Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELPP:(1990 toyota 4runner auto, it wont start, seems like a very complicated problem

Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELPP:(1990 toyota 4runner auto, it wont start, seems like a very complicated problem

hey guys, i just baught my 4 runner a few weeks back, i was drivin it at aboutt 80 km it was in 4wd, i thought id just throw it in 2wd again but when i did everything shut off, all thedash lights, the tach stopped working the indicators the heater turnedoff, but it wasstill running, i drove it home and turned it off, wen i tryedto crank it again it was dead, the batterey still has power because the hazardlights and overhead map lights are workin, it just doesnt showany dash klihts or anything, and its stuck in park.. i tried everything to get it in nuetral but it justt wont move.. i am tripping balls but i just cant figure wats wrong with it, can soomeone help please
Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 AM

I am embarrassed with the "Feces Touch" I've been displaying lately (84 Toyota in pieces on another thread), but I am having the EXACT same thing (I think) happening to my '95 4Runner. My wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant and she is not very happy about being down to one car. Among other things! Ha.

Mine started with me changing the contacts on the starter last night. What an absolute b!+ch to do, by the way. Changin the contacts is easy, it's getting that starter out through the fenderwell that is tough. So I change the contacts in the starter, and they were very worn. I thought that was why the Runner wasn't starting consistently, and I put everything back in. I go to crank the car, and nothing..

Battery appears to be low, AND it won't come out of park, now! I couldn't even roll it out of the garage to jump it.

Dash lights are non-existent. A few other lights (battery, back door (the window is down) and seat belt light come on, but they are dim. Lights are dim as well.

But it is STUCK in park. I'm going to throw a battery on it today, just to be able to totally eliminate that being a problem, and hope that it magically starts, and starts shifting again.

Could I have knocked something loose while messing with the starter?
(I'm thinking your shifting to 2wd may have knocked the same thing loose, randomly???)

Last edited by Rusto; 01-24-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM

A complete guess is maybe the brake lights aren't working? The brake has to be on in order to move the shifter out of park.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 AM

I did put on the emergency brake last night, which I don't do that often. I was pressing on brakes when trying to get out of park, but maybe something is going on there.

About to go get a battery.

And I"m baaaack.. New battery did the trick. The reason it wouldn't come out of park is that the power brakes wouldn't depress enough to engage the brake, it seems.

Starts better than ever and drives great. No questions of "was it the battery the whole time?" will be accepted.

Last edited by Rusto; 01-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.