Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Cut Solenoid Valve O-rings???

Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Cut Solenoid Valve O-rings???

Replaced AP diaphragm and AAP diaphragm and float bowl is still draining (only about 1/3 full by morning). I've read that the o-ring on the fuel cut solenoid might need to be replaced. Would this o-ring be part of the carb rebuild kit? If not where in the world would I get one?

Don't THINK it's related, but I'm still getting no squirts from the gas pedal after replacing both of those diaphragms. I suspect that's just a clog I need to clear.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
How do you know the bowl is almost empty by morning? If it is not starting easily then it could just be the choke. No squirting from the AP or AAP could be a clog or the check balls are stuck.

The fuel cut solenoid is near the top of the carburetor and is most likely not causing the problem you are having, but you can remove the fuel cut solenoid with the carburetor still on the truck, spray carburetor cleaner down the passages where it was removed, then take it to a parts store to find the O-ring.

Your best bet is to get a carburetor rebuilt kit and soak it for a few days before putting it back together. I found that Walmart has the best deal on soaking solvent. They have a container of Berryman's for about $18.00. Soak it then clean every orifice with carburetor cleaner before re-assembling. Rebuilding the carburetor is not as difficult as it sounds, then you know the carburetor is in good shape.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 04-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*whiny kid voice* But I don't WANNA rebuild the carburetor!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL. If you believe it is just the accelerator pump not squirting, take off the AP and blast the passages with carb cleaner with the straw that comes with the can. If you are lucky, then the clog is between the AP and the throat of the carb. There should be a check valve preventing you from blasting carb cleaner the other way. You are sure the linkage is not just stuck?

You can also take the top of the carb off while it is still on the truck so you can get to most of those passages, but you will need a new gasket which I believe only comes with the rebuild kit.

Another thing you could try, that might not work as well, is to drain the fuel out of the carburetor by removing the jet access plug on the bottom near the the sight glass (it will be easier to get a gasket for that since is just a standard washer type gasket), then you can use the fuel line to fill the float bowl with carb cleaner, Seafoam, or or some other cleaner and let it soak for a while. I would be careful with this method as the wrong cleaner might damage the float or the other gaskets and then you would have to rebuild the carburetor. If it is already leaking fuel, this method might make the problem worse if it destroys the rest of a bad gasket or something.

The fuel disappearing could also be caused by some kind of heat saturation or a plugged bowl vent.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 04-22-2015 at 10:42 AM.