86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"High Clearance" exhaust Idea questions *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"High Clearance" exhaust Idea questions *pics*

So I don't know how many times I've hit my catalytic converter on rocks and sorta "highcentered" on it if you know what I mean (not really high centered but hit it while goin over a ledge) I just got a TG crossmember for when I go to duals which will take care of the boat anchor of a stock crossmember gettin caught up on everything so that leaves my cat way out in the open.

So the plan is to move the cat about 2ft forward to where the muffler is, and move the muffler up under where the stock tire location is instead of directly above the axle and tuck up the exhaust piping as high up close to the body as possible to get it out of the way. I'd be moving the O2 sensors to the proper new locations as well. (Since I live in CA there's one before and one after the cat for emissions...thank you liberal CA! lol ) continue reading below...

The question is, would moving the O2 sensors cause problems with the ECU? Like throw a CEL code or anything like that?

Post up pictures of what you have done for a "high clearance exhaust."

Oh and notice the fresh pain on the sliders too bad it'll be all scraped off here in a couple months and I'll have to do it again lol

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 89silverpu; 05-15-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

It might throw a CEL depends on the exact circumstance. When I got headers for my truck, I had to move the front o2 sensor forward toward the engine and it threw a CEL saying the o2 sensor had a "slow response" and another one for running too rich.

Since I have the supercharger and all the accessories, I was able to overcome that by manually modifying the whole fuel map a little bit leaner to what the ECU was used to, but from my knowledge of things I think I could've also just pulled the EFI fuse (which completely resets the ECU's memory) and have it learn all the parameters from scratch.

The only problem I see occuring is if resetting the ECU won't help because Toyota designed it to "know" exactly how far the o2 should be from the engine. I doubt thats the case...but I honestly don't know.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
It might throw a CEL depends on the exact circumstance. When I got headers for my truck, I had to move the front o2 sensor forward toward the engine and it threw a CEL saying the o2 sensor had a "slow response" and another one for running too rich.

Since I have the supercharger and all the accessories, I was able to overcome that by manually modifying the whole fuel map a little bit leaner to what the ECU was used to, but from my knowledge of things I think I could've also just pulled the EFI fuse (which completely resets the ECU's memory) and have it learn all the parameters from scratch.

The only problem I see occuring is if resetting the ECU won't help because Toyota designed it to "know" exactly how far the o2 should be from the engine. I doubt thats the case...but I honestly don't know.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, changin the O2 sensor locations then not bein able to clear the codes it throws or have it learn the new locations.

Anyone know about the ECU for sure?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM

My exhaust looks just like yours, but I have headers and no cat. The crossover for the headers hangs down way more than I'm comfortable with, but hasn't snagged on anything yet.

My zip tie broke lol
Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, changin the O2 sensor locations then not bein able to clear the codes it throws or have it learn the new locations.

Anyone know about the ECU for sure?

I only have the one o2 sensor and mine was throwing codes, but I think it had alot to do with removing the cat and I had a couple small leaks. After I fixed the leaks it hasn't thrown a code in months. It was throwing the "lean" code, think it was 24 or 25 but it took a few days or driving for it to throw it.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
My exhaust looks just like yours, but I have headers and no cat. The crossover for the headers hangs down way more than I'm comfortable with, but hasn't snagged on anything yet.

My zip tie broke lol
Nice, I have to have a cat though...damn CA smog...
Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Anyone know for sure?
Old 05-16-2009, 03:10 PM

I would like to know to
Old 05-16-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Living in Cali...
Everything about the emissions systems in Cali have gone through stress-testing to attempt to ensure that the components will endure for 50,000 miles in the position they are installed in. Moving the converter any more than necessary to install a new converter will invalidate the 'certification' procedures the equipment has been tested and inspected against and will cause it to fail.
Moving the converter 1" fore or aft is enough to invalidate testing.
New 'aftermarket' converters even have to meet standards as if they were new / oem units.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM

hahha sucks to live in california. i have no air care in my city and i drove without a cat for like 2 years
Old 05-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Living in Cali...
Everything about the emissions systems in Cali have gone through stress-testing to attempt to ensure that the components will endure for 50,000 miles in the position they are installed in. Moving the converter any more than necessary to install a new converter will invalidate the 'certification' procedures the equipment has been tested and inspected against and will cause it to fail.
Moving the converter 1" fore or aft is enough to invalidate testing.
New 'aftermarket' converters even have to meet standards as if they were new / oem units.
Really?? That sucks!! I guess I'll have to keep it in the stock location, just try and tuck it up as far as possible...thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you can not move the cat. as you will not ever be aloud to pass smog. the cat. must stay the same distance down the pipe as it came stock. you can move it vertically but there is not much room for that. your next best two options is:
A. have a test pipe made how ever you like, for a direct fit cat.
B. drive train lift raises everything.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by gary96360
hahha sucks to live in california. i have no air care in my city and i drove without a cat for like 2 years

Haha, I can't remember the last vehicle I've owned that had a cat. The exhaust shops around here get big bucks from people who come in to have them removed. They get paid to remove them and they turn around and sell them.