Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

fuel injector fix gone wrong.(come on guys one of you has my answer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fuel injector fix gone wrong.(come on guys one of you has my answer)

1986 4Runner 22r 275,000. Ok, I was driving the other day and all the sudden my engine went on the fritz. Literaly from perfect to crap in about one second. So I drive it home and start looking for a blown air hose or something that would cause this, but nothing. So I start pulling spark plug boots to check for cylinder operation and sure enough the numer 1 cylinder is dead. Check the basic things first and plugs, wires, coil, distributer all check out good and compression is 155. So I move to the fuel side and find that the number 1 injector connector is bad. I find what I think is a short because my volt meter couldn't detect a circut. So I take a wire and splice the connector directly into the source which is one of the yellow male/female connectors behind the battery and relay box on the passenger side(the one that goes into the two inch metal finned box connected to the body). It worked perfect for about an hour then went back to crap.

Here is the gone wrong part, now it dies when no gas is applied. It will die at any speed or temperature. I checked long and hard if there was any thing I didn't re-hook-up but didn't find anything. And right before it dies I hear a clicking sound coming from the ECU area on the passenger side. Any advice could be helpful, thanks.