Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

First 22RE, could use some help with stutter and dying at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 22RE, could use some help with stutter and dying at idle

Just signed up to get some advice!

So I just bought my truck not 2 weeks ago, this is the first fuel injected vehicle I have ever owned.

I did do the generic "new car tuneup" stuff- Oil, plugs, filters, diz cap, wires, etc. So both fuel filter and air filter are new.

The other day when I was driving to work I pulled up to a stop sign and the truck died. Thinking it was just a fluke, or that I stalled it out, I restarted the truck (started right back up) and drove to the next stoplight where it died again. It doesn't seem to be stuttering then dying, when there is no gas it will go from whatever RPM to 0. I was able to get it into work by feathering the gas at any stop.

When I was finally able to look at the truck it had cooled down. It started right up and idled, but the idle was incredibly rough, if I give it some gas it sounds like it is running normally from 2-3k RPM, but shy of that it runs rough, and above that it stutters.

When it's cold it will idle, but not very well, as soon as it warms up it will not idle and will die if not feathered.

It also seems to be using a LOT of gas.

I took it to a friend who found an exhaust leak right after the collector, we removed the exhaust and welded up the leak and welded in a support collar to help any further breaks. He is a hyundai mechanic, and to him it seemed like either the TPS or EGR sensor is not working.

I cleaned the throttle body, it was rather gross, and I tried running the truck and unplugging the TPS sensor to see if it changed. It did, but not for the better. After cleaning and reassembly it is still running the same (bad). Next up is trying to clean out the EGR.

I saw a youtube video where someone had the same issue, and most comments pointed to a bad vacuum line somewhere, but no one could specifically identify WHAT, and coming from my background of carbed vehicles with minimal vacuum lines I am at a complete loss!

Also worth mentioning: Not throwing any codes.

Any advice would be helpful!

TL;DR-
Truck all of the sudden dies at idle, runs fine at 2-3k RPM, will idle before it has warmed up. Very rough idle when cold. Seems to be using a lot of gas.

Last edited by Erikaufdiemeer; 04-15-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since you have no idea when the last tune up was it might be a good idea.

With these engines stepping on the throttle pedal just gives it air

Might be a fuel pump dieing of old age could be a fuel filter.

Might even be a mouse nest in the intake pipe.

What shape is the air filter in??
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Since you have no idea when the last tune up was it might be a good idea.

With these engines stepping on the throttle pedal just gives it air

Might be a fuel pump dieing of old age could be a fuel filter.

Might even be a mouse nest in the intake pipe.

What shape is the air filter in??
Woops, forgot to mention, I did do the generic "new car tuneup" stuff- Oil, plugs, filters, diz cap, wires, etc. So both fuel filter and air filter are new.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Could be a cold start injector stuck "on". It adds extra fuel when the engine is cold to aid in starting, but if stuck on permanently will flood the engine when warm, particularly at idle. Minght be why adding extra air by holding the accelerator pedal open improves things a bit.

I'm not sure of the mechanics of accessing it, but the general advice on this forum seems to be to pull it out and see if it is continually squirting fuel even with a warm engine (catch the fuel in something so you don't start a fire). Then you need to check the ECT (engine coolant temp sensor) to see if the ECU is getting accurate temp data, or if it's thinking that the engine is always cold.

You probably need to dip into the FSM (factory service manual). Here's a link: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/. Go to the engine MFI (multiport fuel injection) pages and look under diagnostic procedures for more help.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
Could be a cold start injector stuck "on". It adds extra fuel when the engine is cold to aid in starting, but if stuck on permanently will flood the engine when warm, particularly at idle. Minght be why adding extra air by holding the accelerator pedal open improves things a bit.

I'm not sure of the mechanics of accessing it, but the general advice on this forum seems to be to pull it out and see if it is continually squirting fuel even with a warm engine (catch the fuel in something so you don't start a fire). Then you need to check the ECT (engine coolant temp sensor) to see if the ECU is getting accurate temp data, or if it's thinking that the engine is always cold.

You probably need to dip into the FSM (factory service manual). Here's a link: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/. Go to the engine MFI (multiport fuel injection) pages and look under diagnostic procedures for more help.
That is an awesome link and good advice, thank you!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
having dealt with past issues of my 22re dying at idle speeds, i would first check the idle adjustment screw and make sure it still has the o-ring that helps keep its position, and that it's adjusted properly. if it doesn't have the gasket, the screw can turn on its own with engine vibrations (mine was doing this). i chose to fix with teflon plumbers tape instead of buy an oring - been fine for years. that's where i would start.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
having dealt with past issues of my 22re dying at idle speeds, i would first check the idle adjustment screw and make sure it still has the o-ring that helps keep its position, and that it's adjusted properly. if it doesn't have the gasket, the screw can turn on its own with engine vibrations (mine was doing this). i chose to fix with teflon plumbers tape instead of buy an oring - been fine for years. that's where i would start.
Thanks for replying, I checked the idle adjustment screw, it's pretty solid in there but just in case I turned it up a little which did increase the idle RPM, but it still dies after warm up so I turned it back to where it was.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM

For future reference the issue was a broken (literally broken, not just faulty) AFM sensor in the airbox. In my case the little door physically broke so they engine was trying to run WOT.