Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

First Mod... Awww :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mod... Awww :)

Luck was on our side this weekend... We took my friends 1988 4Runner 3.0L with 430 000 KMs on it for a nice 20 hour drive to pick up my runner. It made it fine, but the day after we got home we were both washing our trucks, and just as he is finishing up, a stream of coolant starts flowing from the water pump... Thankfully we were home!!!

So tonight I was giving him a hand with it and found myself useless for a little while... I booted over to home depot and got the amazing $6 worth of ISR stuff... It took no more than 15 mins start to finish ( I left the PVC caps white ) and I was very leary of what this mod would do...

Here is my 2 cents: I took it up the street and back driving normally, 3000 rpm shifts, and thought nothing of it.. it made no sound difference and no performance gains.... On my drive home, I stayed into the throttle and noticed at between 3500 and 4000 RPMs the intake really starts to sound very different... MUCH louder... more noise than I thought it would! Still not sure if there are any performance gains, but the sound was worth the $6 and the 15 mins!

I thought I could hold out to get my first mod to be my lift, but guess not thats thursday night!!!

Cheers
Bob
Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 AM

430,000KM, wow.... about 270,000 miles, thats quite alot! Stock 3.0? If so, thats the most ive ever heard out of one!

Nice purchase, btw! (the runner)
Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

It made it to about 415 000 on the original engine... I did the head gaskets at about 400 000 and it looked sooo soo MINT... Sadly one day out playing he went through what he though was a small puddle, turned out to be short, but deep. Engine sucked in water and bent a rod... shame.... I know it would still be alive and well if that never had happened...

at 415 000 it was using no oil!!! the truck had been in my frineds family since new, and to this day is maintained to perfection.... It is starting to get a little tired now though
Old 03-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

ill hopefully be doing the isr mod on my junk this weekend. i had a glance at the engine bay the other day just to see what was gonna go where. a question for you since its fresh in your noggin'...

where did you put the line that run into the intake tube in the back? into the .5" plug on the backside of the tube? i think it runs to the drivers side of he engine bay. i know there was another line was all cant remember it now..maybe ill take pics later today.

and yep...those older 3.slows are great arent they? i had a 91 with which was about to hit 400 000 original km also..and it still pulled strong!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by lllateralus
430,000KM, wow.... about 270,000 miles, thats quite alot! Stock 3.0? If so, thats the most ive ever heard out of one!

Nice purchase, btw! (the runner)
got about 475k miles on my 89 3.0...it has a burnt valve, but other than that ive hade no problems. im going to get a set of heads for it soon. anybody no a good place to get some?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:49 AM

I just did the ISR mod on my 3.0 a week or so ago as well. I noticed the same thing, nice and quiet down low but really howls at wide open throttle and high RPMs. Best $15 I've spent on my runner so far!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...a/59a4d765.jpg

I just plumbed the lines into the PVC by threading in brass fittings. No nuts to come loose inside and seems to work really well. Since the photo, I plumbed my lines a little differently just to refine the system.

The rubber fittings at the end of the PVC are for sewer pipe, from HD as well. They reduce from 2.5" to 3".
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Elvota,
That looks pretty clean and sweet... I still need to do mine.

Did you just use the brass fittings to cut the threads, or actually thread the hole before you put the brass in?

Any melting of the rubber at reducer closest to the engine?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Just drilled and tapped with fitting. That PVC is the thick stuff for electrical, maybe a 1/4" or more. Pre-curved, just cut length down to size.

I was concerened about heat on the rubber fittings as well, but they are really thick and have held up fine. I have been running this set up for about 6 months. That's through the summer in AZ, with 104 plus degree days.

Good test in my opinion.

Just for further info, the air filter converter I got at Autozone for $15 or so. In the super cool tuner section, but fits perfectly without drilling.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
Just drilled and tapped with fitting. That PVC is the thick stuff for electrical, maybe a 1/4" or more. Pre-curved, just cut length down to size.

I was concerened about heat on the rubber fittings as well, but they are really thick and have held up fine. I have been running this set up for about 6 months. That's through the summer in AZ, with 104 plus degree days.

Good test in my opinion.

