Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

front wheel bearing tightening

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front wheel bearing tightening

I have a 95 4x4 with manual hubs.
What is the easiest way to tighten the front wheel bearings? Can the lockout hub assembly be removed as an entire unit allowing a person to get straight to the nut that needs to be tightened?
I can't seem to find anything the the online FSM I have copied on my computer. It tells a person how to disassemble the hub assembly, but I don't want to mess with that at all *if it can simply be removed allowing a person to get right at the center nut.
Sorry, I'm not an active 4x4 enthusiast and the thought of springs disappearing in the snow as I struggle to do this in my driveway in 25 degree weather makes me hope for a little insight from someone who could take the time to offer it.

My wheels both indicate that both front bearing are a little loose. I want to repack them with some grease and re-tighten the nuts with the least amount of disassembly as needed cosidering the conditions I will be forced to work in.

ANY help appreciated, even if it is a direct link to another thread or the correct area in the FSM that I can't seem to find.

Please help..........
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...nd/reassembly/

:wabbit2:
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM

If you are talking about the front hub bearing preload, then its pretty easy to get access. Just remove the 6 nuts that hold manual hub cover on and go from there. No major disassembly. Its a lock ring and a set of large jam nuts to hold preload.

Do you have the 54mm or 2-1/8" socket to loosen/tighten the preload nuts?

There are several methods on how to set preload without the SST spring tensioner. Just do a search and you will find them.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You will have to remove the hub in two parts. 1st undo the 6 hub dial bolts and take the dial off. In there you will see a gold bolt that will need to come off. Once that bolt is off there are some cone washers that will need to be poped off each of the bolt studs. Then the hub will come off and let you into the actual wheel bearings and the various lock nuts and washers. To do the job right the brake calipers will need to come off as well as the hub.

There are plenty of write ups on here to see how to do it. If the above sounds too much for you...get a professional to do it. The expense is minimal...

Edit...here is a link
http://www.yankeetoys.org/Documents/AisinHubs.pdf

Last edited by snobdds; 01-29-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM

Thanks, I got it taken care of yesterday before I seen these replies. snobdds, you were right on with the description I would give after doing it. The first side took about 35 mins because I couldn't get the cone washers to budge for a bit, but the other side was alot easier/faster (funny how that works ).
The one side didn't even have the tabs bent over on the 'retaining washer', no wonder it came a little loose. Both bearing sets where fine and I repacked them.
All is well now, thanks for the replies.