Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I am scaring away all the damn deer..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I am scaring away all the damn deer..

Its archery season in Nor Cal and opening day I headed out. I spent the ass crack of dawn driving a few weathered skid roads and noticed a squeaking sound coming from the front end. I am sure I wasnt the only one who noticed this sound. This sound is so loud I am certain I scared everything from hell to breakfast.
I recently did a 2" spacer Toy Tech lift on the ball joints and I believe this is the source. I need to know how to lube up the front end. My Haines book is on loan and I am headed back out to hunt. I got under there and there are no grease fittings in sight. 4wd is different (I think) than 2wd. Mine is a 94 4x4. Any pointers on getting this horrid squeaking to go away and I would be very grateful.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
time to sas it
Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah my tacoma squeeks like crazy sometimes also. most of it now is the sway bar as i put on different uca's with zirks. you might try disconecting the sway bar and see if the squeeking stops or reduces. if it does its time to replace bushings. it also could be the balljoints themselves so check on them too
Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol. algranger has a hidden agenda (kinda like penis envy for trucks )

anyhow, many things could be sqeaking, but in particular the ball joints and suspension bushings would be my first targets. Considering you're saying you got the spacers up front, the lower arm ball joints and bushings may be what's making the noise since they are now operating at a different angle than they were before the spacers were installed.
You might have greasable ball joints so if that's the case, lube them. You only need a grease gun (around 20 bucks at most auto parts stores) and grease. Put a few squirts of grease in there, then drive it a bit, then a bit more grease- you need the grease to get worked around in there.
If you don't have greasable ball joints and tie rod ends, get them! Yeah you'll be out a couple of benjamins but if you keep them greased, they'll last a lifetime.
And then you got the a-arm bushings. Since the lower arm is pushed down by the spacers, those may be the noise makers. There's not much you can do but replace them. If you go with urethane, maybe you can get greasable bushings, otherwise stock rubber is what it is.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-31-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasable ball joints are very nice. A PITA to switch out but doable. How is the movement of your a-arms? We eneded up swapping troy's out due to rust and it was so worth it. He has much better movement now! (Did the ball joints too)
Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM

THanks for the help. Do you mean by "greasable ball joints" simply changing out the plug on the top with a fitting to accept a grease gun???
Originally Posted by abecedarian
lol. algranger has a hidden agenda (kinda like penis envy for trucks )

anyhow, many things could be sqeaking, but in particular the ball joints and suspension bushings would be my first targets. Considering you're saying you got the spacers up front, the lower arm ball joints and bushings may be what's making the noise since they are now operating at a different angle than they were before the spacers were installed.
You might have greasable ball joints so if that's the case, lube them. You only need a grease gun (around 20 bucks at most auto parts stores) and grease. Put a few squirts of grease in there, then drive it a bit, then a bit more grease- you need the grease to get worked around in there.
If you don't have greasable ball joints and tie rod ends, get them! Yeah you'll be out a couple of benjamins but if you keep them greased, they'll last a lifetime.
And then you got the a-arm bushings. Since the lower arm is pushed down by the spacers, those may be the noise makers. There's not much you can do but replace them. If you go with urethane, maybe you can get greasable bushings, otherwise stock rubber is what it is.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
THanks for the help. Do you mean by "greasable ball joints" simply changing out the plug on the top with a fitting to accept a grease gun???
if the joint has the threads to allow a zerk to be installed, then yeah.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:55 PM

thats great!! thanks for the help
I appreciate it very much