Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help with in-process 3vze vlv cover gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with in-process 3vze vlv cover gasket job

Based on some discussions from this board I traced an oil leak to both of my valve covers... I used the thread here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...e+cover+gasket

which rocked, by the way. Right now I can almost lift the plenum up high enough to start on the valve covers. My current questions are:

I'm betting that both of my cam rear seals are leaking as well so I also am replacing those tomorrow. As I understand it, as long as I don't rotate the cam while I am slipping those in behind it, I won't mess up the timing.

I'm posting some pictures of where I am currently at. Do I need to remove anything else? I stopped tonight when the one hose in front of the throttle refused to loosen. I sprayed it down good with PB-Blast and figured I'd try again in the morning. The plenum lifts up pretty good but either something else is holding it down or it is really heavy.

Other things I've seen... My plenum is really nasty from all the bad gas I'm using. I'm planning on cleaning that out as good as I can later. I'm also planning on changing the oil (I changed it last week b/c it was due) in the next week or so.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

this next picture shows the mung from the leak pretty good:

Thanks for any assistance (and for the awesome website)
Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by navyredneck

As I understand it, as long as I don't rotate the cam while I am slipping those in behind it, I won't mess up the timing.
The cams are connected to the crank via the timing belt. Unless you are removing the belt, you don't have to worry about messing up the timing.

The plenum lifts up pretty good but either something else is holding it down or it is really heavy
There is a hose that connects to part of the reed valve (under plenum) that makes lifting difficult. You can get to the hose clamp with a screw driver. Or just pop it off by forcing it up.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

There is an allen bolt on the back of the intake plenum that you need to remove. Most people have to hunt for it. (In other circles, such as my old Mx6.com and probetalk.com forums we called that a "B*tch Bolt") Its a pain, but its back there, good luck. Search on here, I know I've seen some pictures on here of it during some engine rebuilds, should help you out.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

I was thinking of the 22RE, sorry navy...Imnot sure whats holding in your intake...Wish I could be of more help.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, good news is that left side (from driver perspective) is done, including replacing the rear cam seal. Thanks for the answers to my previous questions.

And, I got the plenum fully disconnected and on its right side giving me full access to the right valve cover.

New problem: The cover is loose but I think the plastic t-belt guard is holding it on? Am I mistaken? The cover wiggles but it won't let go. I removed all 10 bolts and the rear is bumped up against some stuff that I don't think I can remove.

And the harness is so far not in my way. I gave up disconnecting it when I saw two electrical connections down at the oil filter.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

picture of timing belt guard that I think is holding my valve cover on:

If I do need to remove it, how hard will that be?

rear side showing some stuff that I could remove (requires me to lower plenum and somehow reach behind plenum to disconnect stuff...)

overall picture where I am:
Old 07-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Did I say there were 10 bolts? Yeah, I think 10 was the total for the LH side. Looks like the RH side had 11 bolts....

The cover is off, albeit by struggling with all the freakin' wires. It's gonna be one huge pain in the rear to get that sucker back on with the mess I've got right now.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:24 PM

New problem: The cover is loose but I think the plastic t-belt guard is holding it on? Am I mistaken? The cover wiggles but it won't let go. I removed all 10 bolts and the rear is bumped up against some stuff that I don't think I can remove.

No, the t-belt guard does not hold it on. Just pop it up and move it out towards the rear of the engine. Consider doing the pcv mod while you've got her taken apart.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

My drill wasn't doing too well on the old pcv valve so I gave up on the pcv mod until the next time. Maybe my carbon drill bits are not strong enough.

New problem. Truck cranked up fine and ran fine (after I realized my gas tank cap was loose and tightened it down).

However, when I let off the gas I get a simultaneous "A/T high temp" light and a CEL which then go away immediately. The RPM's also seem to jump down and then back up.

I also had the following leftover parts...

ChickenLover, thanks for all the help! My experience working on cars is limited...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 PM

Damn, I hate those left over parts, I think I have enough to build another truck.
Sorry, but I do not see those in my leftover bin.
JMach1
Old 07-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, new day so I did some more looking around. I think I broke my TVV in the back of the plenum...

I'm gonna try the TVV mod from this string and try to do it without removing the plenum. Is this gonna work?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=tvv

picture of snapped off hose:

fuzzy picture of the broken TVV: