Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Horn not working - steering wheel not making connection to the steering column

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn not working - steering wheel not making connection to the steering column

Hi all -

I have a weird issue that I'm wondering if it might be related to the improper installation of the steering wheel. I was diagnosing a horn issue (not working when pressing the buttons) on my 88 Toy Pickup. I removed the steering wheel and cleaned the brass ring on the bottom side to ensure it would get a good connection. It was fairly clean already, making me suspicious this was not the problem.

After testing the various electrical connections, I verified the buttons were working correctly and all was well. After I reinstalled the steering wheel, the horn still did not work (all fuses are good, etc.). I peered back behind the steering wheel and noticed the brass ring was not in contact with the brass head on top of the little spring mechanism that the steering wheel brass ring is supposed to connect to. I think this little device is actually on the combination switch in front of the steering column.

I imagine the steering wheel might just not be on the shaft far enough to make contact, but I couldn't get it to go down any further. I inspected my other 88 Toyota pickup and could see that the steering wheel brass ring was making a good connection to the brass head of the spring mechanism on the combination switch, so I removed the steering wheel on the second truck. I inspected the components of this steering wheel and found it to be in good shape, but after I installed the steering wheel on the second truck, the brass ring is no longer making a connection to the brass head of the little spring mechanism on the combination switch.

Is there some trick to installing the steering wheel further onto the shaft to ensure a connection between the brass ring and the brass head spring mechanism? The spring mechanism seems to be in good shape and is at it's full length of travel. I don't think it can be adjusted to protrude out any further.

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i fixed a similar issue in my old 81 using an empty 22LR shell and a new spring, the brass made great contact with the ring on the steering wheel..
Old 10-12-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The little plastic spinner thing that pushes the blinker switch off might not be seated properly. It's white and sits inside the brass ring.