Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

high mileage suspension. How to keep the height but lose the stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high mileage suspension. How to keep the height but lose the stiffness?

Well I'm officially a third of the way to my goal of 1 million miles on my 91 extended cab. As any reasonable person would expect, the suspension performance has dipped since the day it was driven off the lot (before I was even born)

I'd really like to give the suspension, well some more give when wheeling off road. the leafs are flat as pancakes and the ride is just plain bouncy, noisy and uncomfortable. however I like the height that the truck is at now with the 32's.
Does anyone have any experience with leaf springs and torsion bars that maintain the stock height but will give old faithful a little more spring to its step? everything aftermarket i've found so far is either a lift spring or advertised as a higher spring rate to compensate for an engine swap or added weight from amour and winches, neither or which I have at the moment.

New shocks will also be installed with the new springs if I can find any. I'm not looking for crawler like twist or pre runner like travel, just a little suppleness is all I ask. am I just best off finding springs off of a lesser used truck at a yard or can someone help me out?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM

You could always get new leafs and torsion bars from Toyota if stock is what you're after.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i gues if its a v6 you could do 4cyl tbars. are you riding on the bumps or what?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Its got a 4cyl so the lighter bars are out of the questions. there's about two inches max to the bumps at resting height. Its mainly the rear end that has no give what so ever.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Keep in mind these are 1/2 ton trucks...even if you're not hitting the bump stops it's pretty stiff back there.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Oh i know, but my buddy has the same year single cab and its worlds softer in the rear. I can jump on the tail gate and hard as I can and get maybe 3/4 of an inch of movement. My dads 3/4 ton dodge mega cab has more squish. I'm thinking a lesser used set of springs may be the way to go then. anyone know if the single cab leafs are much different?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could be seized shocks in the rear. usually springs get weaker not stiffer. i would look at some longer leaves for a softer ride.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM

x2 on seized shocks.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 PM

I totally agree on the shocks, those will be replaced no matter what, i'm just wondering what the best replacement for these are.

Last edited by NBenko; 09-08-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 PM

If you're on a budget, check out the Pro Comp ES3000. If you want to spend a little extra check out Bilstein.

Last edited by BMcEL; 09-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 PM

Good ol' saggy Toyota rear end!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
chevy leaf swap? perhaps?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 PM

There are plenty of spring options out there...search and read.

Last edited by BMcEL; 09-08-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My buddy is loving his loving his Old Man Emu shocks I sent him for the rear(ARB sent me the wrong shocks, then told me, "Keep em, meh", lol)...

Far as leafs, there are TONS of aftermarket replacment packs out there... as well as a mod that I'll possibly be doing, "Adding a large Chevy Leaf, cut to fit, to bring my springs back up +2" or so. I went with a 2" lift, and I'm running Zuk Mod Springs in my rear for now(check my sig, below)....they're serving me really well for now! But I do want to just have the springs back there, eventually, so I want the cheaper, yet possibly more effective method(from what my buddy who's done it says) and go with the "Add a HD Chevy Spring to the Stock Pack" method, lol. Apparently, you can get MAD flex by doing so, and without dishing out 500$+ for a couple OME Leaf Packs or something? Deaver makes very nice Leaf packs that would bolt right up if you wanted stock height... NOT cheap though. I'd steer clear of Powerlift or any of those bigger name chinese made leaf packs.. They seem to sag out pretty quickly.

For the price, for the front, I would look for a sale, then maybe grab some of the Monroe Higher End Gas Shocks/Stock height(monroe also makes Rancho, which aren't very popular on here... at least the RS5000's aren't! lol... But the Monroe middle to higher End ones actually provide a really nice ride for the price), then redo your CA bushings, possibly sway bar bushings(or delete the sway.... I did, no issues). I redid my CA bushings and it's NIGHT and day on the ride rattle/kerplunking noises/jarring, lol. Maybe you could even give the T-bars a turn tighter(would only raise it around 1/2" or less in front), in case they're worn out a bit and causing some bounce?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM

I've heard about quite a few people doing the chevy mod. Do you know if there is a specific model/year that is preferred? Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM

I've got the ES3000's in the back of my runner but they're a bit too squishy for me - especially loaded up. If I had a pickup, I'd throw them in the back in a heartbeat. They'd probably be exactly what you're looking for and they're cheap!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Take a butter knife & some grease & coat the h*ll between the springs everywhere you can get at it. Spray PB Blaster where you can't reach. That should give you some extra give. I agree you need to replace the shocks, too. Bilstein are HARD to beat for supple ride AND the ability to soak up big bumps.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NBenko
I've heard about quite a few people doing the chevy mod. Do you know if there is a specific model/year that is preferred? Thanks
I have a good buddy that is digging up all his papers/measurements/acceptable years info for the single HD add-chevy-leaf method, ....if you're speaking to me? lol. If so, I will post it on my build and here, granting I remember, asap, ok? I want to do this mod QUICK! One problem with accomplishing this is that, well, you have to CUT the ends off the Chevy Spring(they're QUITE a bit longer... but they're also more heavy duty). So, by adding that ONE mongo HD spring, you don't add enough to make it a STIFF ride, but you add enough to bring the sag right out of the pack. While I'm doing this, I'll be greasing everything after painting, etc. Greasing can help...but it will do NOTHING for the fact that your pack is resting almost inverted on the overload, ya know?

IFFFFFF< however, you're speaking of the "Chevy Springs Swap", meaning the entire leaf pack..... That's a bit bigger job, WILL most likely lift it some and you have to relocate the hangers, etc., I believe..... That mod is the 63 Chevy Springs Mod.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What? no one mentioned the Zook mod for him?

Quick Reply: high mileage suspension. How to keep the height but lose the stiffness?