Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP. I need a measurement from you FROR Full Float Guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP. I need a measurement from you FROR Full Float Guys

Hey All,

So I pulled my rear axles today to swap in my 4.88 diff, and I was planning on bolting up my FROR full float upgrade at the same time.

I get all my parts pulled out from boxes, and start laying out all my brake line fittings, proportioning valve, checking to make sure I had everything I needed.

I get to the very end, and I pull my calipers (1980, Loaded, Supra) and I go to line them up with the brackets from FROR....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The caliper doesn't fit the bracket!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the brackets for the calipers to mount on are about 5 1/2 inches center to center.
My caliper bolt holes are about 6 1/4 center to center. Can anyone else out here let me know what their FROR bracket measurements are? Either I have the wrong bracket, or the wrong caliper... Your help is appreciated..
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry but I can't help you. I used Toyota calipers and bracket on the rear full floater.
Contact Brian at FROR.

:wabbit2:
Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Yeah, Brian's not super easy to get in touch with. I've left a message, and I'm sure he'll be helpful, but in the meantime I'm trying to piece together which part is off, my calipers or his bracket.

R
Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 PM

I can't believe nobody on yota tech has a pair of supra calipers on their truck!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 PM

I found the answer by calling around and having a few parts places measuring their calipers: Raybesto's RC3409/RC3410 Rear supra calipers are listed for the 1979-1980 however it is a non-standard mounting bracket casting. They have a center to center measurement of 6 1/4" (appx) for the mounting bracket. It doesn't fit the FROR kit.

Centric or A-1 Cardone sell a caliper with the correct 5.5" (appx.) measurement.
The centric part # is 141.44502/141.44501. These -do- fit. They are also listed as a 1979-1980.

I sure wish this information came with the kit.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ra33it
I found the answer by calling around and having a few parts places measuring their calipers: Raybesto's RC3409/RC3410 Rear supra calipers are listed for the 1979-1980 however it is a non-standard mounting bracket casting. They have a center to center measurement of 6 1/4" (appx) for the mounting bracket. It doesn't fit the FROR kit.

Centric or A-1 Cardone sell a caliper with the correct 5.5" (appx.) measurement.
The centric part # is 141.44502/141.44501. These -do- fit. They are also listed as a 1979-1980.

I sure wish this information came with the kit.
You can't expect the guys at FROR to measure every possible part and make an exhaustive compatibility list. That's just how it goes. And this is why I'm going to get the full kit instead of piecing it together myself. Probably going to make the order next week after my paycheck comes in (woo!).

I've been battling with blown wheel cylinders, bent backing plates, greasy shoes, blown seals and bearings for the last couple months and I'm sick of it. Instead of dumping more money into the semi-floating rear with drums I'm just going all out on the full float with discs.

A few questions for you:
  • Are you done installing it? If so, how do you like it?
  • How long did it take for FROR to get the kit to you and how much was shipping?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
You can't expect the guys at FROR to measure every possible part and make an exhaustive compatibility list. That's just how it goes. And this is why I'm going to get the full kit instead of piecing it together myself. Probably going to make the order next week after my paycheck comes in (woo!).

I've been battling with blown wheel cylinders, bent backing plates, greasy shoes, blown seals and bearings for the last couple months and I'm sick of it. Instead of dumping more money into the semi-floating rear with drums I'm just going all out on the full float with discs.

A few questions for you:
  • Are you done installing it? If so, how do you like it?
  • How long did it take for FROR to get the kit to you and how much was shipping?

Thanks!

I placed my order on 12/15, took delivery 3/12.
Shipping was around 80 bucks.
I ordered drive flanges, solid axle hub bodies, the Full Float -supra- kit, and the proportioning valve all through Brian. The only thing I sourced outside of the kit, was my calipers. I bought the calipers -first- because they are getting pretty tough to find (Brian currently doesn't have any as of yesterday). If he had given a part number, or any information re: differences in calipers LISTED as fitting a 1979-1981 on his web site, or a bracket spacing, it would have been useful. He was well aware there are several different caliper sizes, and that the information had at one time been available on his site but currently was not, and sorry. Had that been on the "parts you need" portion of the site, I'd not have two different sets of supra calipers right now.

The install is relatively simple. (i am not a mechanic).
Here are some helpful hints:
If you order the hub bodies from Brian, you'll need to pick up new wheel bearings. Pound out the old bearings/races, press in the new using the old bearings. A slide hammer is -really- nice (with a thrust bushing puller) to yank out the brass spindle bushing (you replace it with a piece he provides).
Have spindle nuts handy, kit doesn't come with em.
Its -really- easy to mess up your axle carrier oil seals when you're pulling out the axle/drum assembly. Be careful, have seals on hand if yours are junk.

You can use solid axle hubs or drive flanges... the SA locking hubs are tough to find in my area right now, but I'm on a few lists to get a set.

The build quality on the kit is pretty tight. The only problem is Brian isn't too good at returning calls, answering his phone, emailing, or providing good information in a timely manner. That said, he's a super nice guy, and he's selling a product that is superb.

Here is your lspv delete diagram, I found it helpful:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...delete-233633/

That's all I can think of right now, you won't be disappointed with the results.