YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Fuel gauge stuck on High/Temp always reads in middle? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/fuel-gauge-stuck-high-temp-always-reads-middle-243254/)

86toyota 10-18-2011 06:03 AM

Fuel gauge stuck on High/Temp always reads in middle?

My 94 toyota 4 cylinder fuel gauge is pegged on full. Yes I ran out of gas before I realized this. Now I notice that my temp gauge reads in the middle all the time(Even bone cold engine). When the key is off the temp gauge goes down all the way. The full gauge never moves.

Not sure if this is a related or both are separate problems. I put a new coolant temp. sensor on and no difference. Do not see any broken wires on top of tank either. Also took a hammer to gas tank to see if maybe the float was stuck.

Any thoughts?

vermontoyota 10-18-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 86toyota (Post 51804726)
My 94 toyota 4 cylinder fuel gauge is pegged on full. Yes I ran out of gas before I realized this. Now I notice that my temp gauge reads in the middle all the time(Even bone cold engine). When the key is off the temp gauge goes down all the way. The full gauge never moves.

Not sure if this is a related or both are separate problems. I put a new coolant temp. sensor on and no difference. Do not see any broken wires on top of tank either. Also took a hammer to gas tank to see if maybe the float was stuck.

Any thoughts?

I bet you were pumped to be getting such AWESOME fuel economy for the first 300 miles until she died!

thebisch 10-18-2011 06:36 AM

mine did the same thing it wound up being the float in the tank was stuck against the side of the tank, went in bent it strait and now its fine.

xxxtreme22r 10-18-2011 06:36 AM

fuel gauge pegged on full is a grounded wire. Most likely at the tank connection. They like to rust out. See my build thread on how I fixed mine. Mine was a broken wire at first (always read empty) but noticed when I grounded one of the wires by mistake it read full.

And you sure you replaced the correct coolant temp sensor? I believe there is 2 or 3 on the 22re's.
This should be two separate problems IMO.

86toyota 10-19-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r (Post 51804756)
fuel gauge pegged on full is a grounded wire. Most likely at the tank connection. They like to rust out. See my build thread on how I fixed mine. Mine was a broken wire at first (always read empty) but noticed when I grounded one of the wires by mistake it read full.

And you sure you replaced the correct coolant temp sensor? I believe there is 2 or 3 on the 22re's.
This should be two separate problems IMO.

One problem solved. So I didn't replace the right coolant temp sensor after all. I replaced the one the auto parts store sold me. There are 2 on the front of intake manifold by the water outlet. I replaced the right side one that they sold me. Neither of the front ones are right. It was the one in the middle of intake on the top with one wire. I figured it out after looking at the schematic of wire colors.

On to the fuel gauge. If I disconnect the plug at the tank the gauge goes down to empty. The wiring and plug have no corrosion or visible breaks. I was checking continuity and it doesn't seem like the hot wire is grounded. I'm thinking it's a stuck float. Will check on that next.

I did look at your thread pics on your problem. But I think it's in the float on m ine.

yotarover 10-19-2011 10:23 PM

fixed mine. by sticking my hand through the fuel pump hole, reaching over and bending the float a lil. then grabbed the copper wiring to check to see if it was broke.