Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Exhaust Manifold Cracked - Advice Regarding Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Cracked - Advice Regarding Options

The thread title pretty much sums it up... my exhaust manifold on the 22R-E is cracked. Real good, too. It's not pretty... I'm not quite sure what to do with it at this point. Still drives just fine, but it won't likely pass emissions with an obvious out-flow of hot exhaust from straight out the side of the engine... Otherwise, it's running in super awesome fashion.. Just passed 260,000 miles and it still runs beautifully. Just recently replaced spark plugs (factory Denso) and replaced the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. (I didn't fully spell that out to sound smart, by the way - it's just my own weird style.. everybody knows what a PCV valve is. Or at least they should... heh heh...)

But anyways, what I'm posting this up for is to request the advice of you, my fellow Toy owners, some of whom I imagine have run into this issue before... what'd you guys recommend?

Should I stick with replacing it with a factory unit, or put something a bit more exotic on, say maybe a performance header kit from LC Engineering or something like that? I'm fully aware that upgrading engine performance isn't just a simple "bolt on a few parts" kind of affair - it's much much more deeply involved if you wanna do it right... Basically I'm rather financially strained right now, to put it mildly. So I'm not sure what to make of this new situation. It progressively started to sound a little "different" over the past month or so and I started to become concerned when I would drive it. Sure enough, cracked right next to the #2 exhaust port. Really bad.

Any opinions/advice on what to replace the old one with are welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, guys... this situation sucks.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM

If you have few hundred dollars to spend, get a header.

Like you said though, you are kinda financially strained so just order a stock exhaust manifold for like a hundred bucks or so. Or go find one in the junkyard.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cosmo
The thread title pretty much sums it up... my exhaust manifold on the 22R-E is cracked. Real good, too. It's not pretty... I'm not quite sure what to do with it at this point. Still drives just fine, but it won't likely pass emissions with an obvious out-flow of hot exhaust from straight out the side of the engine... Otherwise, it's running in super awesome fashion.. Just passed 260,000 miles and it still runs beautifully. Just recently replaced spark plugs (factory Denso) and replaced the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. (I didn't fully spell that out to sound smart, by the way - it's just my own weird style.. everybody knows what a PCV valve is. Or at least they should... heh heh...)

But anyways, what I'm posting this up for is to request the advice of you, my fellow Toy owners, some of whom I imagine have run into this issue before... what'd you guys recommend?

Should I stick with replacing it with a factory unit, or put something a bit more exotic on, say maybe a performance header kit from LC Engineering or something like that? I'm fully aware that upgrading engine performance isn't just a simple "bolt on a few parts" kind of affair - it's much much more deeply involved if you wanna do it right... Basically I'm rather financially strained right now, to put it mildly. So I'm not sure what to make of this new situation. It progressively started to sound a little "different" over the past month or so and I started to become concerned when I would drive it. Sure enough, cracked right next to the #2 exhaust port. Really bad.

Any opinions/advice on what to replace the old one with are welcomed and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, guys... this situation sucks.
I'm going to give you props for a very well put-together post - it's rare to see.

Do a quick Advanced Search for this in your year model section - I want to say there was a thread about 3 months ago where a dude had this same problem.
IIRC he was in Cali so the emissions thing was going to screw him too.

Good luck,

Fink
Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can scrape up the money, get a header, it may cost a little bit more than a stock exhaust manifold but it will be worth it.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Yeah i would go for a set of headers.

Or you could weld it if you really dont have the money.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
GDR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We put a new one on my buddy's truck a few years ago.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2418&ppt=C0022
Old 07-17-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It would probably cost just as much to have someone who knows what they're doing to repair it as it would to find one used. But, get an estimate and compare. A header....a good one....will cost a lot more.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Find a used/stock manifold...
A. Why stray from a unit that has worked so well for a 1/4 million miles??
B. It will be cheaper (junkyard quoted me $40) and quicker than searching and listening to endless arguments as to what kind of header to "invest" in.
C. It's a 22re not some 350 v8!! the gains from an aftermarket header can't be all that much

Good luck brother!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks for all the input on the matter... you guys rock! This is why I love this community so much... everyone with a common interest (in yotas at least) , and tons of super knowledgeable and helpful people..

Given my financial situation and the fact that a "performance" header upgrade kit would only provide minimal gains in the absence of other mods (believe me if I had the cash to spend I'd have a 22R-TE in there in a heartbeat, maybe even custom fab a twin-turbo setup, and have it intercooled and port-and-polished, all that good stuff), I'll probably just go down to a local salvage yard in Denver called the Yota Yard. They have tons of great stuff down there - for anyone who lives in the area and isn't familiar with them, look 'em up. They're located off of 31st and Walnut.

Awesome place to get good quality parts from neglected/scrapped/wrecked Toyotas (they have mostly Trucks/Tacomas and 4Runners, with some Land Cruisers as well as a handful of odds-and-ends cars, but they specialize in the 4WD stuff).. it's kinda sad to see the unfortunate state that many of these Trucks and Runners get into to end up in a salvage yard like that, but it's cool at the same time that part of them can be used to resurrect or sustain the life of another Toy...

I am a machinist by day, but our shop isn't the "auto" kind of machine shop; rather it's other general production machining.. Still, I could probably fix it myself given the time and the blessings of my boss to use some of the tooling/machinery during off-production hours... but nobody knows a Toyota better than Toyota themselves; I'll just stick with a stock unit I guess - provided that I don't feel comfortable with attempting the repair myself. In which case my previous statement would still redundantly apply

Thanks again for the input guys!! Best regards and wishes to all...
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

I just replaced my warped exhaust manifold with a used one I found at Yoda Jim's (I-70 and Colorado). They sold it to me for $25, including a used o2 sensor and block off plates. There were about 6 other manifolds there that I saw just 2 days ago.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Test that sensor before you go relying on it for good performance. But, I guess if you do use it and the motor starts running bad, you'll know why.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM

I wasn't planning on using it, just wanted to mention what came with the deal for $25.

Originally Posted by thook
Test that sensor before you go relying on it for good performance. But, I guess if you do use it and the motor starts running bad, you'll know why.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM

I have an exhaust manifold that I bought brand new tthat I only used two months before I put my header on. If your interested PM me
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Olas
I wasn't planning on using it, just wanted to mention what came with the deal for $25.
Well, hell.......test it. Might work for a spare.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

I have one that I just pulled off my 89 22re. You pay freight, I will give it to ya.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Just curious did any of you notice an MPG difference with the headers?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 AM

every get to golden? I have a manifold from a 94 22re let me know