86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me find a Coolant Leak.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me find a Coolant Leak.

So I am driving to work on the highway and my temps start to creep up. Some ticking starts and I pull over and the smoking starts. Pop the hood and I see coolant all over the intake side of the engine with the smoke coming from what looks like under the throttle body. It is dark and I can't check now but I need to get this taken care of quick so I am gonna try to narrow it down as much as possible.

My best guess based on location is the coolant by pass hoses that go into the throttle body. Maybe the line broke or came lose?

Almost no coolant on the exhaust side so It would likely be that, the upper hose, or the thermostat area from what I know.

Any ideas and good places to look?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Which motor you got? The section you are in tells me 22r/e or 3.0
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 AM

94 22re sorry
Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

There are two hoses just above the AC compressor, that is attached to a metal pipe, that very few people change out and I see spongy all of the time. It could of broken. Another one that sort of circles the Thermostat that gets neglected that I see in bad shape most of the time as well and from what you are describing is the one that I suspect is loose or broken. Only place I know to get those lines are at the Toyota dealer or Toyota parts dealer.

Below is a copy from my build thread. The hose that I am talking about is the one pictured above the thermostat. I suspect that one. I am guessing the rest of your hoses are probably in bad shape as most are from my experience.

Another hose that I see problems with is the hose on the drivers side Gates#20801 can be replaced from a part store.

Copied....
A while back I was mentioning that my wifes truck water temp guage was going from half way to cold. I actually forgot about it until I drove it today and it did it again. I pulled the water temp sensor and it had green corrosion on the sensor cleaned them with a brass wire brush and then I cleaned the contacts that goes to the wire as well with electrical contact cleaner. No more problems. Stays just below half as it usually does. I knew it wasnt overheating, but still like having a guage.

Here is a picture of a dirty Temperture Sensor. I have seen worse. I chipped some of the scale build up off so you could see a difference.
Name:  DirtyWaterSensor.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  70.4 KB

The sensor sits just below the Cold Start Injector in the Intake manifold. Uses a 17mm deepwell socket and is a 5 minute job.
Name:  Watertempsensor.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  64.8 KB

I use Gates Rubber hose PN# 20801, around $10. It comes is a "S" shaped form, but when you cut the lower part off, it looks identical to the orginal and has the larger opening coming off of the water pump and the smaller end for the horseshoe pipe.

Gates PN#20801, just cut off where my finger is at. Alot cheaper then the dealer.
Name:  seal11.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  96.7 KB

Here it is cut to length and on. I need to get some new hose clamps to finish the job.
Name:  seal10.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  96.9 KB
Old 03-30-2016, 12:25 PM

So I found the hose that blew, it looks like a coolant bypass hose that came from the water pump and loops back to a fitting under the throttle body. No idea what the line is actually called but maybe you can tell from the picture. It went to something that had two sensor plugs coming out, one green and one black.

So I get that replaced and clean out some blockages in the two lines going directly into the throttle body, which I thought would fixed my idle surging, and got it all together.

Now, I am somehow getting coolant into my exhaust pipe. It is just bellowing out smoke and dripping out the pipe. Idle is terrible and I hear a fairly loud ticking on acceleration which is also terrible.
Only thing I can think is the head gasket now. But I am really hoping it is not...

What do you guys think?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If the engine got Hot when the hose failed good bet it is the head gasket

Just maybe if the Aux Air valve failed you could be dumping coolant into the engine.

My luck would be the head gasket.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Before blaming the head gasket, I would do some pressure checks, compare the spark plugs and see if one is cleaner then the others and see if I had any coolant loss.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:57 AM

So check the spark plugs for coolant burn?
The engine didn't really overheat when it started leaking. I noticed the temps creeping and the sound and stopped before it got too high but if it is the head gasket then I need to make the choice whether to rush and put together the new engine I was building or to spend the time trying to fix this one just to redo it in like 2 weeks.
For the new engine I have the block all done and machined and all the parts, but it is my first time doing a full build so I wanted to go slow with it. I have until Sunday night when I have work to finish it up.

If it is the head gasket, is it realistic to do an engine build and swap in that time frame?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 AM

So taking a look, the spark plugs are not looking so hot. They are less than a year old and have a lot of oil buildup and from what I can tell, coolant as well.
The oil burn I already knew about but the orange on the ceramic portion of the plug looks like the coolant (lots of rust in the coolant usually turns it fairly orange).
Does it look the same to you guys?
If it is coolant, then I guess the head gasket went.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
do all of the plugs look like that? i think that any significant moisture in the combustion chamber would have cleaned all the loose crud off of those plugs, see this engine for example: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-...t-club.207301/
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 PM

They all do. Not sure how else coolant is getting into the exhaust if it is not a head gasket.