Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

gages, windows and ac blow fuse 94 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gages, windows and ac blow fuse 94 4runner

Hey y'all, i have a 944runner 5 speed that my husband has down a three in body lift on. Well since anout a week or two after he did the lift we seem to keep blowing the fuse that goes to the gages power windows and ac.. we dont even rrally know where to start on this and any ideas yall may have would be a HUGE help.. he dont think it has anything todo with the reverse lights even though they aint workin right either, the fuse blows no matter which way you are going. Also under the dash is some wires and the lead to a box that says shock sensor those aint plugged in can this be part of the problem?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Hi Nikki welcome !!

It might be possible the body lift stretched some wires to the point they are now shorting

Or in the installing of the body lift things got damaged in some way

Is it the gauges themselves not working or the lights .

I would look around for damaged wires.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Hi Nikki welcome !!

It might be possible the body lift stretched some wires to the point they are now shorting

Or in the installing of the body lift things got damaged in some way

Is it the gauges themselves not working or the lights .

I would look around for damaged wires.

Thank you.. we have been looking and looking.. the lights arent working but we dont remeber if they did to begin with.. the biggest problem now is none of the gages work(speedo,gas,ect) they arrows for the blinkers come one but none of my needles move and the windows and ac dont work.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nikki8184
... we seem to keep blowing the fuse that goes to the gages power windows and ac.. we dont even rrally know where to start on this and any ideas yall may have would be a HUGE help.. he dont think it has anything todo with the reverse lights even though they aint workin right either, the fuse blows no matter which way you are going. Also under the dash is some wires and the lead to a box that says shock sensor those aint plugged in can this be part of the problem?
Which fuse is that? The Gauge fuse provides part of the control power for Gauges, power windows, ac, backup lights, heater, automatic antenna, light reminder buzzer, door locks, seat belt warning light, DRL, ADD, CEL. Are all of those out? (Rather than me guess, you could just look at the fuse.)

Does the fuse blow as soon as you plug it in? As soon as you turn the key to on? As soon as you shift into reverse? When you lock the door, run the window, turn on the radio, shift into 4wd?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Which fuse is that? The Gauge fuse provides part of the control power for Gauges, power windows, ac, backup lights, heater, automatic antenna, light reminder buzzer, door locks, seat belt warning light, DRL, ADD, CEL. Are all of those out? (Rather than me guess, you could just look at the fuse.)

Does the fuse blow as soon as you plug it in? As soon as you turn the key to on? As soon as you shift into reverse? When you lock the door, run the window, turn on the radio, shift into 4wd?
Yes all of those you listed are not working and the fuse is for sure blown we have gone though a few just today. It seems to be doing it as soon as we go into reverse..

Last edited by nikki8184; 05-13-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Back up Lights go through the Integration Relay as does the Blower Motor

Which also has the 10 amp gauge fuse in the circuit.

If that fuse keeps opening all those things won`t work.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nikki8184
.... It seems to be doing it as soon as we go into reverse..
See how that easy that was, once you actually describe the problem?

There are two wires into the back-up light switch on the transmission; the R-W goes back to the back up lights (where it changes to R-B at a splice). Somewhere that wire was pinched against the frame grounding it. When you go into reverse you're shorting the gauge fuse to ground through the back-up light switch.

To confirm this, remove one of the back-up light bulbs. One contact is to ground, the other is to the switch. If both have continuity to ground, you've confirmed the problem.

Since (you think) the problem started after messing with the suspension, I'm guessing the problem is where the R-W wire tries to get from the transmission back to the frame support.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
See how that easy that was, once you actually describe the problem?

There are two wires into the back-up light switch on the transmission; the R-W goes back to the back up lights (where it changes to R-B at a splice). Somewhere that wire was pinched against the frame grounding it. When you go into reverse you're shorting the gauge fuse to ground through the back-up light switch.

To confirm this, remove one of the back-up light bulbs. One contact is to ground, the other is to the switch. If both have continuity to ground, you've confirmed the problemk.

Since (you think) the problem started after messing with the suspension, I'm guessing the problem is where the R-W wire tries to get from the transmission back to the frame support.

Good luck!
Thanks will try this tomorrow