Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

holy dry T-case Swampman!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
holy dry T-case Swampman!!!

All you Swampthing (cause I've been drinking)

Anyways. I'm prepping for a 3 day run with a local 4x club and doing all the usual. Fluids, grease, packing, checking torque etc. Will I pull the fill plug on the t-case and stick my finger in there to check.... nothing. Check the manual and it says 1.7 quarts, ok it's a little low. I dump a quart in there and still nothing. About a third of another quart and its full. HOLY SMOKES!!!!! That thing was running on about a quarter of what it needed this whole time!!!

I must say that it shifts better now.

Oh and are the ball joints supposed to take 15 pumps of grease without showing any excess? Just wondering.

LATERS!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
that reminds me... it's around that time I need to check all my fluids too...

I remember back in the day years ago when I worked for Jiffy Jube, we had a Sami come in there for an oil change. I pulled the plug, and to my surprise, absolutely NOTHING came out... not even a drop... the back of the drain plug was actually dry! I couldn't believe it... and the damn thing wasn't tapping or knocking or anything... crazy...
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
that reminds me... it's around that time I need to check all my fluids too...

I remember back in the day years ago when I worked for Jiffy Jube, we had a Sami come in there for an oil change. I pulled the plug, and to my surprise, absolutely NOTHING came out... not even a drop... the back of the drain plug was actually dry! I couldn't believe it... and the damn thing wasn't tapping or knocking or anything... crazy...

You mean the engine oil? Unless the pickup tube is lower than the drain, I can't see how that's at all possible. Unless the guy drained the oil in the parking lot as a joke.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
You mean the engine oil? Unless the pickup tube is lower than the drain, I can't see how that's at all possible. Unless the guy drained the oil in the parking lot as a joke.
trust me, I was just as baffled as you are, lol

I told the tech upstairs "if that thing comes back with a blown motor, I didn't do it"

Later on I told the guys we should have sent it out with no oil... didn't need it in the first place it looked like, lmao... kinda reminds me of my own sig

Also while working there, I came across 3 dry diffs, 2 dead rats laying on top of some skidplates, and a size 9 mens shoe tangled to a tie-rod once... that one had me worried a bit...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-13-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, I'll bite but my minds going to be warped for days thinking about that one. I can see a dry front diff...think soccer mom who doesn't know what the second gear shifter is for, but a dry rear diff- that has to be making noise.

I replaced my oil pan gasket a month or so ago and I was thinking about all the crap I could put in there to mess with people's minds. I think the best idea I had, was to put a bent up valve down in the crank case.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember that one i like the not better though lol
Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
...I can see a dry front diff...think soccer mom who doesn't know what the second gear shifter is for, but a dry rear diff- that has to be making noise...
2 of them were front diffs, but one was a rear. Strange as it may seem, it wasn't making any noise... it was very hot though when it pulled in, lol. I couldn't imagine it would have lasted to much longer. It was on a Dodge; the guy claimed he was backing up trying to leave out of a parking lot when he hear a lound "CLANG" and the truck jolted to a stop. I guess he didn't think to get out and look what he hit, cause it looked like he backed into some sort of concrete brick or something, it hit the diff cover and put a hole about the size of a dime in it. He said it happened about a week before he came in...

the front's were just pan gasket leaks and people that never let their 4wd see dirt...