Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Having major work done on my 1991-what am I forgetting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having major work done on my 1991-what am I forgetting?

We're getting a big tax refund this year thanks in part to my newborn daughter I also was able to sell my other truck for more than I thought I would and the down payment on my wife's new car ended up being less than we thought it would have to be. Result? The Yota is getting some much needed TLC!!! I'm having a local 4WD shop do a lot of the work because things are crazy and I just don't have the time, but at least now I have the $$$. Here is what I'm planning on having done so far while it's there-please look this over and let me know if there are parts I should probably be considering replacing or at least looking at while they're in there:

4 Crawler ball joint spacers
4 Crawler idler arm and bronze bushing
Upper and lower ball joints
Upper and lower control arm bushings
Inner and outer tie rod ends
CV joints
Rebuild hubs (Sending them to the Wabbit)
New wheel bearings
Rear brake service (God knows when they were last touched-I just did the front)
New flexible brake hoses all around
T100 booster/MR2 master cylinder (I did T100 calipers/rotors up front)
Sway bar bushings/endlinks
All u-joints
Front and rear shocks

That's all of the stuff that is obvious to me and looks/feels like its worn and needs replacing or will very soon. The exhaust needs replacing also (see my other thread on that), and in the rear I'll be using the ZUK mod to level the truck out to match the BJ spacer lift in the front. I'll do that myself because it's pretty easy and I doubt the 4WD shop would do it anyway. I trust ZUK and if it works for him it will work for me. The engine and transmission in the truck are pretty solid. I had a bad oil leak problem which turned out to be the little half moon seals in the head. That seems to be under control-it will need a clutch at some point, but it's fine for now. It'll have to ride on the stock bologna skins for time being too until I can get some more cash together for bigger tires. Right now I just need the truck to be reliable in solid shape mechanically. Anything else you all would do while it's in the shop?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM

since u are lifting the front u might want to get the spacers for the front diff and drop that down a little too so u wont be going threw cv axles
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Looks like a nice new revival for the ifs. Since you're putting so much love in your front end so much, why not do the same for the rear? Maybe some new spring bushings, and leaf packs or greasable shackles to go with the front lift. How about some new body bushings from energy suspension as well, those will make the ride oh so much better!! I realize if funds are the factor though. Just think you may as well do it all evenly and then you'll have yourself a solid rig.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on miles, May look at changing the fuel pump and the fuel filter if that not been done recently.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by dubbsbetty
Looks like a nice new revival for the ifs. Since you're putting so much love in your front end so much, why not do the same for the rear? Maybe some new spring bushings, and leaf packs or greasable shackles to go with the front lift. How about some new body bushings from energy suspension as well, those will make the ride oh so much better!! I realize if funds are the factor though. Just think you may as well do it all evenly and then you'll have yourself a solid rig.
Thanks for the suggestion-I think I might just buy the energy suspension full kit instead of buying all of the bushings separately so I get all of the rear stuff too. Which greaseable shackles would you recommend? I'm not sure that I need much lift with them since the ZUK will give me some lift. The spring packs themselves are not sagging at all-I just want the increased weight capacity and the little bit of lift they'll give. IIRC, a 14" coil in the rear will work well with a 1.5" BJ lift in the front.