Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got a Truck and have some questions (video included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a Truck and have some questions (video included)

Hello there this is my first post to yotatech. Glad to see that there is a community around these great machines.

I just bought a 94 4wd pickup that I am going to use to get back and forth to work.
There is a couple of issues with the truck (I only paid $750 USD for it).

There is a electrical part (I think) in the engine that I do not know what it does and it is on the video.
edit
throttle position sensor (wonder why this is not hooked up ? )
edit part two
after hooking up the elc part of the tps And drove it down the street. when I would go to punch it it would bog out. going to test with multi-meter and see results.
I also show the spark plugs (old ones that I just replaced) clyinder #3 kinda looks funky. Thought's ?

Cold start the truck (I think that is what it is called.)

There seems to be a knocking noise. That is coming from the cylinder head so I am going to so a valve check in the next couple of days.

I also have to do some welding as shown on the video.

Here are the videos.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for the answer's .

Bobweaver.

Last edited by bobweaver; 05-04-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: found out what the part was.// tested tps
Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 AM

that noise is probably a timing chain guide issue... known problem for these motors.

That truck looks like its been beat to hell and not taken care of lol. probably alot of issues wrong with it.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That electrical component is your throttle position sensor. It's VERY important and needs to be plugged in. Seems like the previous owner had a problem with it and decided to just leave it unplugged. Here's a great link on what it does and how to diagnose/ adjust it. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml. That noise doesnt necessarily sound like the timing chain to me, in my experience it sounds more like a cat hissing when it goes bad. It does sound like the valves maybe need to be adjusted. In any case, the valve cover needs to come off. Any high mileage 22re should at least have the chain guides inspected to see if the driver's side is broken. If it is and you let it go, it WILL kill your engine.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That truck has a bad cam. I can hear the rockers machining it. Get that valve cover off and lets see the cam. She sounds wore out.
Also like to have you do a compression test as well.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
That truck has a bad cam. I can hear the rockers machining it. Get that valve cover off and lets see the cam. She sounds wore out.
Also like to have you do a compression test as well.
well I took some video's of it valve cover off and am uploading them, I also adjusted the valves (some of the out was off by 10mm or more )

I think that the chain guide is good you can see it in the video's. The truck seems to be running better after I adjusted the valves. but I only went on a 5 mile trek.

I need to jump on the tps and get that up and going. Also what do you all think about the o2 sensor (close to headers and cat (there is none after cat on this truck.)) it looks to be shot maybe I will also replace that.

I do not have the tools to do a compression test (yet). But will by it on my next payday as long as my bills are not that $$ this month.

again thanks for the advice and I will post again when videos are uploaded.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume cam looked good? Should run a lot better if the valves were that far out. Should be quieter as well.

Keeping eye out for vid.