Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard to get out of 4wd HI/Low and into 2H

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to get out of 4wd HI/Low and into 2H

86 4runner 22re all stock.
Just did the clutch and rear main, so I had remove the shifters and all.
Just the other day I also replaced all fluids diff, t-case,tranny.

now it shifts in to 4wd hi/lo & n. fine but shifting back to 2wd is kinda hit and miss, have to move the vehicle back and forth and mess with the shifter then it goes in smoothly
any ideas?
the shift lever appears to be in the right spot, it could only go in two ways and it shifts to 4wd perfectly
Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
typically, you need to drive forward or backwards, while applying pressure to the tcase lever until it will disengage. Can be similar for putting the transmission in reverse, might need to budge the truck forward in 1st.. or sometimes just put it back in 1st then back in Reverse.

Thats been my experience in every pickup I've been in =/
Old 10-18-2008, 04:30 PM

i would accept that answer except that it always shifted with out moving it forward and back before the clutch was done.
maybe it was weird before and now normal
Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck has never had a problem going in/out of 4hi/lo/2wd whether moving at speed or standing still. I would want to look into this and not just accept it right away.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by PCE91V64x4
My truck has never had a problem going in/out of 4hi/lo/2wd whether moving at speed or standing still. I would want to look into this and not just accept it right away.
Well that is why I am here.Just hoping for some insight.I don't want to drive home in 4HI some day.
I have heard of similar problems but never really a reason.

I guess really it is a question of to be concerned or be worried.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
hmm, if it makes any difference, i just have to move forward half a foot to get it to go into 2hi.
doesnt really help, but this could be interesting
Old 10-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same issue one time right after doing all the fluids and once again after doing the locker in the rear. Does it happen all the time or did it just happen once or twice.

Oh and I have to fiddle with reverse about 3 times a week but then all of my standards have been that way new clutch or not.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
hmm, if it makes any difference, i just have to move forward half a foot to get it to go into 2hi.
doesnt really help, but this could be interesting
Well it has happened only two times now after the fluid change.
I guess after talking with my wife it did not happen after the clutch work, only after the fluid change. Only been in 4HI/Low twice now and after that i have had problems twice. Tomorrow I will play with it more to see if it persists. It will go into 2Hi so I will try the foreward 1/2 foot and see if that works. Not knowing what works I have just gone back and forth.

Any other ideas?...
Thanks for all the replies so far!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I had the same issue one time right after doing all the fluids and once again after doing the locker in the rear. Does it happen all the time or did it just happen once or twice.

Oh and I have to fiddle with reverse about 3 times a week but then all of my standards have been that way new clutch or not.
Only twice and after fluid change reverse did start to act up a bit. Once and a while it will grind. Second gear is now a happy camper
Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 PM

i have the same problem on mine i have a 1991 v6 5speed
Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM

yeah for mine, it will sometime be hard to get out. lets just say, enough force that makes you think.. this isnt right..
so i just like roll a slight bit or so and it slides right out.. possible it could have to do with something holding in the reduction gears while there could be load on them?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:57 PM

yeah for mine, it will sometime be hard to get out. lets just say, enough force that makes you think.. this isnt right..
so i just like roll a slight bit or so and it slides right out.. possible it could have to do with something holding in the reduction gears while there could be load on them?
force does not help here. It is more like there is no groove to slide into, and when it does go in, it goes in like a hot knife through butter.

You think something might be in there requiring another drain and fill? I have no idea when the last time it was done before today.

Last edited by shaun; 10-18-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:00 PM

hmmm, yeah because mine just needs some workin, then im to worried to ruin anything so i just move a bit and bam, works.
hmmmmm werid thoe.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by shaun
Only twice and after fluid change reverse did start to act up a bit. Once and a while it will grind. Second gear is now a happy camper
Depending on how long it was before those fluids were changed it might just be an issue of old deposits of broken down fluid needing to work loose. You might think about changing them all again in 10,000 miles or so. If you don't have any leaks, and I mean ANY, then maybe going to a synthetic may help as well.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 PM

