Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I can't get the front IFS diff cover to come off....HELP

Old 05-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't get the front IFS diff cover to come off....HELP

I'm trying to take the IFS diff cover off of an ADD v6 4.88 diff to switch axle tubes with my 4 cyl non ADD. Seems like the gasket is acting like a glue, how should I go about getting it off. I've pounded it with a rubber dead blow mallet no go, tried wedging a flat head inbetween the cover and diff and still no go. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
maybe try a razor blade to cut into it and wedge that in there, then get the screwdriver and wedge that guy in there
Old 05-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
maybe try a razor blade to cut into it and wedge that in there, then get the screwdriver and wedge that guy in there
Oh good idea I didn't think of that I'll go try it!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:06 PM

brass drift?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM

no go...
Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by randito
brass drift?
Believe me it aint comin off by pounding it with anything except maybe a sledge hammer but that would mess it up
Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM

Anyone else have this problem before?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you pull the side shafts already? They have to be removed before the 3rd member will drop out? From my best understanding they have to be out. . .
Old 05-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by grant526
did you pull the side shafts already? They have to be removed before the 3rd member will drop out? From my best understanding they have to be out. . .
The diff cover is what's not coming off. This is an IFS unit not like the 8 inch thirds like you have. There is an actual cover like on a dana axle on it that won't budge.

I have to take the cover off in order to remove the axle tubes and half shaft. there is a clip that must be pried apart...
Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
the 3rd member with the gears, yes, the shafts would have to be removed

but I believe the front diff on IFS, the front cover portion is removable, like your average GM, Dodge, or Ford diff. only thing special about it is that it's got a mount on it that connects it to the frame via a rubber bushing

I've cut through cured gasket material like that with guitar string wrap each end around a peice of wood, and run the wire in between the front cover and axel housing, and run it back and forth to use it kinda like a saw. even if you can only get it so go a little bit, you should then be able to get a flat-head screw-driver in there a little, then tap on it with a hammer to wedge it in and cause the two to separate

you DID get all the bolts out, right?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-16-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
the 3rd member with the gears, yes, the shafts would have to be removed

but I believe the front diff on IFS, the front cover portion is removable, like your average GM, Dodge, or Ford diff. only thing special about it is that it's got a mount on it that connects it to the frame via a rubber bushing

I've cut through cured gasket material like that with guitar string wrap each end around a peice of wood, and run the wire in between the front cover and axel housing, and run it back and forth to use it kinda like a saw. even if you can only get it so go a little bit, you should then be able to get a flat-head screw-driver in there a little, then tap on it with a hammer to wedge it in and cause the two to separate

you DID get all the bolts out, right?
haha yeah I got all the bolts out

I ended up grindin my big pry bar down on the edge (thank you craftsman tools I'll just go get a new one now) and slid it threw the bushing and leveraged it off kinda so I got it off!! It was on there tight!

Thanks for the ideas though guys!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM

I had the front diff cover off last weekend, and it took a few minutes of tapping at the mounting boss with a plastic dead blow mallet, but it eventually came off. The only thing holding the cover on (besides the screws) is whatever sealing compound was used; RTV, FIPG, etc..., and superbleeder is correct, you do not have to remove the gear shafts.

A good size dead blow mallet will knock it off without damage, a rubber mallet will just tickle the cover.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cadman
I had the front diff cover off last weekend, and it took a few minutes of tapping at the mounting boss with a plastic dead blow mallet, but it eventually came off. The only thing holding the cover on (besides the screws) is whatever sealing compound was used; RTV, FIPG, etc..., and superbleeder is correct, you do not have to remove the gear shafts.

A good size dead blow mallet will knock it off without damage, a rubber mallet will just tickle the cover.
I did use a dead blow mallet and it didn't come off. I worded it wrong earlier.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
To anyone else who may have this problem in the future. Soak the bolt holes with acetone for 30 min. than pound away, pops right off
Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry everyone. I wasn't trying to upset anyone. I haven't worked on my buddie's 93 much, but i have removed the entire diff carrier once. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, but I didn't remember seeing a removable cover on the front. Sorry! The way y'all described it does make sense.

Glad to hear your got the cover off!!

Good Luck with the project,
Grant
Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Sorry everyone. I wasn't trying to upset anyone. I haven't worked on my buddie's 93 much, but i have removed the entire diff carrier once. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, but I didn't remember seeing a removable cover on the front. Sorry! The way y'all described it does make sense.

Glad to hear your got the cover off!!

Good Luck with the project,
Grant
No worries I don't think anyone was butt hurt by it If it was a solid front axle you'd a been right
Old 05-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i just got mine taken apart a few days ago and that sucker was on there. ended up using a thin, rigid putty knife and a hammer and then it just pops right off - took one whack. I've still gotta check the thread i posted asking questions about swapping tubes, but how are you dealing with the oil seal?

Last edited by highonpottery; 05-17-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i just got mine taken apart a few days ago and that sucker was on there. ended up using a thin, rigid putty knife and a hammer and then it just pops right off - took one whack. I've still gotta check the thread i posted asking questions about swapping tubes, but how are you dealing with the oil seal?
I don't know just yet, I just realized I had to do something about an oil seal after you said something...and I just researched it a little bit.

Anyone know the part number or where I can get an oil seal for the swap? Or a link to some more indepth info on it?

Thanks for the heads up highonpottery
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I use for reference:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

It's handy to have around when you can't find that last bolts holding something on.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
Here's what I use for reference:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

It's handy to have around when you can't find that last bolts holding something on.
Nice! Thanks for the link!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can't get the front IFS diff cover to come off....HELP