86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I got rearended

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I got rearended

So, at school today...I was leaving the campus down Bruin Drive, when the car in front of me stops...so I stop, but Johnathan Pugh (who was behind me), didnt stop. He was trying to call someone on his phone, and didnt see me stop! So, he slammed into the back of me. He gave me his insurace info, and I checked his car out. He has about $1500-$2000 worth of damage, but it is still driveable, he wasnt leaking coolant or anything, he could drive it like that for a while if he had too, but he would need headlights and blinkers. I only have about $100-$300 worth of damage! The only thing wrong with my truck is my bumper is bent down. And I may need a U-Joint. We didnt call the cops, for two reasons, I didnt want him to get a ticket, cause he is my freind, and they wouldnt have come anyway. His airbags didnt even deploy, it was a pretty hard hit too!

PS, sorry about the finger, these were taken with a cameraphone, and I am not used to it yet, so sorry.

Now...doesnt that just amaze you, I cant believe that my 17 year old truck can survive a wreck like this! It blows my mind!!!!!! It also proves the toughness of these trucks!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
toyota won again now you see why steel bumpers are better than plastic

Last edited by Elton; 05-01-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
...Or it at least proves that the plastic front end of a sedan can't stand up to a block of 1/4" steel.

Maybe this can be an opportunity to upgrade to a sweet tube bumper with a receiver.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Gota love a TOYOTA!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grand Amowned
Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
Grand Amowned
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope you guys are still friends after your truck is fixed on his nickel.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 PM

wow... you got away clean, bud.

whereabout in TX are you?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:47 PM

yea i got in a wreck like that. except i hit my friend. someone in front of him was going to stop then didnt and it confused my friend who had to hit his breaks and then i slammed on my breaks and i locked up and slammed into him. pissed me off. i started yelling and cursing. it was two days after i bought my truck. my truck cost 70 bucks to fix. new aftermarket bumper and valance. his truck cost 2800 F-in dollers. could have been fixed for way cheaper but he is the most illiterate person when it comes to trucks. he had a dakota. F-in dodges. good for nothing.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

lol, that's pretty funny. Too bad for your buddy though. I agree with Rustbucket, great time to upgrade. Take the money you'll get from the stock bumper and add a little money and upgrade. Or just bang it out and live with it, it really doesn't look that bad.

I'd suggest taking out the license plates and full name of your friend from your post however.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 AM

Why do I need to take his name and our license plates off, what is someone going to do? Try to steal my truck? They arent going to get very far with a bad transmission, bad piston rings, and bad paint.

I think I might just take the money for the new bumper, and buy a off-road one for the back, It would be a good opportunity to do that.

I may also put the money into a newer car (dont worry I will be keeping my yota), I think I am going to buy a jeep wrangler (I know jeep, but they hold more people than my reg cab, and they get better gas mileage, you can take the roof off, and they have a good aftermarket), but my yota is still going to be my pride and joy, I just need something to get me around on the highway, and that I can go a higher speed than 60mph! (If I go higher than 60mph, I burn a lot of oil).

I will be turning my yota into my project. It will go under a body off frame restoration, then modification. I will be getting a new transmission, engine, and I will be rebuilding my transfer case. Lockers will be added, winch, bumpers, rollbar with lights, rims, and a 4-5 inch lift, on 33-12.50s BRG or toyo mud terrains on 16 or 17 inch rims. The interior will be redone, guages will be added, new carpet, bucket seats, build a better box for my current 8 inch subs.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by FingerMan20

whereabout in TX are you?
Yeah,
Where in texas are you?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
His airbags didnt even deploy, it was a pretty hard hit too!
Those airbags can be funny things. My wife got in an accident a couple of months back. She was in a slow head on collision with a ten wheel Mack truck. She was driving a Chrysler Sebring convertible. Her car ended up being totalled and the air bags never went off.

I would also recommend taking the plate numbers and full names off of the post. Maybe nothing will happen but there are a lot of scammers out there that may figure out how to do something with them. I second the vote for anonymity.

Last edited by maxpower_hd; 05-02-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 AM

Good for you for not calling the cops. Those a holes don't do any good anyway in a situation like that.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Why do I need to take his name and our license plates off, what is someone going to do? Try to steal my truck? They arent going to get very far with a bad transmission, bad piston rings, and bad paint.
I believe in some states it is illegal not to report an accident.

I just compare it to leaving your door unlocked and your engine running while running in the convenience store to grab a six pack. Sure, you may get away with it a million times, but then...

It's just common sense in my opinion. Why leave yourself open? What advantage do you gain by leaving your plates and your buddys full name in plain view?

Last edited by wrenchmonster; 05-02-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Schooler
Good for you for not calling the cops. Those a holes don't do any good anyway in a situation like that.
In this case I would agree with you about not getting the police involved but in some cases it's a good to have them present. I was in a motorcycle accident in 2000 and I was actually glad the cops showed up. I was injured and unable to collect any information that was needed. They got all of the necessary information from the other driver while I was being attended to. They also made sure they wrote a citation to the other driver for not yielding to oncoming traffic. That made a difference resulting in a quick settlement instead of a long draw out settlement with the insurance company.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:03 PM

I took his name off, but its too late to do the licence plates.

In this case the cops wouldnt have come, because technically it was in a parking lot, and they never show up unless someone was hurt. I knew what to do anyways, so not that big of a deal. I dont like cops, in fact I have a peace bond on one now, when my sister was younger, my mom would let her have parties, and that freak would just walk in...even if there wasnt a party, that a-hole would just walk in (with my mom by herself) saying ลลลล like "I had a noise complaint," that freak cant even come on our street, even under emergencies, without getting fined. I just dont like dealing with them!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:22 PM

Don't buy a Jeep because they hold more people then a reg cab and the top comes off and they get better mileage. Get a Jeep because you want to trash the hell out of it. If you want all what you said before, get a 1st gen, and then drive like a grandma.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Another point Toyota!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The worst one I've seen happened last week. A somewhat distracted lady rear-ended the company Excursion which had a large drop hitch on the step bumper. The hitch skewered the front of the Acura taking out everything up front (including punching the engine block) to the tune of $11K in damage. Not a single scratch on the Excursion. The Acura was declared totaled. Speed of impact: about 20mph.

Quick Reply: I got rearended