Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front End Issues & Wheel Bearings: Timken or Koyo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Front End Issues & Wheel Bearings: Timken or Koyo?

I'm getting ready to put new rotors and pads on my '89 4runner. It has 198,000 miles on the odometer. I only know its history going back to 179,000 miles and I am trying to trace down a vibration (shimmy or wobble) in the steering and a pulsation in the brake pedal that both only occur when I apply the brakes. Otherwise, the truck tracks well going down the road stays pretty straight when I apply the brakes. I jacked the truck up in the front, one wheel at a time, and tried to flex the steering and suspension to check the ball joints, idler arm, tie rods and wheel bearings for any signs of excessive movement. I wasn't able to detect anything wrong. The pulsing in the brake pedal makes me think that I might have a warped rotor. In any case, I have good reason to go ahead and replace the rotors and pads. And while I have the hubs off I think I might as well also tackle the wheel bearings. This seems like's stuff worth doing anyway and I hope it will move me closer to a solution for my front end shaking, shimmying problems.

Also, I have found Timken bearings for about 30% less than the best price I can find on a Japanese set of Koyos. I'm sure people on this board will be leaning towards the Japanese bearings, But I would also like to hear some opinions from experience with the Timkens. And also to find out if anybody knows if the Timken bearings are made in the USA.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The symptoms you've described are typical to rotor problems. I would do those first, especially if the truck needs brakes anyway.

And, something to keep in mind. If you change the wheel bearing at the same time you do the rotors etc you won't know which one was the problem.

From my racing experiences Timken bearings were always a very good product.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds just like rotors. I had the same issue. Ordered a set of Bosch rotors and Wagner pads for $60 total on Rock Auto. Stops amazingly well now.

Since you are already at that point (almost completely torn down) I'd replace your wheel bearings. I'd go with Koyo, but Timkens are fine too. I have whatever AutoZone had so do as I say, not as I do!
Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Any brand of non-chinese bearings will do fine. Koyo, Timken, Bower, SKF, ect. Once you get some cross-over numbers, you can usually find bearings for really good prices.

No need to just change them out of hand though. Clean yours with solvent and compressed air and examine them.

Chances are very good that all they'll need is repacking and correct adjustment on reassembly.

Looking over my spares I find The Timken numbers for !FS are : Set #47 which contains LM102910 and LM102949 and the other cup and cone: JLM104910 and JLM104948

The Timkin bearings I have on hand are indeed made in the USA, but I have seen Timkin bearings made in other countries. I have never seen any chinese timken bearings though.

Last edited by millball; 05-02-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and particularly to MillBall for the part numbers.

I just got an offer to have my rotors turned for free. If they have enough metal I'm tempted to go that route.

The lowest price option seems to be Timken from Rock Auto. It looks like you save a couple bucks by buying "set 47" for the outers, as opposed to buying the bearings and races separately. On the inners it looks like there is no set so you buy the races and cones separately. It runs about $59.39 for the complete package w/shipping. Rock doesn't seem to have Koyo.The best deal I found on Koyo is from an ebay seller; $67.92 for all the bit and pieces with shipping. I think for an extra $9 I'd go with the Koyos. I also like to support eBay sellers that have excellent feedback. I find that the service is better and the shipping is usually less. But this doesn't include gaskets and seals. Seals are dirt cheap from Rock, but the hub gaskets are harder to find and a little expensive. All things considered, MarlinCrawlers kit starts looking pretty good. $107.24 would get me Koyo bearings, seals, gaskets and the spindle lock washer, with shipping. That's about $10 more than scrounging up the pieces from multiple sellers, but it seems like it would be worth it to avoid the hassle of dealing with multiple sellers. And I'd be supporting a real to Toyota 4x4 pioneer and diehard.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/f...el-bearing-kit
Old 05-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wrenchtech
I just got an offer to have my rotors turned for free. If they have enough metal I'm tempted to go that route.
Go for it. Nothing wrong with turned rotors as long as they are within spec.