86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heeeelp!! My 92 V6 just started running terrible

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heeeelp!! My 92 V6 just started running terrible

Hey everybody.....I hope someone can help me. I've got a 92 4 X 4 PU, 3.0 V-6 Auto in great shape...or at least it was. I've had it about 6 months (got it from the orig owner) I noticed it hasn't had too much power and thought that was just the nature of it...but things have gotten worse. Engine idles fine but when it heats up....after driving 5 -10 miles, it starts running awful. Under power it bucks, snorts, backfires and barely will go 20 miles per hour. When i back off it again, idles fine and cranks fine. I put the following new parts on it. Distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter (some trash). I've check the main coil (primary and secondary ohms), pick-up coil in distributor (ohms) and had the ignitor checked at a parts place. I also have check all of these when the truck is running bad and running good. Does anyone have any suggestions? This thing is about to drive me crazy and i really can't afford to take it to the Toyota dealer right now. It will be running great but when I floor it...it starts the bucking and backfiring....like its starving for gas. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks for the forum.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:10 PM

make sure your throttle position sensor and airflow meter are working properly for a start
Old 08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to YT.

See if there are any codes stored. Might give you a clue as to where to look, or post them here and see what suggestions you might get.

Here's how and a list of what they mean:
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

Also, thoroughly check the bellows of your air intake tube. Sometimes they can rot or tear. On bumps or with the torque twist under throttle, a tear can open and allow more air into the engine then the computer can "see"... causing intermittent stubbles and strange behavior.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Also, thoroughly check the bellows of your air intake tube. Sometimes they can rot or tear. On bumps or with the torque twist under throttle, a tear can open and allow more air into the engine then the computer can "see"... causing intermittent stubbles and strange behavior.
Well said there. I had the same problem and decided to go ahead with an isr mod. Check for vacuum line leaks, clogged air filter, test your mass air flow sensor, test throttle position sensor (tps), and possibly check your o2 sensor and catylitic convertor. My cat is currently pretty gobbed up and robbing me of power... Good luck, keep us posted.