YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Found Speedometer cable cheap. Quiet and no more bouncing (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/found-speedometer-cable-cheap-quiet-no-more-bouncing-98551/)

trythis 11-01-2006 02:53 PM

EDIT: NOT!! (Found Speedometer cable-cheap 22r. Quiet and no more bouncing)

My speedometer cable was getting so loud that I couldn't tell if a belt pulley bearing was frozen or what.
Some Toyota dealers wanted $60 to $90 for a cable. Yikes! I got one from Napa for $19 with tax.
It doesn't have the firewall grommet, or the extra thick plastic spools for the routing brackets, but it fits. I took the grommet off mine (but had to cut most of it out), and snapped the old spools into the brackets with the new cable and that worked fine.
No more noise, no more bouncing speedometer, now I can hear an exhaust leak or something.:welder:
Napa's system shows that it is only for the manual, but it fits fine on the automatic. It is 90 inches long and the one on my truck is maybe 80 inches, but the extra length makes it easier to install.

Napa part number Item#: BK 6151677
17.99 before ta

breknraj 11-01-2006 03:22 PM

Be warned that the NAPA cable does not work with the V-6s. Ordered one a couple of years ago. I gave them the stats on the truck, and they ordered the cable. Found out that I couldn't use it, AFTER I had torn everything apart to change it! Took it back to NAPA to find out WTF, and they looked it up, again, and said that the part I had was for a 4 cylinder, and that they had no part for a V-6. I collected my refund, and thanked them kindly for wasting my day! (s)

I have never found an aftermarket cable for my truck, so I bit the bullet and got a stealership one, while I'm changing the engine. Still a PITA to change.

trythis 11-11-2006 05:02 AM

After using the Napa cable for one week, It started squealing louder than my Toyota original with 150,000 miles. I went to a speedometer shop and had one made for $30.00 It is made much better than the one from napa, so hopefully it will last as long as the OEM cable.

86toyota 02-21-2007 03:23 PM

How's the new cable working out? I just called my Napa and it is the same price and part no. I'm wondering if I should chance it, thinking maybe you got a bad one. This is for my 89 pickup.

Keggo 02-21-2007 03:34 PM

He edited it... apparently after a week of use, the Napa speedo cable squealed louder than the old one!!

Originally Posted by trythis
After using the Napa cable for one week, It started squealing louder than my Toyota original with 150,000 miles. I went to a speedometer shop and had one made for $30.00 It is made much better than the one from napa, so hopefully it will last as long as the OEM cable.

91ToyTrck 02-21-2007 04:02 PM

Where did you find a speedometer shop? Never heard of one of those.

trythis 02-21-2007 07:01 PM

I happened to have seen one in Kansas City driving around once, so I looked them up in the phone book. Apparently this guy has enough business to keep going for years. I think he works on old cars a lot. Got a 58 Buick, nobody is going to have the parts, but he can make them. He doesn't carry a stock of Toyota sized stuff, but he can make the modifications.

Just keep your receipt from napa, they will give you your money back. I lost my receipt, so I had to eat the $20

Matt16 05-25-2008 12:43 PM

Is your speedo cable still working well?

86toyota 05-25-2008 04:11 PM

I did buy one from napa. I gave it to my friend after I found a stock toyota one in a junk yard. This was a year ago. His has worked perfectly since then, with no problems. Mine is kinda jumpy thou.

trythis 02-19-2010 07:17 PM

update on the custom speedo cable. Finally in January 2010, the cable I had made squawks if it is below 10 degrees for 1/2 hour till it worms up, above 15 nice and quite. I think if I had it greased it would be fine.

GenXr 02-19-2010 07:28 PM

thanks for the update! You mind posting up the contact info for your speedo shop?

AzStorm 02-20-2010 11:03 AM

Why not save your $$$ and just lube the darn thing?

We have a shop here in Phoenix called Dicks Speedo
read the reviews here
http://local.yahoo.com/info-19976969...orated-phoenix

crafthorse 02-22-2010 07:09 AM

I bought one from NAPA a year ago, no problems. It is longer, but it doesnt hurt it.

86bedlesstoy 10-26-2015 10:23 AM

Wondering if you can just lube it up and it will work it's way down the cable with all the vibration.