hmmm, yeah because mine just needs some workin, then im to worried to ruin anything so i just move a bit and bam, works.
hmmmmm werid thoe.
With you on that one.
Well at least it is not just me. Maybe my concern level just dropped to a what the heck from a OH WTF.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Depending on how long it was before those fluids were changed it might just be an issue of old deposits of broken down fluid needing to work loose. You might think about changing them all again in 10,000 miles or so. If you don't have any leaks, and I mean ANY, then maybe going to a synthetic may help as well.
Would that make sense if it worked before the fluid change? Maybe something found a way into a nasty spot. Probably will go synthetic next time around. Just short on money after spending 2500 getting it to move. But it don't leak YAAEEEY!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Would that make sense if it worked before the fluid change? Maybe something found a way into a nasty spot. Probably will go synthetic next time around. Just short on money after spending 2500 getting it to move. But it don't leak YAAEEEY!
Hmmmmm I don't know. As a side story I'll tell you that my valves didn't make a bit of noise until I changed the oil. The PO had just been adding half a quart when they removed the filter (for God knows how long) and the valves were so nasty that the clicking couldn't be heard, it looked like black cream when I opened the drain. I guess anything is possible and doing the valve adjustment took about as long as an oil change.

2500$ huh? What all did you do to it? Well whatever it was just chalk that up to another several hundred thousand miles worth of preventative work.

No leaks? Damn that's nice. After fixing my front main I'm leak free (bang on some wood here) and hoping to stay that way for a while. I'm planning on a full synthetic swap next spring, well except for the rear end since that locker hates synthetic.

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-18-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM

Hmmmmm I don't know. As a side story I'll tell you that my valves didn't make a bit of noise until I changed the oil. The PO had just been adding half a quart when they removed the filter (for God knows how long) and the valves were so nasty that the clicking couldn't be heard, it looked like black cream when I opened the drain. I guess anything is possible and doing the valve adjustment took about as long as an oil change.

2500$ huh? What all did you do to it? Well whatever it was just chalk that up to another several hundred thousand miles worth of preventative work.

No leaks? Damn that's nice. After fixing my front main I'm leak free (bang on some wood here) and hoping to stay that way for a while. I'm planning on a full synthetic swap next spring, well except for the rear end since that locker hates synthetic.
Oh my that is messed up/.

The truck sat for almost 3 years so everything from the gas tank to the front, fuel pump and a tank cleaning.Rear main, clutch, timing chain(shop did that one), front brakes, replaced factory shocks(wut? thats right toyota 86), clutch release cylinder, all ignition stuff- plugs, cap rotor, and various other thing including all the tools needed to do the work. Oh yeah 3 jars of hand cleaner, 1 bottle PB blaster and 6 bottles brake clean. I am sure there are a few thing I have forgotten.I have not wanted to really look through all the receipts but it should be right around there.

Now it is all interior and some other minor bugs ... then the fun starts. Making it a true trail rig, not a rock crawler just a Toyota dependable rig in the mild snow, mud , and some rutty roads. We go alone so we dont push it and never really will.
Oh wait, a rebuilt engine and tranny coming in a year or so. Have a spare motor in my back yard with parents that own a machine shop! http://www.valleros.com/
Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 PM

yea thats weird, neither my 86 runner or my old 85 p/u had any shifting issues (till i shatterd 2nd gear in the truck) with the trans or transfer case.. but my buddys 2nd gen runner is hard to shift from 4hi/lo to 2wd.. hes got how to jiggle the shifter just right to get it to shift but it will take me a good couple minutes to get it.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 PM

Making it a true trail rig, not a rock crawler just a Toyota dependable rig in the mild snow, mud , and some rutty roads. [/URL]

That's the same direction I've gone with mine. Do yourself a favor and get all the mechanical crap taken care of before you dive into mild lifts and lockers and then (as 4crawler would say) "lift only as high as you need". I'm looking to make a camping/survival rig that I can take to the lake and find that out of the way fishing hole or load up and trek for the hills in an emergency.

Mechanicals first, asthetics last.........

Quick Reply: Hard to get out of 4wd HI/Low and into 2H