Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

here we go again 1989 toyota 22r floods when starting cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here we go again 1989 toyota 22r floods when starting cold

You all might remember my other post about my carb leaking down into the intake when sitting.So i rebuilt it and it quit leaking and it was starting fine and all was well on cold starts.well that was untill the temp around here started getting in the 30s.So here we go again.In the morning my truck floods out when trying to start it.how do I know this. I can smell it and if i wait for 5min and try again it kinda trys to start.then i wait 5 more min it trys and trys then it starts on the 4th crank.things I have done are replace the battery. I tested old one out at only 300 ca,rebuilt carb by service manual with a good kit,changed oil fron 15w40 to 10w30 rotella t.adjusted choke and checked for proper operation.replaced spark plugs,checked and have good spark from my accel super coil.the starter is only a a few months old and cranks fast.timing is right on at 0,I have removed the air pump and all its emissions parts except egr valve which shouldnt have anything to do with it .Is there anything else I am missing?

thanks

Last edited by timothy47129; 11-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timothy47129
adjusted choke and checked for proper operation.
How did you adjust the choke?

I ask because the early 80s choke on the carburetors were adjustable but for emissions purposes, the later 80s chokes were not. Aisan made a tab in the metal casting as well as formed the plastic choke housing to lock in place the plastic choke housing so that it could not be adjusted.

What are you doing exactly to start a cold engine. Tell me exactly your step-by-step procedure.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM

I cut off the little plastic nip on the choke housing so i could adjust it a bit to make up for the bi metal spring weakening over the years just had to turn it back not even 1/16 of an inch.My process is I just get in turn key it stumbles a bit dies them pump gas to set choke and try again and it starts fine untill now that its colder.But the norm for me on carb motor is 1 pump and crank. untill its real cold and it gets 2 pumps and maybe 1 more while im cranking. back to my truck If i try to pump it even once it floods and more pumps just makes it worse.I have tried it all 1 pump,2,3, and even hold half throttle and 1/4 while starting it makes no difference.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What do your plugs look like??

Flooded engine it has been a few years but depress pedal and crank it all ready has enough fuel

Have you pulled a plug when it is in the flooded condition to see if they are wet. Are they gaped correct??

What Brand of gas ??

How low do you run the tank.

Just where do you live big swings in temperature??

Picking up enough moisture so it hard to start once the heads are warm it fires right up.

If cranking system is good the ignition and timing is correct You rebuilt the carb correct.

It can only be bad gas

If the timing is incorrect that could also cause a hard start in low temperatures.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM

have you checked the fuel pressure. what is the pressure. if im not mistaken, you should be running between 6-9 psi. it might be that you have too much psi and its causing it to flood quicker. thats just my logic. i could be completely wrong. lol
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM

I cut off the little plastic nip on the choke housing so i could adjust it a bit
OK, I just wanted to make sure.

but the norm for me on carb motor is 1 pump and crank. untill its real cold and it gets 2 pumps and maybe 1 more while im cranking.
Toyota says to pump twice then start the engine. However, for me, I will have to pump maybe 4-5 times, especially in the winter time. The summer time, 2 pumps usually works.

If i try to pump it even once it floods and more pumps just makes it worse.I have tried it all 1 pump,2,3, and even hold half throttle and 1/4 while starting it makes no difference.
hmmm...I would say the next time you do a cold engine start, check the fuel level in the float bowl before you start the engine.

I say that because it take a lot of fuel to flood out an engine and I really can't see from your description of only 3 pumps of the gas pedal to cause the engine to flood.

I can't remember from your other thread if we discussed how when the fuel in the float bowl drains, and then let's say the next morning you try to start it with 2 pumps, it will start initally, but then the engine will die because there is not enough fuel in the float bowl. When the gas pedal is pumped again and as the engine is cranked over for a couple seconds, that action allows fuel to refill the float bowl to then be able to start and run the engine.

When your thinking that the engine is flooded because of the gas smell and yet not starting, is actually just the gas odor from the pumping of the gas pedal yet the fuel bowl has drained and not starting because of that.

Last edited by slow-mo; 11-08-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM

I have tried to pedel to the floor and makes no difference.the spark plugs are gapped correctly and they are ngk plugs.I havent got around to checking them in the morning when it does it because i am suppost to be on my way to work.but trust me its flooded to the point you can smell it in the exhaust.I havent made it to checking pressure yet.And the fuel is in the middle of the sight glass when it does it.and I always run mid grade fuel the same place I get my premium gas from for my high compression 350 and it runs without pinging.But i do always fill up when it gets to 1/8 tank so it could be water sitting in the bottom of the tank.oh and i fill it up every 2 weeks
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM

well this morning looked and the fuel level was low on in the glass so i guess this ****in carbs still leakin somewere guess ill look for another to rebuild this weekend at the local pullapart.It did start though no pumping first crank chugged a bit died pumped to set choke and it fired up.At this point idk were its leaking its not wet around the boosters or in the barrel like before so im at a loss.I did pour a can of seafoam and a bottle of heet in and filled up with mid grade at a big chain gas station so we will see how that goes.Oh im also going to blow out fuel filter in case it has water in it.I just changed it about 3 months ago

Last edited by timothy47129; 11-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why do you feel you need to burn mid-grade gas??

Are you getting any gas in your oil at all??
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM

well this morning looked and the fuel level was low on in the glass so i guess this ****in carbs still leakin somewere
That's what I was expecting.

Even though you had fixed the leak between the Air Horn and the fuel bowl, that does not explain why the fuel is traveling above the natural at rest fuel level in the bowl.

guess ill look for another to rebuild this weekend at the local pullapart.
I suspect the second one will do the same. Like I mentioned in your other thread, this is a common occurrence. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but I have two OEM carburetors where the fuel drains out of the bowl.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Is your aux. acellerator pump diaphragm ok. Pull vacuum line off and check for fuel in line.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:49 PM

oh boy thats great to know you have 2 that drain down.It doesnt look good for me then.and yes i checked the aux pump per service manual pinching it and letting loose to see if it shoots fuel and it checked out ok and line was dry.Oh and no fuel in oil and pulled pump and checked per service manual.and I run mid grade because our 87 octane around here at most stations sucks it makes my 99 ford ranger run like crap 75% of the time I use it .Its a 50/50 at any station around here the 87 gas is good.so i pay the extra 10-12 cents and run mid grade in all my vehicals and boat too

Last edited by timothy47129; 11-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM

well no luck at the junkyard there were 2 carbs last week now there are none.guess the core guys came in.but i did get a brand new factory muffler for 11 bucks and a power steering crank pulley for 5 bucks to replace the one i made out of a waterpump pulley.guess ill just keep doin what i have been doin start it it dies pump and try again and it fires up has worked the last 3 days doin this.