Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

front axle locker question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front axle locker question

so looking into a lunchbox locker for the rear of my truck i came across something that mentioned front locking hubs and it got me thinking

since i have front locking hubs, if i have a lockrite/ powertrax locker in my front differential, when my hubs are in the free setting, will my axle drive like an open differential, then when my front axle is locked, it acts as a locker?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah thats correct
Old 10-11-2009, 01:48 PM

you can only tell it in there when its in 4 wheel drive with the hubs locked
Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I welded my front and run unlocked on the street. Never going back.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

ok, now for my next question, should i buy a front locker or a rear locker, since i have a pickup i have no weight in my rear so its always spinning out as is (offroad) so should i just get a front locker?

ive always had the idea that a rear locker is best because of weight shift, but this is my first pickup and it has me thinking
Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

For me, rear first.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM

I done the front so my rear would be more stable in the snow.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Although alot of people will say rear, I think a front is better to go with first - think about it, a front wheel drive car has more traction in slippery stuff - I want the front PULLING me through stuff instead of the rear pushing.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Although alot of people will say rear, I think a front is better to go with first - think about it, a front wheel drive car has more traction in slippery stuff - I want the front PULLING me through stuff instead of the rear pushing.
exactly
Old 10-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

are we talking snow or mud?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM

heck if i know. Im just speaking daily.. for offroad id go with the rear since he has more flex back there. But for a daily that is wheeled just a little Id go with the front.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

i go to college in oswego ny, so snow is very important, however there is alot of mud here (even though i prefer trails/ hill climbs) so its what i typically offroad in

so putting a locker in the front will definitely be like driving with an open axle with the manual locking hubs arent locked right?
also, what will it be like if the hubs are locked but im in 2wd compared to an open axle?

last question, how much harder would it be to put a lock-rite in the front as compared to the rear (3rd member)
Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bain
heck if i know. Im just speaking daily.. for offroad id go with the rear since he has more flex back there. But for a daily that is wheeled just a little Id go with the front.
this is the first time I've read a statement about locking diffs, and it's ACTUALLY made me think about welding up my front diff

Old 10-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i go to college in oswego ny, so snow is very important, however there is alot of mud here (even though i prefer trails/ hill climbs) so its what i typically offroad in

so putting a locker in the front will definitely be like driving with an open axle with the manual locking hubs arent locked right?
also, what will it be like if the hubs are locked but im in 2wd compared to an open axle?

last question, how much harder would it be to put a lock-rite in the front as compared to the rear (3rd member)
I lived in Watertown and Buffalo for 5 years. You do not want a locked front end if you DD up there.

have fun with a locked front end if you need to DD your truck in 4wd during the winter.
They like to pull in the direction they want to go.
My arms are tired after a day of wheeling fighting my front locker.
Selectable is the only way to go upfront on a DD.

easiest would be in do a rear locker. I did my aussie install myself.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 PM

IMO.. i hate my lockers on snowy roads. you have to learn how to drive with them or you'll be doing 360's.. but I love them on snowy trails.. I say look for an e-locker rear end..
Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

IMO.. i hate my lockers on snowy roads. you have to learn how to drive with them or you'll be doing 360's.. but I love them on snowy trails.. I say look for an e-locker rear end..
I liked driving with my locked rear on my old tacoma in deep snow at slower speeds, but not at higher ones or on twisty roads at higher speeds - I agree though you dont want a welded front in a snowy region just because you wouldnt want to deal with the locked front every time you engaged 4wd in the snow and wanted to drive at higher speeds on road. But if you got a selectable locker in the front that would be the way to go, as at slower speeds when there is deep snow or mud it would get you through more than a rear locker when you needed it to.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM

Dude you guys are makin me wanna go mobbin so bad! It doesn't snow here but we're supposed to get the first rain of the year on tuesday, then i can finally mud mob my runner! Not to change the subject or anything...
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I done the front so my rear would be more stable in the snow.
I did my rear so it would be more stable in snow. Rear locked in 4wd is awesome for slippery on road snow.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm welded front and rear and wouldn't have it any other way unless I could afford an ARB for the rear. I'm burning up the 38's way to fast driving it on the pavement... I've had and have heard of other people having BAD experiences with lunchbox lockers. Especially if the carrier is stressed or stretched a little or if the locker starts to wear. I started to pull out my driveway after installing one in my rear. Didn't even make it to the road before I turned around and ripped it back out. It would almost kick my whole truck completely sideways.. imop start with the front though. cheaper (on tires) and a little better for weeling. Might need hydro assist and should upgrade axle shafts for anything over 35's though.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned

i dont even have enough power to run 33s so 35s arent in the future of this truck, how hard it is to install a locker in the front with the ifs though, do i need to remove the ring gear with 4.10s?

Quick Reply: front axle locker question