Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed

I just finished the install of my new heated leather seats. The originals were getting pretty soft and a bit worn so when a set of blue leather heated sport seats from and Audi TT came up on eBay I couldn't resist. Check out the side-by-side comparison picture.

The hardest part of the project was removing the mounting standoffs from the old seats and welding them to the rails on the Audi seats. The standoffs were riveted and spot welded to the original seat rails from the factory and were a b*tch to get off! Add to that the fact that the Audi rails are 1.25" closer together than the 4Runners and it gets even more interesting. Fortunately it all worked out eventually and as you can see in the picture the finished install looks pretty fine. The seats adjust fore and aft as well as up and down and the seat back is continuously adjustable.

In addition to the seats themselves I picked up a set of matching heater controls and did a custom install in the dash below the radio (picture). Now my butt will be comfy and warm on those long drives up to the slopes this winter!

I can only include 3 pics per post so I will try to add some more in a follow-up.

Ciao!

Jim G.
Attached Thumbnails Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed-seats.jpg   Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed-seat1.jpg   Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed-console.jpg  
Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Seat Install Cont'd

Here's a few more shots:
- a before and after of the Audi seat rail which was shortened by 1.5 inch.
- a shot of the modified seat rail with the supports welded on.
- a shot of the seat bottom with the connectors; the green connector is where the wiring from the control mounted in the dash is terminated

Jim G.
Attached Thumbnails Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed-rails.jpg   Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed-rails2.jpg   Front Seat Swap in '91 4Runner Completed-seat-bottom.jpg  
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats some grade A crafty craftsmanship there, man. I give it a 10/10. If I had a blue interior, I'd hope to have your luck and skill. Keep up the good work. See what kind of rear seats you can find! hah!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrant721
I just finished the install of my new heated leather seats. The originals were getting pretty soft and a bit worn so when a set of blue leather heated sport seats from and Audi TT came up on eBay I couldn't resist. Check out the side-by-side comparison picture.

The hardest part of the project was removing the mounting standoffs from the old seats and welding them to the rails on the Audi seats. The standoffs were riveted and spot welded to the original seat rails from the factory and were a b*tch to get off! Add to that the fact that the Audi rails are 1.25" closer together than the 4Runners and it gets even more interesting. Fortunately it all worked out eventually and as you can see in the picture the finished install looks pretty fine. The seats adjust fore and aft as well as up and down and the seat back is continuously adjustable.

In addition to the seats themselves I picked up a set of matching heater controls and did a custom install in the dash below the radio (picture). Now my butt will be comfy and warm on those long drives up to the slopes this winter!

I can only include 3 pics per post so I will try to add some more in a follow-up.

Ciao!

Jim G.
How did you do this???

I am trying to figure out how to get the old rails off of my bench seat so I can install them on my bucket seats. I cut off one of the rivets, but the damn thing is still attached and won't budge.

How did you get the old rails to come off? How on earth did you you reach the center rivet to cut it off or drill it out?

I need help! Thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Just swapped nissan maxima seats in my truck, i'm glad i did.
Looks like yours were a pretty good swap.