Just for further info, the air filter converter I got at Autozone for $15 or so. In the super cool tuner section, but fits perfectly without drilling.
i see that you haver a breather valve attached to one of the hoses....could you have just tapped that into the isr tube?

you said it was pre-curved....any angle in perticular? good looking setup...maybe on thurs if i get bored i will head over to home depot and do mine...woot woot....

Last edited by brandontrek; 03-21-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Good eye on the breather. I have since changed that and plumbed back into the ISR as factory. Seems to work better. That breather let a lot of oil out, messy.

In the pic, not that you can see, I still have the factory resonator plumbed in under my new intake. I had read that without it the intake would be noisy. I have since eliminated that as well. I didn't find a difference in noise once it was gone.

Come to think of it, I guess I need to take another pic.

Like others mentioned above, this setup does give a great growl under load... and maybe a slight gain in HP.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

haha...snap another pic for all of us...i had a breather on my jetta when i modded the intake...then i just ran it in with the intake pipe...you also said you used brass fittings to run the take-offs...any specific ones...did they thread them selves into the pvc?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Standard brass, from hardware store. My only concern was the diameter for the lines I was plumbing in. I think I got elbows, but obviously one could do anything they wanted or needed to do. They self threaded into the plastic.

By the way, I think the angle of the PVC was like 130 degree or something for the elbow. You'll see there are two to choose from at HD. One is 90, and the other one works.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:58 PM

i had a muffler shop bend up a length of 3" exhaust pipe for mine. I drilled the holes for the vacuum lines out a bit oversized and used rubber grommets and unthreaded brass elbow fittings (similar to the toyboxfab style i think). the grommets seemed to seal fine on their own but i put some black weatherstrip adhesive on the outside where the fitting goes through, just to be safe. like a few others, i had to put a small dent on the outside of the pipe to clear the master cylinder. been working great so far
Old 03-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

well you all will be seein pics of mine come thursday and i have a day off..(9 straight days...these last three are 12 hour shifts...)
Old 03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Mr. BOB needs to post PICS too!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:17 PM

Does anyone else notice more power on hills with the ISR mod? I rigged up my ISR pipe about 3 weeks ago. I went into the mountains and on hills where my cruise control has kicked out before(read always did), I actually maintained speed.

No noticable change in milage, but I'm happy with it.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

I ISRd Mine TOO

Originally Posted by Bill
Does anyone else notice more power on hills with the ISR mod? I rigged up my ISR pipe about 3 weeks ago. I went into the mountains and on hills where my cruise control has kicked out before(read always did), I actually maintained speed.

No noticable change in milage, but I'm happy with it.
Maybe a little more power. Definately a bit more response, it seems a little more "goosey." Which I like. I can't wait to see how it does when I pull a trailer now...

Got mine done last Friday, took a 2 hr trip and back on Saturday. Going, I laid the hammer down and didn't expect any improvement in gas milage, however, I thought it used just a little less than I was expecting. On the way back, I took the state highways instead of interstate, and averaged 60 miles per gallon.

Whoops, um... I mean I averaged 60 miles per HOUR. LOL. But there was a definate improvement in milage, the odometer read about 27 miles HIGHER at half-tank. I'll finish the tank off this week just going to work, and I'll see how the 2nd half tank holds out with a little more stop-and-go.

It took me exactly 1 hour from leaving the Home Depot cash register until I had the hood closed again, and the tools put up. Definately the best $25 mod I've done.

No problem clearing the brake cyllinder...

but the dipsticks are a pain to get to now....
Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Glad things went well.

Yes, dipstick sucks. Nice how it just clears the booster, isn't it. Almost like HD made that arc just for the 3.0. I actually found a flag post bracket that almost works perfectly to attach the K&N filter... that would have been way cool.

How did you support the MAF? I welded a bracket of sorts, but does yours work off the stock air cleaner or other support?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, that's the stock air cleaner chamber, with the K&N drop-in filter. A while back, I did what I think they call the deckplate mod: Drill holes in the bottom of the air filter case, and remove the little section of pipe which points forward (and assures that the intake for the air filter come through the front grill).
This basically removes a lot of restriction between the birdies and your air filter. It also screws up the idea of putting a snorkel on, unless you plug all the holes you just made. Hmm. Will deal with that later, probably with a Junkyard part.

Quick Reply: First Mod... Awww :)