Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

excesively high idle. Help PLEASE cant figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excesively high idle. Help PLEASE cant figure it out

one day i went out started my truck. excesively high idling but i thought it was just the choke or something because it was cold.

after that i drove it around for about 15minutes it still high idle. that was two days ago

now it is idling really high still..

i think its the choke held open or the dash pot messeed up

it happened after one day one of my distrubotor caps came off and was sparking i fixed that ran fine but idled really really high and it still is.

any ideas??
Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 PM

I am not an expert on 3.0 but on the 22re the coolent is what controls the idle up valve. Check your coolent level and if it is low burp it to get the air out.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
make sure the accelerater cable isn't pinched or stuck in any way. What year truck motor?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
make sure the accelerater cable isn't pinched or stuck in any way. What year truck motor?
90 4runner but a 89 4runner v6 3.0.

Ill check the coolant for it.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres no choke on these EFI engines and the dashpot dampens the closing of the throttle plate when you take your foot off the gas, and if yours is an auto, you don't have a dashpot.

x2 on checking the coolant level. The IAC is controlled by the coolant temperature, much like how a thermostat works (wax and plungers and what not). but you say it happened after one of the caps came off... Make sure the TPS is working correctly.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Theres no choke on these EFI engines and the dashpot dampens the closing of the throttle plate when you take your foot off the gas, and if yours is an auto, you don't have a dashpot.

x2 on checking the coolant level. The IAC is controlled by the coolant temperature, much like how a thermostat works (wax and plungers and what not). but you say it happened after one of the caps came off... Make sure the TPS is working correctly.
I will check the coolant level in about 5minutes its warm right now

and its a manual 3.0 89 v6.

the TPS is???
Old 03-14-2009, 03:01 PM

I see that its the v6, but I didn't know if it's an auto or manual. So you DO have a dashpot. How high does it idle? Does it ever come down, say after driving for an hour or so? Take the intake tube off (from air filter box to the throttle body) and look at the throttle plate. Maybe the dashpot is stuck so its keeping the throttle open some. I've never heard of this happening before but it's possible. Also, I don't think anything electrical would damage the dashpot. TPS=Throttle Position Sensor. It does just as the name implies, senses the position of the throttle plate.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 PM

I see that its the v6, but I didn't know if it's an auto or manual. So you DO have a dashpot. How high does it idle? Does it ever come down, say after driving for an hour or so? Take the intake tube off (from air filter box to the throttle body) and look at the throttle plate. Maybe the dashpot is stuck so its keeping the throttle open some. I've never heard of this happening before but it's possible. Also, I don't think anything electrical would damage the dashpot. TPS=Throttle Position Sensor. It does just as the name implies, senses the position of the throttle plate.
lol alright man i will. and im talking like 4000 rpms not sure i need to reset my rpm gage. its not working atm. but its flpng high.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:19 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
with the truck running see if you can force the throttle closed. Maybe the dashpot is stuck. it happed on my 89 22re.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
with the truck running see if you can force the throttle closed. Maybe the dashpot is stuck. it happed on my 89 22re.
your talking about the lever oun the top side of ur engine right?? lol

whers the dashpot at?? ive been trying to figure it out all the pictures i see are blurry.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Countryhick
lol alright man i will. and im talking like 4000 rpms not sure i need to reset my rpm gage. its not working atm. but its flpng high.
bajebus! I don't think low coolant by itself would cause that high of idle. The IAC can only let in so much air Maybe you're low on coolant AND the dashpot is stuck. 4000 still seems high for even the dashpot to be malfunctioning. The dashpot only affects the last like 1/2" or so of the plate closing. You definitely need to take a look at the throttle body. Any CEL codes? Even if the light isn't flashing, check to see if there are any.

so this happened like right after one of the dizzy wires came off?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM

bajebus! I don't think low coolant by itself would cause that high of idle. The IAC can only let in so much air Maybe you're low on coolant AND the dashpot is stuck. 4000 still seems high for even the dashpot to be malfunctioning. The dashpot only affects the last like 1/2" or so of the plate closing. You definitely need to take a look at the throttle body. Any CEL codes? Even if the light isn't flashing, check to see if there are any.

so this happened like right after one of the dizzy wires came off?
all the wires that go to your distributor cap. one of them came unplugged and the wires were sparking i touched the dist cap not thinking and shocked the out of myself.. lol

but my check engine light is one.

im going to go to Schucks they got free CEL checks... so tomorrow i am

tonight im going to my buddys rodeo he won 5k last night.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM

your talking about the lever oun the top side of ur engine right?? lol

whers the dashpot at?? ive been trying to figure it out all the pictures i see are blurry.
okay okay. follow the intake tube from the air box back to the throttle body. The dashpot will kind of be on the side of the trottle body, under where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
all the wires that go to your distributor cap. one of them came unplugged and the wires were sparking i touched the dist cap not thinking and shocked the out of myself.. lol

tonight im going to my buddys rodeo he won 5k last night.
They don't check OBD1 systems... All you need is a paper clip and a pen and paper.

Search!!!

Make sure your throttle is closing all the way..
Old 03-14-2009, 03:46 PM

lol. That would have saved us a lot of trouble! No need to go to Schucks. Getting codes is SO simple, a caveman could do it! ()
All you need is a paperclip. Yes, a paperclip.
Find the diagnosis box near the fuse box under the hood. open it up. Unfold the paperclip and stick one end in "TE1" and the other in "E1". Then turn the truck on to "ACC", but don't start it. The CEL light should flash. Count the number of flashes. If there is more than one code, there will be like a 2 (maybe longer) pause between them. I'm pretty sure if its a code like 32, that instead of 32 consecutive flashes it will be like three flashes, short pause (maybe a second) then two more. Then a long pause and the same again if its the same code.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 03-14-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:51 PM

Heres a link to a picture of the 3vze throttle body area. Also, I would suggest investing in a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. They are like $20 a schucks.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ystery-150042/
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM

I had a high idle problem when my thermostat failed. The engine would never get quite hot enough and it would stay in high idle mode. I'd for sure pull of the intake hose going to the throttle body to see if the butterfly was stuck open (even a little).
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 AM

you ever solve the high idle?