86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Has anyone swapped a 3rz in their truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone swapped a 3rz in their truck

Hey I was wondering if anyone has put 3rz in there truck. I know you can get lot of power out of them. Want to figure out what kind of work it would take to swap one.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM

Seems like everyone on this board is all about 3.4L swaps. Over on the Marlin Crawler forum that is a very popular swap, and lots of info on Pirate about them too.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 PM

ok thanks. you can get a heck of a lot of power out of those engine and would be better than a v6 on gs
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they makes lots of power if you have the money
some power stuff from rado

Originally we were using the Celica 2ZZ engine, which TRD was building for us. Well, after seeing the direction the whole front drive scene was going we knew we wanted to go 7s at almost 200 miles per hour, that's our goal-along with winning championships. So we asked TRD if they would build us a 3RZ-FE engine (from the Tacoma) instead. Obvious reasons include the fact that the 3RZ has nearly one liter of displacement on the 2ZZ and it also has a steel block compared to aluminum block found on the latter. We felt that we could make at least 200 more horsepower along with gobs of torque. The 2ZZ equals 1.8L and the 3RZ equals 2.7L-do the math. The 2ZZ is more of a high-tech lightweight powerplant and I'm sure TRD could have easily made 700-800 horsepower from it but it's not the super nasty truck motor we have in the car now. This engine is awesome. Even the early version of our race engine that we have now is making over a thousand horsepower and 800 lb-ft of torque at only 27 pounds of boost-now that's power. And [TRD] hasn't even scratched the surface yet. What's great is that the 3RZ engine is the perfect powerplant for any serious compact drag racer. It's strong and it makes tons of power-kind of like a four-cylinder version of the Supra's 2JZ inline six-cylinder. I wouldn't be surprised to see some new rear drive cars sporting this powerplant soon."

In order to realize the 850 horsepower gain over the stock 3RZ, TRD had to graft on a set of Supra taillights. Ha! Just kidding. Thank you folks, I'll be here all night. Don't forget to tip your waitress. (That wasn't funny.-JW; Jonny, you're an idiot.-JN) In order to handle more than 2 bar of boost, a set of custom JE pistons and rings have been dished out to create a boost-friendly 9.1:1 compression ratio. TRD's custom titanium connecting rods hang from-amazingly enough-the stock 3RZ crankshaft. On the top end TRD performed the headwork and added some of its custom valves, springs, retainers, and camshafts with LC Engineering cam gears. The voluminous intake manifold is also a TRD custom job and on the other side of the air/fuel equation are two giant Weldon pumps and a TRD fuel rail feeding no less than eight Bosch 1600cc injectors. None of those cute faucet metaphors will work here. This is fire hose territory.

The Turbo

The engine's reduced compression and gluttonous ingestion of air and fuel are all needed to satiate the turbo. The snail is a Turbonetics Y2K unit. I feel very inferior looking at it, much like when I stand next to Ricky at the urinal. But Rado says the Y2K is an off-the-shelf turbo with a compressor wheel diameter of more than 82 mm. With the right package it is capable of making over 1,300 hp. Christian also tells us that TRD is working on some sort of new black magic technology that will keep the cylinder head nailed down in order to allow for more boost to take advantage of the Y2K's high horsepower capabilities. Mo' Control With World and MoTeC World Racing is actually a subsidiary of World Electronics. You probably have no idea what World Electronics does, because most of it is super hush-hush government contract work. What this does mean is that World builds its stuff to the highest of tolerances. As the head honcho at World Racing, Christian is passing on all of this techno wizardry to the tuning community. He gave us the breakdown on World Racing's first new product.

"Of course our car is the first vehicle to use our World TBC-1 (Total Boost Control Version 1), which we feel is the first real high end boost controller. This unit has been one of the main focuses of World Racing and has been in development for almost two years. But the controller, which should be for sale by the time this issue hits the stands, has worked flawlessly since we started testing. This unit allows for extremely accurate proportional control of boost up to 100 psi for race cars or street cars-it doesn't matter. (So can I get one?-RC) We are able to control boost over gear, time, or rpm with no complicated calculation necessary. All you do is allow the controller to measure your car's actual gear ratios along with your car's actual tire size so you have accurate control for when you want to go fast on the street or strip. The TBC-1 also features built-in drag modes, ignition retard based on boost, a turbo timer, touch screen, and actual aircraft quality sensors and valves. This unit gives you accurate control all the time-that's the key-without the level of user complexity you'll find in competitors' products. (Right. But can I get one?-RC) But on the Celica I just use it to accurately control boost while I'm going down the track and it seems to be working great." For engine management Christian relies on a MoTeC M880 system. "Tons of control and all the flexibility in the world coupled with excellent quality proved to be too valuable for us to pass up," said Christian about the M880. "George Ioannou from Bullish Motor Racing (who is also one of the Solara drivers) did the pristine install job on our car using mil-spec connectors and all the finest components to get the job done right."

swap stuff off pirate
With the 3RZ, either new engine brackets or engine frame mounts will need to be fabricated, exhaust reworked, fuel and clutch lines rerouted, fabricate a hybrid powersteering line, mounting various things such as the air flow meter (hot wire), ignitor, fuse box(es), ECU, relays, and vapor canister, and of course do the wiring including new battery cables, powering the engine bay fuse box (main hot source), ignition circuits (hardest part of the wiring job), idiot gauges, fuel wires (gauge/pump), both o2 sensors, A/C clutch (if used), and two ground wires, one from the OCR and the other from the clutch start cancel relay (if 5spd version). If you have an Automatic version 3RZ, then you will need to short the Park safety switch with the "START" position wire (Yellow-gray) to fool the ECU into believing that you are always in Park each time the vehicle is Started.

But I STRONGLY recommend against getting an Automatic version of the 3RZ unless money is an issue. You will have to change the ECU to a 5spd ECU (actually 3RZ ECUs can be had for REALLY REALLY cheap!! Marlin paid $50 for his '96 5spd ECU, Bevin paid $60 for his 2003 5spd ECU, and Dean paid $75 for his 2004 5spd ECU, seriously) as I was unsuccessful at fooling the Lock-out Torque convertor circuit and the three shift solenoids (A, B, and C) circuits from the Automatic ECUs on ALL THREE Automatic-versioned 3RZ conversion's that I've done. One 1996, one 2003, and one 2004. All used 5spds, so in the end, each person had to get a 5spd ECU, as mentioned in my previous sentence.

thread to link
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403311

Last edited by norcalsvx; 04-07-2008 at 10:21 PM.