Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hesitation/stumbling upon shifting, loose/low power feeling; inconsistent; 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation/stumbling upon shifting, loose/low power feeling; inconsistent; 22RE

1992 Pickup with 22RE and manual transmission

Over a month (or 2?) ago I noticed the truck began taking longer to start up than usual. (was having to crank for 3ish seconds before starting, sometimes more - as opposed to an almost instant start before) After some research, I assumed that proper fuel pressure was not being held.

After this went on for a while, it began to hesitate/bog ever so slightly upon up-shifting - just for a second, and only sometimes - and then it would climb in RPM as usual.

It gradually got a little worse over time, and then driving home tonight, it was really bogging/hesitating upon upshifting - for 2-3 seconds, and much more noticeably than before. It would then climb in RPM and continue to accelerate, but felt a little 'loose' - like not full power.

So, I need to get this figured out ASAP. From the research I've done it seems it could be the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump...or the filter? Do these symptoms scream anything in particular to anyone?

^^^The above was written yesterday.

Today, I did a half-ass throttle body cleaning by spraying TB cleaner inside (lots of black and brown liquid came running out) and then starting it up and revving to clear it out. I did this twice and then drove it - it seemed a bit better! I went home and did it a couple more times and then drove it again and it felt 100% fixed. Actually better than before the issue started. I was so happy! I got home and did it one more time for good measure...went for another drive and it's back to doing it again. ???

Does that provide any hints?? Or may have just been a weird fluke...? I dunno where to turn. In most cases I can research my way through things...but this is a challenge. So, here I am.

Much love, and I appreciate your time if you got this far.

Chally
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh BTW - when this issue started, 2 codes were being thrown - but ever since disconnecting the battery the other day, they haven't shown back up even though the issue is more severe than ever. Weird...and I don't remember which codes they were - but one was 20-something, having to do with O2 sensor (but upon researching, found that it could be many things and NOT the O2 sensor), and the other was 40-something. Don't remember details on that one.

Also, this all began very soon after doing the timing chain job. Upon starting it right after the TC repair, there was a bit of thin white smoke coming out for probably 2-3 minutes, and then faded....now I get very thin white smoke coming out on every start-up that I look, but I've heard that can be normal...

Just wanted to add that bit of extra info. If the CEL comes back on I'll report the codes right away.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello Chally...did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same problem in 93 22re 4x4.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by JaredL
Hello Chally...did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same problem in 93 22re 4x4.

Thanks
OP has three total posts, last post a year ago. probably not going to see your question.