors loud and clear with the hood down... in the cab while im driving.... I am really sure there is something wrong with them... when i step on the gas i can hear my injectors clicking over even the rest of the motor... they are the loudest thing in my engine bay... I want to take them out and inspect them and maybe have them cleaned...

How much does it cost to clean them? I heard injectors dont go bad they just get dirty. It doesnt look hard to take the intake side injectors out but the passanger side ones look hidden under the intake manifold... do I have to remove the entire manifold? (Vacuum lines SCARE me even with pictures im not sure i could put all the vacuums lines back where they belong LOL

So whats the process for removing injectors out of the 3vze? and who cleans them the RIGHT way? or do i just call autoshops and ask all day long till I find a place?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

You sure it's not the valves or lifters you're hearing?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM

LOL its your lifters, also taking them out is a huge job, intake,tb,wires,couple bollts, then you just pull off your fuel rail allong with your injectors, you could also clean them yourself, theres some DIY on honda-tech, and vwvortex , just search cleaning injectors
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM

I had the HG done about 10K ago so it was all set and redone then... and using the good old prybar to the ear i dont hear the ticking loud at the heads but when i put it on the fuel rail its LOUD so im 95% sure its coming from the injectors... not to mention when i give the truck a lil gas i can smell fuel fromt he tail pipe like its running rich...

I just always have to have everything running perfect.. ive redone the cap rotor wires plugs headgasket ISR mod k&n stock replacement. and other then the sound of the fan the clicking is the loudest most annoying sound... when i go by a concrete barrier on the freeway it echos off the barrier and i can hear it with the window down. Very annoying sound... almost as bad as the, omg did i just snap my truck in half sound i get when i lock the tires in a u-turn.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM

could also be an exhaust manifold leak, if you can hear it along the barriers and it smells like fuel.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Albert.G
LOL its your lifters, also taking them out is a huge job, intake,tb,wires,couple bollts, then you just pull off your fuel rail allong with your injectors, you could also clean them yourself, theres some DIY on honda-tech, and vwvortex , just search cleaning injectors
I didnt think solid lifters clicked unless there is way too much play in the vavle train unless the clearences wernt set right when the HG was done at the dealership but it has made this clicking eversince i got the runner i just always thought it was a vavle too until it got the HG done and the sound was exactly the time...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM

yeh whats with the uturn huge clank... Hows your idle? you could be set advanced timing, hence the unburn fuel/ticking
Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 AM

the clank is just the stops hitting together metal to metal and if the tire goes up or down it scraps loud agains the metal to metal stop. I just need to grease the hell out of the area. the idle use to be all over the place until i did the ISR and found my intak was craked and leaking now the idle is pretty stable just at times its 100-200 rpm off but im not worried about it seeing as how it use to range from stalling to 1200 lol... but i assume the timing is stock (whatever that is) seeing as how the dealership had to set the timing after the headgasket removal.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get a long screwdriver. place the tip on various parts of the engine, and place the handle to your ear. it'll help you diagnose where the ticking is coming from
Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MRecio
... and using the good old prybar to the ear i dont hear the ticking loud at the heads but when i put it on the fuel rail its LOUD so im 95% sure its coming from the injectors...
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
get a long screwdriver. place the tip on various parts of the engine, and place the handle to your ear. it'll help you diagnose where the ticking is coming from
hey Alex, see the above post...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

i would adjust the lifters again, before tearing in the the injectors.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by tortis
i would adjust the lifters again, before tearing in the the injectors.
If it was really coming from the lifters wouldnt i hear it when i put the screw driver to the valve covers? its actually relativly quiet when i do...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Have you checked your steering shaft seal?
Look where the shaft goes thru the firewall.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MRecio
If it was really coming from the lifters wouldnt i hear it when i put the screw driver to the valve covers? its actually relativly quiet when i do...
it is just easier to check the lifters than start replacing injectors. harbor freight sells a cheap stethascope ( i don't know how to spell it) you know the thing the dr.s use to listen to your heart. any way it has a long tube you can put on your injectors and listen to them, and see if it is them making all the noise.

Last edited by TORTIS; 10-11-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM

I will have to check it out i did it with a screwdrive but this sound like a much more accurate way.. i also need a timing light too so ill have to go toy shopping SOON and find the cause of this clicking. until then ill run another thing of seafoam thru it...

as far as seafoam goes would it hurt to add it to the tank that only has maybe 1/4 tank to make it more concentrated? or would it hurt something?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM

C'mon guys stop this! A 3vz-e does not have lifters. It has tappets.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JackKnife
C'mon guys stop this! A 3vz-e does not have lifters. It has tappets.
I feel dumb... I thought the cams were DOHC but i figured they knew more then I did so eh i still very very NOT SMART lol

well anyways i ran seafoam thru the gas tank in the crankcase (changing oil tomorrow) and thru the brake booster.. and WOW did this thing let out some smoke!!!!! i even did it twice and it blew almost as much out the second time as it did the first... my neighbor came running over I think he thought my truck was ganna blow up and told me to shut it down LOL.. I was thinking tho should i keep running seafoam thru it till the smoking is almost completly gone?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will always smoke, that is the seafoam burning off. I have the exact same issue as you. I'm figuring it's valve lash that needs to be adjusted, but a friend of mine said it's a huge job as they engine uses shims as adjustment. And the shim kits are fairly expensive from the dealer. I just turn the music up
Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM

I thought it might be the seafoam burning but then why doesnt it throw ANY smoke when u put it in the gas? kinda weird... oh well she is running fine... bad MPG but oh well next it timing... anyone wanna send me a light!?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM

LOL I just bought a light. Damn good tool. Unfortunately I don't think I'll use it again for the next 2 years lol. I have a clicking valve as well. I have been worried about it for some time. How much would it be to have a shop re-shim one head (just rebuilt the other one). Also, how long will it be before it developes into a real problem. Or will it??

Quick Reply: I know injectors tick BUT