YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Front crank Seal fixed but still Leaks Oil (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/front-crank-seal-fixed-but-still-leaks-oil-268562/)

tetonvalley4runner 05-04-2013 10:28 AM

Front crank Seal fixed but still Leaks Oil

It was pouring out the front crankshaft seal of my 1989 4runner with a 22re motor. I replaced the seal and put on a new speedy sleeve on the harmonic balancer. The old sleeve was shredded and had grooves in it. But it still leaks out the crank seal. Please tell what could possibly have gone wrong?

rbuchmann 05-04-2013 05:17 PM

Are you sure its the crank seal leaking and not maybe from the timing cover itself?

Rhyno 05-04-2013 06:21 PM

If the new sleeve isnt working, I would personally take it off and use a new thinner seal. You can keep it out of the original groove since it is not as thick as the older seal. Thats what i did and it went from gushing to not leaking a drop. You wont need a sleeve if you do this.

Mandy Tuning 05-04-2013 07:33 PM

did you use any sealer under the sleeve.

tetonvalley4runner 05-04-2013 08:05 PM

No sealer under the sleeve.

tetonvalley4runner 05-04-2013 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rbuchmann (Post 52073578)
Are you sure its the crank seal leaking and not maybe from the timing cover itself?

I'm sure. It's definitely the crank seal.

tetonvalley4runner 05-04-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rhyno (Post 52073597)
If the new sleeve isnt working, I would personally take it off and use a new thinner seal. You can keep it out of the original groove since it is not as thick as the older seal. Thats what i did and it went from gushing to not leaking a drop. You wont need a sleeve if you do this.

They show only only sleeve and one seal for 1980-1994 22res. What are you talking about?

But one thing I did notice when I put in the harmonic balancer was that it went in really easy. I did grease it but still... seems like there should have been more resistance.

Mandy Tuning 05-05-2013 11:25 AM

i believe he means with a thinner seal you can put it deeper and the seal lip will run in a smoother part of the balancer

Mandy Tuning 05-05-2013 11:31 AM

if you use the sleeve with out sealer i bet oil will run under the sleeve making it appear an oil seal leak.my truck balancer have multiple horrible deep grooves from the seal over time,seems other owners move the seal to different position making multiple grooves,for my surprise,i use a good quality japanase made oil seal and have 0 oil leak from this engine

tetonvalley4runner 05-05-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mandy Tuning (Post 52073758)
if you use the sleeve with out sealer i bet oil will run under the sleeve making it appear an oil seal leak.my truck balancer have multiple horrible deep grooves from the seal over time,seems other owners move the seal to different position making multiple grooves,for my surprise,i use a good quality japanase made oil seal and have 0 oil leak from this engine

Well, I'm definitely going to try a different seal. But the sleeve will stay at $30+. Also the sleeve had to be driven on to the pulley with the tool that came with it. The fit is tight and the oil that would come between it would be minimal if any. The oil is coming out between the sleeve and the seal because the fit wasn't that tight. Yeah, maybe it is worth it to get a seal from a dealer. But unfortuately, the nearest Toyota dealer is 70 miles away and al we have is parts stores.

mitutoyo 05-05-2013 02:56 PM

Is the seal located right above the oil pan gasket like on a 88-2000 4cyl Honda? I ask because I went through the exact issue on my CRX and blamed the crank seal come to find out that it was the aftermarket oil pan gasket all along. I had just done an oil change so the oil was pretty translucent and hard to see exactly where the leak was coming from. I RTV'd the gasket and no more leaks.

Rhyno 05-05-2013 03:53 PM

i believe he means with a thinner seal you can put it deeper and the seal lip will run in a smoother part of the balancer
Exactly. You can buy a seal at the parts store in different thicknesses. Buying one a little bit thinner helped me since it didnt ride in the groove on the crank. I understand if you bought the sleeve and want to use it, but this is another option if it continues to leak. Good luck.

Mandy Tuning 05-05-2013 05:31 PM

the seal that cames on the timing kits are junk also the national ones. i didnt take a pic of mine,but is the worst scenario of a bad harmonic.when i open the engine wasnt leaking and have a japanese seal,i rebuilt the engine and use another japan made seal with no sleeve to test my luck after 1.5 years at 15 psi boost still going great and yes,it doesnt go so tight.

Mandy Tuning 05-05-2013 05:34 PM

im purchase manager at a local autopart store in P.R,if you need some good quality or genuine parts i can get them for you guys

tetonvalley4runner 05-02-2014 07:54 PM

It actually always always kept leaking. I don't drive it much as it has oiled the right side brake so much that it pulls to the left. Any way, I cleaned the front of the engine spotless and it leaks right out between the block and the timing cover. Time for a new engine. Not worth my time to do such a major fix on an old engine.

wyoming9 05-03-2014 10:24 AM

:welder: i thought by now The Teton Valley would have all kinds of Car Dealerships.

I remember going to Idaho Falls to to shop.

Funny I would spend the Money to rebuild the engine maybe you can afford to buy a new one.