Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I guess my old '93 4Runner is sort of "rare"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess my old '93 4Runner is sort of "rare"

I was just doofing around on the net trying to decide if I was going to repair/modify or replace my '93 4Runner and came across this:

>>

9. Option Installment Rate

Generally, when you order a new car you have a choice of factory-installed options. When you buy a pre-owned vehicle the choice is limited to what was actually installed on vehicles sold in that model year. Use this option installment rate as a guide to the chances of finding particular options on a pre-owned vehicle. Source: Ward's Automotive Yearbooks

1993 Model Year

Installment Rate

Engine:

2.4-liter 4-cyl. 3%

3.0-liter V-6 97%

Transmission:

Auto 62%

Manual 38%

4WD: 83%

Air Conditioning: 97%

Cruise Control: 98%

ABS Brakes: 96%

Power Windows: 97%
<<

Mine is a '93 with a 4cyl, 5sp, no airconditioning, no power windows, no ABS, and no cruise control.
Gee, I kinda feel a little special now
Think that makes it more valuable? LOL!
Somewhat pointless post...back to surfing.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

I've got exactly what you have, and it's a 1995 4Runner.

Troy
Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My 2nd Toyota truck (my first 4WD) was a '90 Extracab 4WD.
No power windows
22RE engine
no air conditioning
no cruise control
5 speed
just a plain jane rig.

That truck handled and drove better than my '91 4Runner that was pretty much loaded and with the 3.0 V6.

That old truck pulled a tent trailer and a bed full of camping gear over many a mountain pass to go camping and on trips, and I know the 4Runner would never have been able to do so at the same speed.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM

ya mines weird too... its a 94 with the SR5 pack but still has manual windows , locks , no cruise, manual, the only thing that makes it at all sr5ish is the chrome accents. I actually thought the dude that sold it to me might have put the sr5 tag on the back himself( but then i remembered he had no skills)...

anyway who wants all that , just more just to break when you roll windows deep through a pond or river.... which reminds me I need to build a snorkle
Old 09-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If only it was 2WD it might actually be worth something lol.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bry-an
ya mines weird too... its a 94 with the SR5 pack but still has manual windows , locks , no cruise, manual, the only thing that makes it at all sr5ish is the chrome accents. I actually thought the dude that sold it to me might have put the sr5 tag on the back himself( but then i remembered he had no skills)...

anyway who wants all that , just more just to break when you roll windows deep through a pond or river.... which reminds me I need to build a snorkle

Sounds close to mine, sr5 package, manual locks and windows, no cruise, no factory rear speakers.

I do have the sunroof, buckets, and AC (not working ) and the chrome trim and all the extra interior peices.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Haha my 93 has every 'common' option on that list, I guess it'll never be a collecter car.

BTW, you couldn't give that thing away in cali with no A/C. You hear about elderly people dying during heat waves in cars like that! Not ragging on your ride, just saying...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 PM

It would be worth 30k if it was 2wd.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalWheeler71
Haha my 93 has every 'common' option on that list, I guess it'll never be a collecter car.

BTW, you couldn't give that thing away in cali with no A/C. You hear about elderly people dying during heat waves in cars like that! Not ragging on your ride, just saying...
Oh, trust me, my wife rags on in plenty LOL! I love heat and hate AC, but she and my son feel quite differently. That is part of my dilemma. It's hard to have a family camping rig in the desert part of Colorado where 100 degrees is normal and keep everybody happy. Since it is 2 against 1, I'm fighting a losing battle. So, I am having to decide between just adding AC to this one which would be a big hassle along with other work or just finding another with AC and comforts.
This one is in the early stages of 22re syndrome too. Maybe a tiny little bit of rattle in the timing chain, little wrist pin rattle...all the usual stuff. Add a clutch that is hinting at future weakness and I am trying to decide whether to throw money at it or throw it away and start over with something with more family friendly options.
It sorts of ticks me off that it took me 3 months to find this one and I've only had it 3yrs or so. Last truck I bought I've had for 15yrs so I'm kind of used to sticking with what I have. Of course, what really gets to me is that I went ahead and bought it even though I knew it wasn't what I really needed; just what I wanted to suit myself. Hurts to be stupid
I may wind up convincing myself to put the AC back into my '85 4Runner redoing the suspension and living with the hassle of only two doors on family camping trips. Ben is big enough now he can climb into the truck, but buckling him in could be annoying and I need to come up with some good belts for the back before then as well.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Ummm, yeah. LMAO!! Just like my S-10 was, huh.

Look it up under "Fleet/GSA" Options. The "Stripper" models were sold under a different category. Most dealerships had a few come through over here, they were geared for sale to the construction and maintenance companies. Usually they also had beefed up suspension and tow upgrades as well.

What's the link for that anyhow, I wanna do another look into my late '95 2wd Auto Runner, no roof rack, steel wheels, AM/FM deal. When I had a Toyota tech friend look it up on their computer he couldn't believe what I'd found, and kept shaking his head, saying "WOW, these weren't made this way, she (the original owner) had to have been forceful about ordering it this way, because it wasn't originally intended for sale out here. They had to upgrade the emissions, etc."
Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
Oh, trust me, my wife rags on in plenty LOL! I love heat and hate AC, but she and my son feel quite differently. That is part of my dilemma. It's hard to have a family camping rig in the desert part of Colorado where 100 degrees is normal and keep everybody happy. Since it is 2 against 1, I'm fighting a losing battle.
What're you worried about, just explain to wife and son the A/C's operated by turning the passenger window crank counter clockwise, while the driver opens his window up. All the Air you'll ever need.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bry-an

My sentiments exactly (for now anyway...). I've got a project 93 4Runner with a/c, cruise, 22re, p/w etc.... and a lot of electrical gremlins. Simple seems to be best for me, and like you said, less breakage, and hence, less worry.

Troy