YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Fuel tank and components (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/fuel-tank-components-303635/)

JRich77 03-03-2018 05:02 PM

Fuel tank and components

I have a 1986 4runner and looking for a new fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel pump assembly and fuel sending unit. Can anyone recommend a place that sells all of this as a kit. Or at least recommend a place to purchase all these individually? Thanks.

muddpigg 03-03-2018 06:13 PM

Think low Range Offroad has tank.

Got a Denso pump 2 yrs ago off Amazon, wouldn’t run another brand.

Pump holder got off EBay from a dealer.

Soft lines I made from braided stainless steel and AN6 fittings, stock was over $300. Sourcing AN6 to Japanese metric takes searching but I figured it out so anyone can.

JRich77 03-03-2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg (Post 52392435)
Think low Range Offroad has tank.

Got a Denso pump 2 yrs ago off Amazon, wouldn’t run another brand.

Pump holder got off EBay from a dealer.

Soft lines I made from braided stainless steel and AN6 fittings, stock was over $300. Sourcing AN6 to Japanese metric takes searching but I figured it out so anyone can.

Thanks so much muddpigg. Wasnt having too much luck in my search for finding it all as a kit so figured I would have to piece it from different places. Thanks again.

muddpigg 03-03-2018 07:57 PM

To my knowledge you won't. The pump hanger is different length that is easier to make shorter than longer. I didn't need the gauge sending unit but they are still able to be found, but parts are getting harder. I would be cautious of buying used unless you can inspect in person. I paid $80 bucks to convert to braided stainless steel lines bought bulk hose and cut to fit. I didn't research enough and had to relocate fuel filter just because straight fitting hit the knock sensor with filter in stock location. Was easy enough to fashion a bracket, though my fab skills aren't the best on the site. I removed the pulse regulator at the beginning of the fuel rail after researching they are hard to find new, develop leaks, and later models didn't have them. If making custom lines sounds hard it is not at all plus tutorials online and YouTube.

Think Rock Auto has tanks too.

Co_94_PU 03-03-2018 10:12 PM

Not aware of any vendors for an all in one solution either, there are only three or four that really cater to this market and that is a shame. Lots of sources for pumps, a few for tanks, none really for the pump holder assembly and as far as I know zero for the tank level sender.

Slacker should look into this market maybe. I can't really say it would be a good payout, but he/you are a big name in the restoration of these vehicles and we can't thank him (You!) enough..

There is a really good post/thread here about rebuilding the holder. I don't recall the title or much about it other than it was buy a fellow in Alaska on one of the remote islands, he rebuild the holder and all the lines. It had lots of images and part sizes he used. He did it as an example for his kids of "making things work"..

JRich77 03-04-2018 03:45 PM

Thanks guys. My stuff is in too bad of shape to try and re-use and I really don't want used fuel parts. Looks like i can get a few things through A-1, rock auto and amazon/ebay to complete what I need.....although these components aren't cheap!!!

This forum is great! I just picked up my 86 4runner about 2 weeks ago and just joined this group. Lots of helpful info on here. I'm really looking forward to getting her up and running! Thanks again!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...1fcc036c9b.jpg

muddpigg 03-04-2018 04:31 PM

Nice rig!!! Loved those tires. They weren't offered in 35s on 15" rim or I'd still be running them. Kinda slick in less than 6-8" of snow.

JRich77 03-05-2018 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg (Post 52392516)
Nice rig!!! Loved those tires. They weren't offered in 35s on 15" rim or I'd still be running them. Kinda slick in less than 6-8" of snow.

Thanks! I found this sitting under a gentleman's carport. Had been sitting there untouched for years. Don't think he has cranked it in 6 years. Rats had chewed some wires under the hood and had a huge nest in there but I think I have the majority of those fixed. Overall the body and the frame are in great shape. Needless to say the fuel tank and everything with it was rusted bad! Got several things I need to do to her but as soon as I get the new fuel system put in I'm gonna try and fire her up. Can't wait!

muddpigg 03-05-2018 06:10 AM

Probably should send injectors in for cleaning. Flame Thrower had upgrades that were a direct swap. Performancewitch does cleaning and will document flow rate and pattern before and after.