Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

:help: Just Wondering... Could You Help Out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:help: Just Wondering... Could You Help Out?

Hi all, I'm new here, i migrated over from Toyota Nation, so im not new to these online forums. anyways, few over there can seem to answer any questions, so i thought i give you guys a try.

look in my sig. for my truck info. i have the basic dash in it. (fuel, engine temp, and speed) and i want to upgrade to the better dash (with fuel, engine temp, battery, oil pressure, speedometer, and tachometer)as i will soon want a tach. i found a donor, and i was wondering about compatibility.

what, if any, electrical work would be required to install the dash? is it like everything else in these trucks, the plugs are just tucked in behind the dash, or do i have to install some sending units and do some custom wiring? any information would be appreciated.

also, just a thought, the donor comes from a vehicle that also has the power options on the doors. what wiring would be needed to hook that all up?

thanks a lot!

Clint
Old 06-10-2007, 01:51 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i suggest just buying some after market gauges and saving some money and trouble
Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know people do it but I don't know how some one should be along to help you.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...light=sr5+dash

There ya go
Old 06-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...+guage+cluster

these are a few of the threads i found... Search it and see what else you can find
Old 06-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey bigtrucknwheels! Welcome to Yotatech!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 PM

all I had to do was change the idoit light sending unit to the gage sending unit for the oil pressure.

Other than that, it should be a drop in project.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

sorry i didnt do a search for this... i was in a hurry when i posted. my bad! i wont let it happen again. but thanks for the responses! you guys mean business. just need to clarify some things...

1.) how can i tell if i have an actual speedo cable, or an electronic pick-up unit?

2.) i have an automatic, so i have the associated lights. the donor is from a manual and according to one of the other threads, that makes a world of difference. is this gonna be a problem, or can the wiring be swapped around?

3.) if the provisions for a tachometer aren't in place, what do i need to do to make the tachometer functional?

by the way, i didn't buy the dash, but i am thinking about buying it on Tuesday. if i should try to locate a V6 auto sr5 cluster, let me know.

again, thanks a lot guys! i'll help you out wherever i can!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

not really a bump, but this will work.

so i have been talking to people all around, and so far i got one price quote for an SR5 dash. is 75 dollars a good price? it comes with a six month warranty.

also, i am considering a complete SR5 upgrade. (DIY) i know this much about the SR5: upgraded dash, upgraded cloth, chrome exterior mirrors, different door panels (inside the cab), tilt steering, cruise control on the wheel, 4 spoke alloys, and SR5 badging. i know you could also get power options, but if im not mistaken, you could get the SR5 w/o power windows/door locks? did i miss anything?

I already have the seats installed. the previous owner installed a split bench sr5 front seat. anyone parting out a blue SR5 interior? p.m. me if you are.

anyways, what would need to be done to put power options in the doors? i found a 4runner with blue interior for a donor, and a pickup with blue interior as a donor. the pickup was a standard cab and it looked like it was aftermarket, not factory. any opinions?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
not really a bump, but this will work.

so i have been talking to people all around, and so far i got one price quote for an SR5 dash. is 75 dollars a good price? it comes with a six month warranty.

also, i am considering a complete SR5 upgrade. (DIY) i know this much about the SR5: upgraded dash, upgraded cloth, chrome exterior mirrors, different door panels (inside the cab), tilt steering, cruise control on the wheel, 4 spoke alloys, and SR5 badging. i know you could also get power options, but if im not mistaken, you could get the SR5 w/o power windows/door locks? did i miss anything?

I already have the seats installed. the previous owner installed a split bench sr5 front seat. anyone parting out a blue SR5 interior? p.m. me if you are.

anyways, what would need to be done to put power options in the doors? i found a 4runner with blue interior for a donor, and a pickup with blue interior as a donor. the pickup was a standard cab and it looked like it was aftermarket, not factory. any opinions?

