86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good Southern California Toyota Service Centers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Southern California Toyota Service Centers

I have a 1995 4runner 3vze 4wd. Per the title, are there any good recommendations on service centers in Southern California around the Los Angeles area. I am due for my 60,000 mile service, and according to the manual it needs belt replacements, valve clearance adjustments, idle speed adjustments, and all other stuff that comes with the 60,000 mile territory. I don't want to take it blindingly to just any dealer and have them service it. Can anyone provide any service experiences with dealers? All replies are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the basic stuff like a 60k service I've taken my truck to South Coast Toyota in Costa Mesa when I haven't had the time or inclination to do things myself. They send out coupons every month that make the prices a bit more reasonable. They've also been pretty good about telling me to go elsewhere if they're too expensive for a particular job or doing little things for free like fixing my cruise control by disconnecting the brake fluid sensor. DIY is always a good option. I have yet to do a timing belt or valve clearance on this truck myself though. We'll see what the future holds with all the encouragement on YT.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a stealer is a stealer. i am a DIY and i call around to see who has the best prices for the service needed and go there, always different and will compete.
sorry no real recomendations for any. been to three and would call them equal. (N. of LA)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 AM

san diego

Well if it's worth anything, if you are heading down to San Diego there is a place in Miramar near the Pyramid called SD Trux. John is the owner there and all they work on is Toyota 4Runners and Trucks. They do good work at reasonable prices. Just had all my belts changed, valves adjusted, vavle cover gaskets and cam caps seals replaced, idler arm replaced, blah blah blah

Good luck,
J
Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Seems like a lot of people had good experiences with SD Trux. I didn't. I had a much better experience at Protrux. If you're coming this far south though and want to go through with a dealership I'd suggest Poway Toyota. They were really good to me last time I went through. Basic oil change and they topped off all my fluids (windshield, coolant, brake) and all free of charge - no notice of it at all on my invoice. Only reason I know they did it is because I knew I was low on those fluids going in. I even bought coolant while I was waiting.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM

PROTRUX. nuff said.

http://www.protrux.net/contact.htm
Old 12-21-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have had good luck at longo. a *wee bit* more than id like to pay sometimes, but they've been pretty competitive but they ALWAYS get the repairs right the first time. ive been going there since 99, so they know me well, esp the parts people

tip: call around to different dealerships to get a ball park on the pricing.

bob
Old 12-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another secret . . . . if you know someone who can check "book value" on labor for specific jobs it's a big help. I let South Coast do stuff like the timing belt because it's a pain, time consuming, and when they put the job on sale it's too hard to refuse! I try to negotiate specific jobs with a dealer. Otherwise they try to charge you for a bunch of useless stuff. I assume that nobody on this site is falling for the dealer "injector flush", etc. If you have good people at the dealer they can be very helpful.

Hmmmm . . . Protrux is only 65 miles away! I won't need anything else major for awhile. But, it's nice to know they're there.