Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I forgot to reinstall the bump stops... Newb Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newb Coil Install and Susp. Help... forgot bump stops..

Howdy folks,

Ya thats right, after installing new OME HD coils on my 95 Runner, I realized I had two left over bump stops. For some reason I thought they would fit through the coils once installed. Nope. I can hear you guys laughing now. This brings me to a few questions.

As you can tell, my Newb status is well established. I have very little car maintenance/ modification experience. I am a trained and licensed airplane mechanic/pilot, but the recent aqusition of my truck is my first time delving into significant land vehical repair/modification.

My questions are as follows.
1. With my new stiffer coils, are rear bump stops absolutely and immediately necessary to be reinstalled? Or, are there any aftermarket alternatives that can be reinstalled without pulling the coils back out?

2. After the truck came off the jack, I measured from the tire (BFG 31x10.5s)
to the fender and there is a full inch difference between the two sides. The left side of the truck (as viewed from behind) is taller, leaning ever so slightly to the right. I have the FSMs and reinstalled the coils as per. Whats up? What did I do wrong, what else is left to do?

3. This leads me to my next question. Are there some other components that need to installed in conjuction with the new coils? From my understanding, the Downy coils come as a kit with different brake line brackets or something.
Also I noticed that some guys have installed panhard drop brackets. Do I need this? With out the bracket could that be what is causing my lean? What about extended brake line for the new coils or addition of BJ spacers?

4. My new OME coils lifted the rear end 2 inches; what options do I have to lift the front end to match? I hear about T-bar cranks or BJ spacers. I also hear that BJ spacers can some how add increased stress on other front end components. Will 1.5" spacers and a slight crank get me back to level, with out hurting anything ? What do you guys recommend?

This is kind of a long thread, thanks for reading. All contributions appreciated.

Last edited by supercub; 06-30-2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Didn't like original heading
Old 06-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supercub
to the fender and there is a full inch difference between the two sides. The left side of the truck (as viewed from behind) is taller, leaning ever so slightly to the right. I have the FSMs and reinstalled the coils as per. Whats up? What did I do wrong, what else is left to do?
I don't know anything about the 4runner's coil suspension, but remember that your gas tank is on the right side. It'll make that side droop when it's full (at least it makes my pickup droop to the right on the rare occasion I have enough money to buy a full tank of gas).
Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think that you have to get the panhard bracket.. cause think about it.. you moved the axle down 2in so it really makes that bar "shorter" horizontally..the panhard is connected to the frame on the passengers side right?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supercub
Howdy folks,

Ya thats right, after installing new OME HD coils on my 95 Runner, I realized I had two left over bump stops. For some reason I thought they would fit through the coils once installed. Nope. I can hear you guys laughing now. This brings me to a few questions.

As you can tell, my Newb status is well established. I have very little car maintenance/ modification experience. I am a trained and licensed airplane mechanic/pilot, but the recent aqusition of my truck is my first time delving into significant land vehical repair/modification.

My questions are as follows.
1. With my new stiffer coils, are rear bump stops absolutely and immediately necessary to be reinstalled? Or, are there any aftermarket alternatives that can be reinstalled without pulling the coils back out?

3. This leads me to my next question. Are there some other components that need to installed in conjuction with the new coils? From my understanding, the Downy coils come as a kit with different brake line brackets or something.
Also I noticed that some guys have installed panhard drop brackets. Do I need this? With out the bracket could that be what is causing my lean? What about extended brake line for the new coils or addition of BJ spacers?

4. My new OME coils lifted the rear end 2 inches; what options do I have to lift the front end to match? I hear about T-bar cranks or BJ spacers. I also hear that BJ spacers can some how add increased stress on other front end components. Will 1.5" spacers and a slight crank get me back to level, with out hurting anything ? What do you guys recommend?

This is kind of a long thread, thanks for reading. All contributions appreciated.

1. Probably aren't critical that they be "immediately" reinstalled, but it would certainly be best to install them at some point.

2. I don't know about the OME coils for Toyota's as I haven't seen them before, however I have a ton of experience with OME coils for Jeeps (TJ's). Those are different (rear coils) for the drivers and passenger side and the coils are marked (DS, PS) with a little tag on each coil.
Are the OME coils for the Toyota's marked ?
On TJ's, installing the coils on the wrong side, will result in the vehicle not being level, side to side.

3. Shocks. Sounds like that you only installed longer rear coils.
Without installing longer shocks also, you've lost downward droop that's equal to the amount of lift that the longer coils provided. That is to say if the coils provided, say, 2" of lift over stock height, then you've lost 2" of downward droop if you didn't install longer shocks.
You may or may not need a longer brake line. Most likely not if you didn't change the shocks as you haven't changed the total travel of the rear axle.
You should get a panhard relocation bracket. I bet if you look at the truck, from the rear, you'll see that the axle is shifted to the side now and not centered under the vehicle (side to side) any more and that's not a good thing.

4. I'll leave this for others to answer/advise.

Fred