Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fitting an OEM swing out spare tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitting an OEM swing out spare tire carrier

I have an 95 $runner and I am now running 33's. I want to get a 33 spare but can't fit it under the truck with the OEM winch system. I have in my possession a complete swing out spare system taken from a 1990 2 door runner including the plate that mounts to the tailgate.

When I removed it, it definitely looked like there was reinforcement in the sheet metal above and below the brake light where the hinges bolted to the body. Also looked like there was a big backing plate in the tailgate to blot the support plate to.

Has anyone successfully retrofitted one of these to a vehical no originally equipped? Seeming like a more daunting job then I originally planned. Maybe I'll just attempt to sell it? What's it worth?

How esle do you carry a 33" spare?

Thanks,

Old 11-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Try this thread that Matt16 posted. I think that it has what you are looking for:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...arrier-155857/
Old 11-01-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks for that. Not sure how I didn't find it.

Ack, cutting and rewelding the inner fender is more then I bargained for. I also forgot the backup lights Looks like it's for sale

On another note, 33" spare? Roof or in the back the only options?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprockett
Thanks for that. Not sure how I didn't find it.

Ack, cutting and rewelding the inner fender is more then I bargained for. I also forgot the backup lights Looks like it's for sale

On another note, 33" spare? Roof or in the back the only options?

Thanks
That was my conclusion as well. Not that I wouldn't be willing to drill into the body, or weld, just that in the effort to retrofit an OEM tire carrier, I could build a bumper and add tire carrier to that.

33" spare cannot be carried under a 4Runner, a 31" tire is a tight fit. That leaves you with the roof, the tire carrier or in the cargo area.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
be different... just go OEM!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Go at it from the inside, pull your interior panels and tack some plate up there. The body contour isn't a huge deal. Wire in some bumper mounted reverse lights and there you are....my main goal is to integrate my factory swing out into a marlin rear bumper (bottom hinge becomes part of bumper or fab a add on hinge still mulling it over) ,if it works I would actually be disgusted at my brilliance.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flatland4runner
Go at it from the inside, pull your interior panels and tack some plate up there. The body contour isn't a huge deal. Wire in some bumper mounted reverse lights and there you are....my main goal is to integrate my factory swing out into a marlin rear bumper (bottom hinge becomes part of bumper or fab a add on hinge still mulling it over) ,if it works I would actually be disgusted at my brilliance.
The rubber body mounts have some give to them so attaching part of the carrier to the frame (via the bumper) and part to the body may not be advisable. You could always buy polyurethane body mounts from 4Crawler and that might make this design feasible.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM

give ya 40.00 dollars for the rear tire carrier!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
The rubber body mounts have some give to them so attaching part of the carrier to the frame (via the bumper) and part to the body may not be advisable. You could always buy polyurethane body mounts from 4Crawler and that might make this design feasible.
Bring back this thread...

I still have this thing and now I am in the process of designing a custom rear bumper. I am considering exactly as you advise against above. So, how bad an idea is this? Is the body movement on the frame significant or more just vibration? Really the entire rear carrier only clips to the tailgate with a simple D ring design so there must be some give it in anyways. I'm thinking to reuse the OEM arm and just modify the hinges to connect to a bar up from the bumper. OEM tailgate too.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Kinda funny.I have been reading the 3rd gen forum and just checked out this side tonight.( I have a 2nd and a 3rd one).So i just modified a spare tire carrier.Too bad i did not made pictures about the process itself but i will try to put up some pics about the result. I attached it to a costum bumper.Nothing fancy.My tools are quite limited.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
33" spare cannot be carried under a 4Runner, a 31" tire is a tight fit. That leaves you with the roof, the tire carrier or in the cargo area.
Actually, that isn't necessarily true; the problem is that the bumper gets in the way....

Originally Posted by Sprockett
Bring back this thread...

I still have this thing and now I am in the process of designing a custom rear bumper.
Well, if you are removing the bumper anyway, then if you are careful about how the new one is made, it can indeed be made to fit under there.

If you DO want it under the truck... on my '89, I currently carry a 32x11.5 and I'd wager a 33x12.5 would fit too, although tight, I just haven't tried it.
It dosn't seem to be an issue of fitting beitween the frame rails, as much as the bumper sticking out.
My rear bumper is a straight piece of 2x3 (3" height), and attached via 2x2 stock that is slid into the frame rails. b/c the rails are up under the body, there are pieces coming down t ~30 deg from tehre which are welded to the bumper. Point is, if the backside of the bar for your bumper is, say, even w/ teh plane of the hatch, then the tire should fit.
I have a 2" square hitch receiver in teh middle of my bumper, originally thsi is what I used to access the tire winch gismo. Now I have a 1" body lift, so I go in between the bumper and tailgate (1" space).
Easy enough to just take the bumper off and try the tire in there, then fab the bumper around it; if you have a body lift, then accessing it will be even easier.

Now, of course this is really nice for on-road use, but also keep in mind that chances are if you need that tire offroad, it coudl suck getting it ou tfrom there. More importantly, a 12.5" wide tire will really stick out on the bottom and tend to drag on stuff...
... if it's just a spare, could get a skinny 10.5 or even 9.5 to limit this, or (what I do) just remove it just for for 4wheeling trips and strap it down in the bed/cargo space.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:05 AM

Here are some pics.

So what i did:
removed the factory hinges, cut the upper arm at the cross member.
i was lucky and found a big bolt(1" diameter).I drilled a hole into the bumper at that time the bottom was still upen.Even the head of the bolt macthed between the two side walls of the bumper.Idrilled a 1 " hole in the end of the arms.
The biggest problem is the factory hidges further out in both direction than my big bolt.So i cut carefully the pipe around at the and of the arm and pulled out the carrier part of the hidge(sorry i have no idea to to call it) and turned it around.plus i cut the pipe shorther.Than came another problem .This part of the hinge is precisely machined and the pipe inside as well because i cut it shorter a lost part of this part.I simply drilled in the pipe(which was pain in the butt.I have a short pressdill,so i turned put its upper part and hold the whole tire carrier withe my legs) and grinded off a bit from the hinge.Than i hammered it in.
i had too option with the upper arm what i cut off weld it to the lower one(i should cut off the plate holder).I went to the other way.I thinkit is actually stronger a bit because the weight pushing a bit lower to the big bolt as well,not only at the top where the original lower arm is.
Sorry for the long post and for my english(it is not my first language).
Attached Thumbnails Fitting an OEM swing out spare tire carrier-rear1.jpg   Fitting an OEM swing out spare tire carrier-rear2.jpg   Fitting an OEM swing out spare tire carrier-rear3.jpg  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Well i think the pics are too small.It did not let me attach bigger.If somebody needs them i can send it in email.I forgot to mentioned the upper part.Luckily (again)i have a few pipes from a junkyard sitting around which are the same diameter and it was already bent in 90 degree.I cut it to the perfect size and weld it to where the upper arm was originally.And as you see it is not totally finished yet.Have to cut the big bolt shorter and put something at the top of it.I want ro reweld a few places as well.
Oh yeah and the rear door.Mine was really rusted and i modified it to open sideways.Than i found a spotless one at a wrecker which had this type of tire carrier than came the idea to do this modification.My spare tire actually was in the back or if i needed the room on the roof because the factory staff under the vehicle is totaly rusted since i bought this truck.

Last edited by maxigaz; 11-23-2008 at 11:17 AM.