Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Flamethrower fuel injector review, v6

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flamethrower fuel injector review, v6

Hello all, this thread is to post an unbiased review of the fuel injectors "flamethrower" is selling. so let me begin with some background...

A few days ago I contacted him about trying his injectors and well, he picked me to be apart of the trial group. Im a Toyota technician in NJ and I currently own a 1994 4runner v6, 4wd manual, installed manual hubs, running 31 inch BFs. The truck has about 196,000 miles on the clock and was given to me at 180,000 by my older brother. Its my daily driver as well as a running resto...which is pretty hard to do, but im trying.

now, as for the injectors. before I begin, let me just state the obvious...most of us driving these trucks have a high mileage, and im pretty sure they are all in a different state of tune, so results are gonna vary from truck to truck...as for mine, ler me begin.

I installed them today with very little hassle...they come with all the O-rings needed..its just a matter of removing the necessary parts and replacing the injectors. The one thing I did notice once all the air was out is the difference in idle both in how fast it resumed and the tone in the exhaust ( I have a magnaflow 2 1/4)...its a lighter tone than with the stock injectors, and trust me, its loud enough that u can tell.

As I went on my road test home, I did also notice when the throttle is opened, it seemed crispy, more responsive...not im not gonna make a claim like "omg I gained 50 horse"...but the motor does seem to respond in a positive way to these injectors..i found myself shifting less on inclines that I normally have to look for gears. as far as mileage, its to early to tell because I have 3/4 of a tank and I need to burn this tank to get an accurate measure. so that said, I will continue to update my fuel mileage.
One thing I suggest u do if u replace the injectors is either pull the pcm fuse for 15 or 30 seconds or pull the neg on the battery for the same time...this will allow the computer the start a new trim map with the new injectors...you don't have to do it, but it helps.

Now, would I recommend these injectors? yes..but with the understanding that they are "better replacement" than just goin with stock...I wouldn't say they make horsepower, rather they make what u have more user friendly and smoother. I felt nothing negative so far with the injectora and the 40 mile ride home was test enough if anything was to show up.

if ive missed anything or if u have any questions, please post and I would gladly try to answer them as soon as I can.

Last edited by Borg18; 07-23-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM

I too have those injectors in my v6 '89 pickup. I agree 100% and lemme tell ya i did notice better fuel mileAge on mine
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested to hear how things go. If you get a bump in MPG's I'm buying some and selling my recently reman'd stock ones since they will pay themselves off in a few months for me, and then some.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 AM

update 7/23: the more i drive the truck the more i can feel how much smoother the throttle is and alot less chugging in higher gears. before, if i left it in 4th and slowed to about 30 or abit slower, it would chug and choke unitl it picked up speed. Now, it does it alot less..not that i forget to shift often..lol. But once again, im liking these injectors as a replacement to my high mileage factory injectors. will post prelim fuel mileage soon...my commute consits of mainly small town roads, with a few hills in between...rarely do i hit highway speeds.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the thorough review- I appreciate honest comments with zero hyperbole.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:23 PM

You welcome
Old 08-02-2013, 04:56 AM

ok, well after 3 tanks ,im ready to give my final assessment. Now, let me give a brief discription on how i do things. I believe i have OCD when it comes to checking fuel mileage. I go to the same 2 gas stations and use the same pumps when i can cause they tilt the truck to squeeze every little bit of fuel in the tank. I do this with all my cars so its not new to me and im pretty sure with my numbers. i always run 87, i always drive with my hubs unlocked, 38 psi in all tires (BF comps), and i fill up when i hit 1/4 tank. I rarely hit highway but keep a cruising speed. NOw before the injector swap, my last 3 tanks were 16.5 ,16.7 , and 16.3. after the swap, i recorded 15.8 , 15.3 and 15.8.
Now, remeber, every truck is gonna be alittle different in what people will get, some will get power, driveability, and mpg....some might get less....im still pretty pleased with how much smoother my idle is and how it drives overall, and im sure some might say that the few tenths off my original mpg reading isnt a big deal...and your right...i just wanted to give u my version of a review and show the real before and after.
would i still recommend these injectors? yes i would, because of how much smoother my engine is. u have to remeber, most of our motors are well over 150k...mine is now pushing 195k all original...so keep that in mind. so if ur looking for a replacement injector, i would still consider these injectors..