86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gettong an 88 4runner and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gettong an 88 4runner and need some advice

ok, i have wanted a first gen 4runner since i was in like 8th grade, and now that it is time for me to get a vehicle, i have decided to get what i've wanted. it just so happens that my friends dad is willing to sell me an 88 4runner for cheap. it runs and drives well and the 4 wheel drive works well. i've seen pics of it, but thats it. im going to see it this weekend.

now here are the questions.

1. where can i get a full soft top other than canback? (i think i spelled that right)
2.what can i do to get a 3" lift on the cheap (without a body lift)?
3. best tire size (i figure 31 or 33)?

thanks for all your help for this newb
beachbumberry
Old 10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

its a cheap way out

1. http://www.specialtytopco.com/ 5 week backorder (ive been told)
2. crank torsion bars and add 2 inch lift blocks (thats cheap)
3. 31.10.50's

I called to get a top. thats what they told me about a top for 86 runner, Im figuring thats how it is for any top. My torsion bars are cranked a little and i have 2 inch lift blocks..they were like 50 bux...you'll need longer u-bolts. Others will tell you not to do this. Listen to them, not me. tho mine havent given me any problems yet..ive had em on a couple months. my runners a daily driver. and i run 31.10 50's.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:52 PM

Check eBay for a rag top, you never know what you'll find there, and for how much. All the retail soft tops I've seen are pretty pricey.

Lifts you have a few options:
Front: crank you're torsion bars, that'll give you up to about 2" of lift, but a bit stiffer ride. Or go with Ball Joint sapcers, about $100, but you don't need to crank the t-bars, and they give you more travel. I like mine. Other than those...it gets real expensive real quick

Rear: again a few options, blocks, but don't use much, 3" at most, or things start breaking real easy off road. The only other cheap method is a shackle lift. Comdine 3" longer shackles with say 1" blocks and it should work pretty nice for you. New springs arn't cheap, but blocks and shackles are reasonably priced.

As for tires, until you can afford to re-gear, stick with 31's. Better gas milage, more selection, cheaper, will go 95% of the places 33's will take you. Although, they of lack some of the LCF(look cool factor)
Old 10-05-2006, 03:01 PM

No lift needed to fit 31-33 as long as you stick with stock offset rims no wider then 8 inches. The rest of the fitting can be done with a hammer....just need to flatten out the pinch weld to the cab mount.

Torsion crank lifts wear out your CVs and make it ride like garbage.

Drop bracket lifts are rough on the frame.

2 inch body lift with a 2 inch drivetrain lift www.4crawler.com and a Budbuilt crossmeber (make sure you tell him you have a 2 inch drivetrain lift) is good for about 6-7 inches of break over clearance and to get the tank up a couple extra inches. It makes adding rocks slider easier and give a little extra room if you need to work on the starter.

1 inch ball joint spacer will get you a little lift but retain ride and increase wheel travel.

Custom springs for the rear that flex and to fix the typical sag these years have. Extended shackle to help a little more.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 PM

alrighty... i figure i'll get the tires and then do the torsion bar and shackle lift. as for the top i'll try to make a top out of military canvas like my friend has on his.