Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gas Tank Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas Tank Woes

Dropping the gas tank in my 2nd Gen 3VZE. I found the description, so far I have -
- Took off fuel tank protector
- Emptied tank
- Unplugged 2 sensors
- Removed 6 bolts for the tank

....and now it's stuck pretty sure it's due to the filler neck. My issue is I can't get it off or disconnect anything! The highlighted area (top right) I took off both clamps and have really tugged on it but it seems fused together pretty well. The bottom highlighted area where the filler neck bolts onto the gas tank I cannot access or reach. Any ideas or did I skip a step?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the 3 screws off at the "Filler Pipe Shield", and pull the whole thing out.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
Take the 3 screws off at the "Filler Pipe Shield", and pull the whole thing out.
Is that a huge rubber thing that just sits in there? I tried pulling it and it started to stretch didn't want to tear it...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 AM

Filler pipe shield is off and I see my issue. The gas tank is wedged between the actual frame and where the filler neck bolts to the tank. I think I am going to have to remove the drive shaft in order to get the clearance I need to lower it. Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 AM

Make sure the two(?) bolts holding the filler pipe "protector" to the frame are out - I found them to be a pain to get to even with my BL -the filler pipe "shield" can stay on the truck. You may have to take a small flat blade screwdriver or somrthing similar and "release" the lower filler neck tubes from the upper tubes which stay attached to the truck.
I had to drop my tank 5-6 times this summer......don't ask....
Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hophead
Make sure the two(?) bolts holding the filler pipe "protector" to the frame are out - I found them to be a pain to get to even with my BL -the filler pipe "shield" can stay on the truck. You may have to take a small flat blade screwdriver or somrthing similar and "release" the lower filler neck tubes from the upper tubes which stay attached to the truck.
I had to drop my tank 5-6 times this summer......don't ask....
The two bolts holding the filler pipe are off. The filler pipe "assembly" is loose I can wiggle it around and do whatever my issue is that the gas tank is wedged onto the frame. I push the rear up but, where the filler neck bolts to the gas tank it wedges there too...

Did you have to remove your drive shaft for more clearance?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:24 AM

No I did not remove the d-shaft. So the filler neck is completely loose from all points? From my recolection the tank sits on-top of the brackets so you will have to move it forward or back to drop it off one of the brakets first, then move it the other way to clear the second bracket. I remember it is a pain in the a$$.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hophead
No I did not remove the d-shaft. So the filler neck is completely loose from all points? From my recolection the tank sits on-top of the brackets so you will have to move it forward or back to drop it off one of the brakets first, then move it the other way to clear the second bracket. I remember it is a pain in the a$$.
The top portion of the filler next (where you stick the gas nozzle in -- upper filler pipe) is completely off. I can't reach the lower clamp (where the hose goes onto the lower filler pipe). The clamp is pointed towards the exhaust/drive shaft so I can't get anything on it plus it's rusted up pretty bad so I won't be able to get any leverage.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM

hun if you have to remove the shaft like its wedged in there then do it just mark it and take off at the diff and slide it over not apart i just cant think of how your problem is right now but ive done a lot of tanks before
Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 AM

Also, you should have the splash guard removed on the passenger side, just so you can see things a little better.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Also, you should have the splash guard removed on the passenger side, just so you can see things a little better.
That's off...it's how I got the upper filler pipe/vent clamps off.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Gas tank is off/down woohoo!

My fuel pump bracket is garbage though have to order another one. Just PM'ed DeathCougar so hopefully he can hook me up. My question now is...how do I get the front line off (the one that runs up to towards the intake) I just can't seem to get any leverage. It's pretty seized on there as well so what if I can't get it off should I leave the high pressure fuel hose on?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

What are you trying to accomplish? I know you dropped the tank, but why are you needing to disconnect the line in the front? I had a similar issue with separating that. Line wrenches are almost a neccessity in that case.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM

What are you trying to accomplish? I know you dropped the tank, but why are you needing to disconnect the line in the front? I had a similar issue with separating that. Line wrenches are almost a neccessity in that case.
I bought both lines (rear and front hard lines from the fuel filter) so I wanted to replace everything since I have everything. I have line wrenches but my issue is leverage. I don't have a lot of leverage to crank on it. The larger nut is a 19mm and the smaller flare line nut is a 14mm. The 14mm is pretty rusted so I do feel it slipping when I attempt to crank on it.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 01-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 PM

get a good set of vice grips i use them all the time for things like these
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Well congrats on getting the tank down, I know how much of a bear that thing can be, I cant really offer much advice on the front lines though..
Just one reminder, With the gas tank and stuff, Do it right, The first time , You really dont wanna pull it again...

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 AM

Thanks scuba, that is one of the main reasons I want to replace that front hard line. My only concern is I don't want to break/snap the rubber line that goes up behind the intake. I cannot afford the down time of me pulling the intake to replace that piece. DeathCougar gave me some advice so wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM

Come on sweetheart, you can do this!!!! You've already done the hard part......oh ye of lil faith.....
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM

for breaking the connection of the front hard line to the flex line that goes up into the engine I cut the hard line and pulled the flexible line up into the engine bay (I did not disconnect the other side). I used a pice of 1x12 (any scrap of decent size will do) on top of the engine and broke that connection (on top of the piece of wood) using a line wrench on the flex line and a socket with breaker bar on the hard line (cut near the end and put a socket on the fitting for the hard line).

Put some muscle onto the breaker bar (put the line wrench so that it is just laying on top of the scrap wood) and it will break the connection in no time.

I am not sure if this description made sense but it worked for me. Laying under the truck I was having a hard time like you are trying to break that connection.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM

For reference in case anyone has to do this (I wouldn't even wish this job on my worst enemy)

23206-35290 (Fuel pump/tank bracket) $129
77169-14010 (Gasket) $4.77
93381-15010 x6 (Screws for the fuel tank bracket) $ 0.92 each
------------------------------------------------------------------
Prices as of 2009 for PA

I was able to price match thanks to DeathCougar (saves the day again!)

Thanks for the tip PCE91V64X4, I will give that a try and see if that does the trick. The 14mm side is a tad bit rounded so it's not perfect. Hopefully it's enough to get a decent grip to crack it loose.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 01-07-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Woes