Power windows will need motors, tracks for the under side of the window, wiring and the switches. IMO, Unless you can't physically operate the manual window why go power. Its just one more thing to brake later on down the road.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89truck
Power windows will need motors, tracks for the under side of the window, wiring and the switches. IMO, Unless you can't physically operate the manual window why go power. Its just one more thing to brake later on down the road.
yeah, i have no problem rolling down the windows the old fashioned way, but i have always been one for options. all the little bells and whistles. it is super highly doubtful i will take this conversion that far if i even go anywhere with it. i got a price from the donors. 500 takes it all. i think i can roll down my windows by hand for that price, thank you very much.

did i miss anything on my list?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
yeah, i have no problem rolling down the windows the old fashioned way, but i have always been one for options. all the little bells and whistles. it is super highly doubtful i will take this conversion that far if i even go anywhere with it. i got a price from the donors. 500 takes it all. i think i can roll down my windows by hand for that price, thank you very much.

did i miss anything on my list?
I don't think you missed anything on your list. I'd like to do the cluster upgrade just so I can have a tach. Might do it in the future, or just get one of those monster tachs and bolt it to the steering wheel. NOT!!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89truck
I don't think you missed anything on your list. I'd like to do the cluster upgrade just so I can have a tach. Might do it in the future, or just get one of those monster tachs and bolt it to the steering wheel. NOT!!
why not? that would be pimpin' it!
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Welcome aboard.

After you get used to it over here you won't miss toyota nation. It's like a starter forum over there.

Good luck with the gauge swap.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know for sure about your first gen, but I know that on the 89-95 trucks that they were theoretically available as SR5s without power windows (I have the dealer brochure that shows it), but I'll be damned if I've ever seen one without the power windows.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Welcome aboard.

After you get used to it over here you won't miss toyota nation. It's like a starter forum over there.

Good luck with the gauge swap.

haha thanks. those guys are still bitchin and moaning about you and subliminal. yeah, you are right. for every 1 time i log in over there i think i log in 3 or 4 times here. most of them over there arent interested in anything but drama it seems.

thanks for the reply guys... oh yes, thanks, braknraj. i did some searching on auto trader and found a few. now, if i can just hunt down some door panels. is anyone selling?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

O.K., so its been a while. Here is what id like to do to my truck.

As some of you may or may not know, im working on an SR5 conversion. So far, i got the Seats, 4 spoke alloys, and the digital clock.

What does that leave? Instrument cluster, Tilt steering with cruise on the wheel, and upgraded door panels and chrome exterior mirrors.

Why post this? Because i have a few questions...

1. Tilt steering, how does one swap that in? I know nothing about steering columns. Is it going to be difficult? Also, is 150 for a complete column with wiring harness a fair price?

2. Door panels. I have yet to find any blue SR5 manual door panels. However, i did find 2 completely powered doors (mirrors, windows, and locks), blue in so so condition. I think a little TLC would fix them up. They are from a 4Runner. A visual inspection tells me that the doors themselves wont fit, will all the goodies within? Are the panels the same shape? What about the power windows and the power mirrors? is 400/both a fair price? Or, should i shop around. I would stick with manual door panels, as they are a lot cheaper, if i could find them...

3. Not a question, just a disclaimer and a thanks. A. I did do searches of these things and turned up nothing. B. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 AM

subliminal is doing a lot of that in the 22R -> 22RE FI conversion he is in progress of right now to his truck. He would know the answer to a lot of your questions...

http://www.fattshack.com/phpbb/viewt...d978fc628fbf6f
Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 AM

[post deleted]

Ooops - he said 1990....

Last edited by ewong; 07-20-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by breknraj
I don't know for sure about your first gen, but I know that on the 89-95 trucks that they were theoretically available as SR5s without power windows (I have the dealer brochure that shows it), but I'll be damned if I've ever seen one without the power windows.
My sr5 truck has every option except power windows and locks.

Quick Reply: :help: Just Wondering... Could You Help Out?