YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   How hard is it on the vehicle to recover someone? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/how-hard-vehicle-recover-someone-302536/)

crookchad 11-18-2017 09:51 AM

How hard is it on the vehicle to recover someone?

I have been wheeling my new to me 22re 87 4runner, and this is also the first manual I have had. Yesterday I had to try and pull out s friends car who was really stuck. I used a recovery rope, but besides burning the clutch, how harsh is this on the rest of the drivetrain? My wheels werent spinning it was just me with the clutch partway engaged at around 3000 rpm.

millball 11-18-2017 11:12 AM

Did you use low range low gears??

Everything depends on the unique circumstance of that particular recovery, the gear available, and the skill and finesse of the participants.

Things can indeed be broken, or ruined in short order.

crookchad 11-18-2017 11:13 AM

Yes 4wd low range

High Alt Gold Miner 11-18-2017 01:24 PM

Screw that, get a winch. You'll never regret it.

crookchad 11-18-2017 01:27 PM

Would love a winch but I do not want an aftermarket bumper.

High Alt Gold Miner 11-18-2017 01:30 PM

If you have a Class III hitch receiver, they make receiver winch mounts.

wyoming9 11-18-2017 01:33 PM

So many different variables in this equation

Things can and do break

Years ago I pulled a Jeep in half after telling the owner you might need two wreckers

I was right

muddpigg 11-18-2017 02:35 PM

Too bad about clutch.

To answer your question: yes as you very well now know it is a strain on truck and equipment depending on your set up. I don’t like recovering large trucks. For some reason guys seem to think when they see a rig with a winch they get emboldened. After they get their 3/4 quad cab Chevy stuck up the the axles and I recover them. I have yet to be reimbursed for a strap.

SomedayJ 11-18-2017 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52382516)
so many different variables in this equation

things can and do break

years ago i pulled a jeep in half after telling the owner you might need two wreckers

i was right

hahahahhahahahahaha!

Terrys87 11-19-2017 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg (Post 52382519)
I have yet to be reimbursed for a strap.

I too have never been reimbursed for a strap. I now carry a chain to use on others trucks and a strap for mine.

muddpigg 11-19-2017 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87 (Post 52382586)
I too have never been reimbursed for a strap. I now carry a chain to use on others trucks and a strap for mine.

i personal favorite was a guy in a Liberty. Who got stuck on a climb asked for a winch up. I refused as he had no tow points but a 2,000lbs tow strap attached to A arm. The tow strap that has cast open hooks on both ends. So other guy in their group driving a newer Rubi condescendingly says to me “I’ll winch it.” So me and my buddy push off trail to be clear of any flying debris. As tension builds and Liberty starts over obstacle. SNAP!!! Liberty end of strap breaks and slings remainder of strap and hook in to Rubi grill. In my country ascent I just looked at him “yep.”

The guy in the Rubi proved over and over that driver skill is more important than vehicle setup. I winched him so many times.