YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Engine Issues (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/engine-issues-315571/)

CaseyB 05-25-2022 08:24 PM

Engine Issues

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone I hope you are doing well!!

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup with a 2.4L 22RE in it and I have encountered some issues with the oil and gaskets.
When the engine is cold I start it up and a whole bunch of white smoke comes out of the exhaust but then when you run it after a while it goes away. Someone said it was bad valve stem seals but I thought bad seals cause low compression? I have posted the compression tests down below in the attachments.
Someone mentioned I have piston slap too. I just would like to be kinda and directed on where to go from this info!

Let me know, Thanks

87-4runner 05-26-2022 03:30 AM

White smoke says water to me.
maybe a leaking head gasket.
my 22rte has a catch can, very little smoke but, I get this emulsified gooey looking crap in the catch can. Oil on the dip stick looks fine. Another clue might be that emulsified looking stuff in your oil cap.

scope103 05-26-2022 06:09 AM

Very generally, white smoke means water, blue smoke oil, black smoke running rich.

Really bad valve guides will impact compression, but not if they are leaking slowly. If they are leaking slowly, during shutdown oil will leak from the valve space into the cylinders. The usual sign of this is blue smoke on startup, as a night's worth of oil is burned up.

Blue? White? Black? What am I, an interior decorator? Put your hand in the exhaust stream. Is it oily? Damp? Sooty?

JoeS 05-26-2022 06:55 AM

Sounds like valve stems leaking. If it's cool at night it could be condensation in the exhaust system.

Jimkola 05-26-2022 10:31 AM

The sparkplugs will help tell the story. If burning oil, the deposits will be evident on the electrode. And the exhaust from burning oil will usually have a bluish color.
Valve stem seals leaking wouldn't affect compression numbers much, if at all.
I'd do a block test and a leak down test,. The block test will show if water/combustion gases are mixing. (i.e headgasket)
The leak down test should give indication which cylinder(s) have issues, and what to concentrate on during disassembly(rings, intake/exhaust valve or guides)

22R# engines were all prone to a certain amount of piston slap. You got a long stroke engine with fairly short piston skirts. As the piston travels up the piston skirt will rock forward slightly causing the "slap" sound. It tends to be most noticeable when the engine is cold and at idle. Typically improves as the engine warms up.

If you do have to do any disassembly It's important to run all of those tests first. I can't tell you how many times people get impatient and just start taking everything apart, and then don't see anything obvious. And without the test data they are now forced to guess. And they either guess wrong, don't address all the issues, or replace more than necessary.