Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head Scratcher - 1991 4Runner w/ 3.0 won't start

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest corroded wiring killing the signal to the ignition coil.. but if you're getting spark, weak or otherwise, you probably would have found the problem by now.

You sure theres no blockage or seized FPR causing you to run too rich to ignite?
Are any of your intake pipes cracked causing too lean to ignite?
Is your AFM vane seized?
Is the rotor cap installed correctly? (not backwards, so your sparks are firing after compression stroke).
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks moodah for the reply.

When I ohm'd out the sensors in the dizzy, I did it at the ECU connectors...not to say something's not wrong, but the wires seem to have continuity from the dizzy to the ECU.

I haven't checked the fuel pressure regulator. Something to look for, for sure. My intake pipes are all in pretty good shape and I sealed the grommets/holes from the "Spectra" aftermarket parts the PO put on awhile back. I did check the movement of the vane and it seems to work OK. The rotor cap is installed with #1 on top...I think it only goes on one way...but could be wrong.

I took the truck to (what I've been told) is a Toyota expert...after speaking with him, I'm pretty confident he'll find the problem. He says he once had a Camry and had to track down a bad ground wire to get it to fire correctly (get rid of orange spark). I'll update this thread when the truck's running again...I'd rather have fixed this myself...but after almost two months, it's time to get another set of eyes on it...you know, before I fix it with my .40 cal.

Last edited by a1jasong; 07-23-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Oh how frustrating it could be when you find your Toyota just won't start. All because there's no spark. I went to the site and search to see if anybody had the same problem as I did and you do.😝 I've also went to the wrecking yard and gotten three distributors. Still no spark. Still ask for help or search for help and got nowhere😤. So before I started to install the distributors into the motor. I've done this old test time after time. If you ever walked into the part performance shop you'll see sometimes still have a Mallory distributor hook up to igniter and a coil and the spark plug and it power up. And all you had to do just rotate the distributor and You will see it spark. So that's what I did. I just unplugged the four pin connector plug one of distributors that I picked up from the wrecking yard With the cap and rotor .laid the coil wire next to the ground And use the jumper cables to ground the distributor. I've gotten spark on all three distributor even the original one that was in the truck but they were all weak. So I went ahead and bought a brand-new distributor on eBay. For $99.50 with free shipping. So while I was waiting on the new distributor to come in I tinker with the truck some more. I tested the battery on the truck and it was good. I cleaned the ground connections around the igniter in the coil and it was also good. I tested the voltage at the coil and midnight or on the black with a red stripe wire and it was good. I tested for power EFI relay And found that I had continuous power And no power when I turn the key on. I replaced the Ibnition switch on the truck now everything is working.😋 Put the distributor cap and rotor back on the original distributor that was still in the motor got in the truck ask the Lord to help turn the key and she started right up.😋😋😋😋

So my point for all this is your getting spark but weak spark even though weak start can start an engine It just won't run for very long. You need to locate the reason for week spark.
Oh I am hanging onto the new distributor. You just don't know when you need it. And for all of the three distributors I picked up from the Wrecking yard are going back to Wrecking yard
Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM

DingDingDing...we have a winner!

Turns out, the orange spark was a bit of a red herring! The orange spark is plenty to make my engine run.

Before the distributor problem, I had changed the fuel injectors out on a whim (only had a seal leak on #2 injector) with 6 injectors from Oside Tiger ---> BIG MISTAKE.

One of the injectors provided by Oside Tiger Injectors developed a short in the injector's coil...hence, all the injectors would not pulse, but remained OPEN all the time. As a result, I pumped roughly 5 gallons of gas into my crankcase...it's yet to be seen if my motor will survive.

The faulty injector was found by using a injector node light. The light would not pulse when the engine was cranked, but stayed constantly lit. Once the #2 injector wire was disconnected, the injectors WOULD pulse...and the engine would fire right up in under two revolutions.

Interestingly enough, the injectors would not pulse even when disconnected from the computer...they would stay ON all the time just when the key was turned on.

To say I'm disappointed with Oside Tiger Injectors is an understatement. I am publicly stating I'm a total idiot for buying anything other than Toyota parts for my Toyota...but more than that, I'm a total idiot for not just buying new seals for the injectors instead of "upgrading" my injectors...guess I'm a victim of marketing.

I have called Oside Tiger for a refund but had to leave a message (during work hours at that)...we'll have to see how they respond as a company...we'll have to see if they stand behind their product or not. I will update this thread with their response once I get it...if I get it.

It's unclear if the signal generator's exposed wires had anything to do with the injector's malfunctioning coil. Looking at schematics, the two systems are separated by the ECU (which is still functioning properly). This looks like the two problems were mutually exclusive.

In short, if you've got spark, fuel pressure, timing, and compression...make sure your injectors are pulsing/opening/closing...with a node light.

Update: I've received word back from Oside Tiger Injectors and they WILL NOT refund the purchase cost because...get this...too much time has passed. Unfortunately, it took me too long to find out they sold, what is in my opinion, non-durable equipment. I was given an option to return them for repair...given the mistrust I now have in their product, I think I'll pass.

Everything I've written is my opinion.

Last edited by a1jasong; 08-06-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Expand on Subject