YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   How bad is an auto transmission on a stock 22re? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/how-bad-auto-transmission-stock-22re-207315/)

rpl 03-18-2010 06:31 AM

How bad is an auto transmission on a stock 22re?

I know, I know. But I want to get an older 22re 4runner. The wife says yes if she can also use it every now and then. No problem, except she can't drive stick.. It keeps her away from my truck.. BUT i would love to have a 22re to wrench and play on. My question is.. is it worth it despite have an Auto Transmission. I use to have an older 2gen 4 runner 3vze auto and it wasnt horrible. I now have a 93 4x4 3vze std which is great.

92 TOY 03-18-2010 06:33 AM

I've had my truck since it was new 18 years ago...22re AUTO and Ive never longed for having a 5 speed in it. never had any problems with it either (transmission that is)... and I've had it OVERLOADED with dirt and gravel etc etc etc. And I also have a/c.

you're not going to win any races either.

LITLRED 03-19-2010 07:39 PM

I like my auto.

Teuf 03-19-2010 07:46 PM

Dang, i have been spying an 86 2x red pu at school, i ask the girl every day is she would sell to me, its n auto.

pruney81 03-19-2010 08:07 PM

The auto's are considerably slower than a 5 speed. They just transfer less torque to the rear wheels than a five speed can especially since you can control the revs in a five speed. But, it is a somewhat modern vehicle so I'm sure it can't be that terrible. I have never had any experience with a 22RE/auto I would choose a 22RE 5 speed over an auto any day, but I guess if you were in a bind and if you can't teach your wife to drive a stick then get the auto. Just be aware the manual is way better.

OutlawMike 03-19-2010 08:30 PM

I had the exact same problem, so, I went with the 3VZE and an auto. I drove a 4 cylinder with the auto before going for the V6. Not a huge difference between them, but the V6 has a bit more pep.

But, then the V6 dropped a valve seat and I had to rebuild it, all the while thinking I should have gotten the 22RE.

My wife does drive it, even with the locker in it and 33's. I think she is pretty darn cute cruisin around town with the bikini top on the Runner (on the Runner, not the wife). She says she gets a lot of looks, funny stuff.

rpl 03-20-2010 08:16 AM

Thanks all!

I will continue my search for a 22re 4x4 gen1 auto. They are rare for sure. I can find a decent ammount of gen 1 stick.. but almost no autos..

86yota2wd 03-20-2010 06:03 PM

I've got a 22r with the auto and it is pretty gutless off of the line but once you get it going it picks up pretty good considering i would say... i wish i had the stick but oh well. i just feel like you need more torque for the auto because it is geared so high... and currently im having some issues with the overdrive not engaging so thats a downside to an auto as well

waskillywabbit 03-20-2010 07:23 PM

Teach the wife to drive a stick. :hillbill:

:guitar:

boypilot 03-20-2010 08:41 PM

I haven't minded having an Auto... I miss the power sometimes.. but its nice to just be able punch it and go.
Only problems Ive ever had with it was on the dunes i somehow spun the input shaft seal and got a ton of sand worked up into it... oops...

dfarr67 03-21-2010 08:53 AM

Well I didn't have a choice- when buying used. Seems OK good on the highway. I've put in a set of servo's and a big trans cooler. I think they are a better set up than the stick as far as gear oil in the transfer case and no hydraulic lock up. I've been told that they are good for the life of the vehicle. Damn sight better thatn my 700r4 that died at 140k. Just service it regularly. I've had problems with stick too- throw out bearings, clutches, installer- not the driver. I think you'll find that the stick gives the butt meter more power and economy, but the auto gives more towing capacity. But again, I can drive anythinig- wifey has a probem with stick.

pruney81 03-21-2010 08:56 AM

I've never driven a 22re with an auto but I had a few 2nd gen 4runners with the 3.0 and an auto and they were defeinitely faster than my 22re stick I have now. I guess everyone I've talked to outside this forum is not a fan of the 22re automatic combination.

kiyobrown 03-21-2010 10:22 AM

I had a 22re auto for 3 months. Then I sold it to get a 22re 5 speed. I hated how gutless it was, and it was on 235/75's! But it was also pushing 210k on the motor and 60k on a rebuilt auto tranny. Pretty sure that tired motor had a lot to do with it.

I'm sure if you find one in good shape it will do just fine for you.

Ever tried looking in Washington? I always see 22re auto 1st gens. But, since you don't have a location posted, I guess the world will never know. :D

Jay351 03-21-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit (Post 51397974)

Thank you for finally stating the obvious :D

86yotaproject 03-21-2010 02:34 PM

My 88 Dlx ext cab has the 22re and the automatic. Have had it about 3 months, and I hate the automatic. It is slow to get up and go, and doesn't really want to go past 70 on the highway, although I have to figure out the OD button. I will post my own thread, unless one of you guys can tell me, button pushed in, is that OD off or on? Have no owner's manual, and no lights come on. When it is out and I can see the orange line, I can go up to 80 MPH and have pretty OK pickup, but when it is pushed in, it's a dog. Most important, though, is the gas mileage-45 miles each way to work.

Back to the origonal question...love my truck, she's only got 73k on her. Hate the horrible pickup and lack of get up and go, but just started playing with the OD button.Maybe I am just doing something wrong?

SpecialScottie 03-21-2010 03:17 PM

I just swapped a 5speed into mine. I liked the auto while wheeling but hated it on the highway. I also added dual cases when I did my 5speed swap and couldnt be happier

R.DesJardin 03-21-2010 03:37 PM

Autos

I have 4.88's with 36" IROK's. Yes it's slow on the highway, but then again I don't drive it on the highway. In the woods it works fine, do wish I had a dual case option, well maybe that will be a summer project.

Mig04 03-22-2010 03:27 AM

I have the 3VZE with the auto and it feels slow. It's slow to start, slow up hills, and slow fully loaded (4 guys and camping gear). simply put it is slow. on a good day when there are no other cars around me i don't notice how slow it really is.... but i do love the fact that it will go down mountain roads and the transmission is the only break i need. don't get me wrong i love my car when i am off the road, but then speed gets you killed off roading.

pruney81 03-22-2010 06:38 AM

It's really not that hard to drive a stick. You should probably just get a 5 speed, they are sooooo much better. I'm sure you can help your wife figure it out. I always love it when I meet a new girl and she knows how to drive a stick anyways. It's a good skill to have in general, I think.

OutlawMike 03-22-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit (Post 51397974)

I told my wife the same thing and I got THE LOOK....

Needless to say, I have an auto in the Runner.