YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Grinding noise after replacing timing chain (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/grinding-noise-after-replacing-timing-chain-303451/)

leiferikson 02-13-2018 03:33 PM

Grinding noise after replacing timing chain

Hey guys, I'm lost here. I replaced the timing chain (edit: also guides, sprockets, guides w/ metal guide), water pump and oil pump on my 88 (edit: 22RE) pickup after it was put together, I started it and almost immediately a grinding noise developed. This noise was not present before. Changes pitch when the engine accelerates but doesn't get any worse. I thought it was one of the tensioner pulleys but when I went to move the truck, when I clutched in, the noise pretty much went away completely. When I push the clutch in a very slight amount, the noise starts going away and fades as the pedal reaches the floor.

Any ideas? I was told perhaps the dust shield on the harmonic balancer may be rubbing which would make sense as I used the threads for my pulley puller but doesn't make sense that the noise would fade with the clutch pedal pushed in.
Here is a short clip of the sound at idle with the clutch pedal not touched.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxva1s8315...718.1.mp4?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

L5wolvesf 02-13-2018 06:00 PM

We don't know what engine :dunno:

leiferikson 02-13-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf (Post 52390446)
We don't know what engine :dunno:

Oh ˟˟˟˟, my bad 22RE

L5wolvesf 02-13-2018 06:07 PM

I replaced the timing chain - did you replace the guides?

leiferikson 02-13-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf (Post 52390448)
I replaced the timing chain - did you replace the guides?

Yes, replaced both guides used a metal backed driver side guide. also replaced both sprockets and the tensioner. Torqued the guides and tensioner to about 13lb

Montana 02-13-2018 08:11 PM

I have the same problem with my truck where when I depress the clutch halfway the sounds fades and then all the way down it goes completely away. I was told by a mechanic it could be the input shaft bearing. Mine sounds like its coming from the transmission area though and i'm already having issues with it. Yours sounds like it's coming from the engine bay?

leiferikson 02-13-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Montana (Post 52390471)
I have the same problem with my truck where when I depress the clutch halfway the sounds fades and then all the way down it goes completely away. I was told by a mechanic it could be the input shaft bearing. Mine sounds like its coming from the transmission area though and i'm already having issues with it. Yours sounds like it's coming from the engine bay?

Can't really pin point where it's coming from, I hear it all over
​, if I'm in the cabin I hear it underneigh the truck if I'm in front of the truck I hear it in the engine bay . I tried pressing the clutch in to the floor and revved the motor to about 2k RPM and I still hear the noise very slightly chirpy. I also read somewhere online (I forgot where) if you clutch in, put it in 5th and rev the motor higher than idle if the noise is still present, it's not transmission related. I don't if that's true but mine still made noise.

Anyway, I don't really want to cause it's sort of a pain though easier than other things but I'll remove the crank pulley and check that shield on the back. Maybe I bent the shield when I screwed in the bolts for my pulley puller. I'll report back. Let of strange how it wasn't making this noise before the timing job and it makes it right after. ¯\_ツ_/¯

Thanks for the replies!

Montana 02-13-2018 08:47 PM

Hopefully it'll be that easy for ya but it still doesn't make sense to me that the noise fades as you press in the clutch. Oh well. Keep us posted on your findings. Best of luck!

leiferikson 02-13-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Montana (Post 52390482)
Hopefully it'll be that easy for ya but it still doesn't make sense to me that the noise fades as you press in the clutch. Oh well. Keep us posted on your findings. Best of luck!

I hope so too haha

Maybe the pressure from the clutch being pressed in pushes the crank forward just enough for it to clear? Though that's what I'm hoping for. Can't afford having to rebuild a transmission so soon plus clutch and flywheel while it's down. I just put in redline gear oil less than 4k miles ago and that stuff ain't cheap!

leiferikson 02-15-2018 08:15 PM

Before I had time to remove the pulley, the noise faded with normal use of the truck and can't hear anything anymore. Guess it was the crank dust shield and it grinded itself.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated.