Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I got my truck back after I sold it! What a relief.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my truck back after I sold it! What a relief.

So I had been wanting a 3rd gen 4Runner for the longest time. I wanted something with more seats and could keep my drums safe and dry when transporting them. About a month ago, I bought a 2002 4Runner off of CL. It was in pretty good condition and got an OK deal.

In my mind, I wasn't committed to the 4Runner yet. It felt like I was putting the old girl out to pasture. I didn't think I was going to sell my truck, but I began to think that economically, it was the right thing to do. However, I had what some would consider an bad omen a few days after I posted my CL ad for my truck.

On the way to work, while driving my Runner, the back cargo window on the driver's side slow shatters. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. It was an expensive PITA. I get that sorted and begin to get a few CEL and error codes kicking up from the Runner. I clean the mass airflow sensor and a few days latter, no warning lights.

I get a call from someone that wanted to buy my truck outright, sight unseen because he was looking for my style truck and kept missing them. I said that he would have to take a look at if first. He agreed and as soon as he did, I had felt that I had made a big mistake. I realized that I had owned the vehicle for 13 years with little to no issues. It had treated me well. The guy lived two hours away and he was checking it out the next day.

The next day arrived and we met at a grocery store parking lot. The first words out of his mouth were, "This truck looks great!" I wanted to start pointing out all the minor shortcomings to discourage the sale. He seemed like a nice guy, so I got over the idea and started to think that it was far better to get someone that would love my truck as much as I did.

Well, he bought it. Paid cash. I felt a bit down as I watched my truck drive away. He called about a week later. He said that he had taken it to a mechanic friend and was given a long laundry list of items to be addressed. The main seal, leaky power steering hose, etc. etc. On the one hand, the sale was complete and I could have been, well, that is too bad, you had a chance to look it over or have a mechanic do the same, blah, blah, blah.

But I figured that there was a bit of fate working out for the best. I told him I would buy my truck back, minus a small fee for having it for a week and the extra hassle I would have to go through. In the end, he was happy, I was happy, and I got my truck back. Now, I will hold on to it.

He did take off the running boards and plasti dipped the wheels. I guess I don't miss the running boards, but not sure how I feel about the wheels. There are just some things you need to do now and then that a truck is perfect for. I just realized it right after I sold it. Now, i have my second chance. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails I got my truck back after I sold it!  What a relief.-cimg4095.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 AM

Last edited by Road Bull; 04-24-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM

This makes me happy
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Those plastidipped wheels are actually kinda sweet with your truck.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, the wheels don't look too bad I suppose. My plan it to address a few things to keep it in good shape, and if my wallet allows, I would love to lift the suspension and get some fresh tires on there. Although I have to divide my money and efforts between my 2002 4Runner and my truck. My 4Runner has become my DD, so I suppose that will take precedence for a while.

Having the money from the truck sale for a week helped pull the trigger on a Shrockworks front bumper for the Runner. Had i known that i was going to buy my vehicle back, I might have waited a bit. Maybe I don't need to eat EVERY day for a while. LOL. First world problems...

I would love to address the rip on the driver's side seat and maybe get it painted, but I suppose I have time now that "The Shark" is back.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 PM

You're lucky your truck would have you back following such betrayal!

I wish women were that forgiving...
Old 04-24-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dingotech
You're lucky your truck would have you back following such betrayal!

I wish women were that forgiving...
LOL! You got that right brother! I had such a sinking feeling when someone else was driving away away with it. It wasn't meant to go down like that I guess. Back in baby's arms. Hahaha.

Last edited by Road Bull; 04-24-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you were having those feelings why did you not just say "I changed my mind"

I really have to wonder a person buys something then takes it to a mechanic who sees nothing but $$$$$$ to address minor issues.

Glad it worked out in your favor.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If you were having those feelings why did you not just say "I changed my mind"

I really have to wonder a person buys something then takes it to a mechanic who sees nothing but $$$$$$ to address minor issues.

Glad it worked out in your favor.
Think I was just on auto pilot as far as getting a new vehicle, sell the old vehicle and save money on insurance, maintenance and whatnot. There is just some basic utility to having a truck that you don't get with anything else. And sometimes, this can only be fully appreciated with, the lack of a truck. HAHAHA.